Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

delaval wrote: »
    Glanbia will be 37c for May

Arrabawn board meeting late this week Kev and fully expecting 37 vat inc for may ,but its Arrabawn so u could expect anything,this is also the first month of deductions for shares post 2015,so there's me down 0.7 cent straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The supermarkets are increasing milk by 10 cent for 1 litre and 20 cent for 2 litres they are blaming it on the fodder crisis :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The supermarkets are increasing milk by 10 cent for 1 litre and 20 cent for 2 litres they are blaming it on the fodder crisis :rolleyes:

Glanbia are getting a 10 cent rise from shops so it not the supermarkets this time. Milk price is miles off market levels it should be low forties at this stage. So much for the new company looking after the farmers.
    Not alone are we being rode, Glanbia just wiped its dick on the curtains and left without breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

mf240 wrote: »
    Glanbia are getting a 10 cent rise from shops so it not the supermarkets this time. Milk price is miles off market levels it should be low forties at this stage. So much for the new company looking after the farmers.
    Not alone are we being rode, Glanbia just wiped its dick on the curtains and left without breakfast.

as one patronising bas t ard in glanbia said to me at a meeting once " i can see you`ve got strong opinions about this"....

dont worry anyways no doubt they`re savindg up all the 10 cents for our prem in the winter months ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

So much for the new company looking after the farmers. Not alone are we being rode,

The new company can only "look after the farmers" to the extent that it doesn't interfere with it's solemn legal duty to maximise the returns to it's shareholders (who, even if they happen to be farmers, are not farmers for the purposes of the law..).

And maximising returns means selling for more and paying less.

It's a bit like the google / amazon / [insert name here] tax argument. If the boards of these companies decided to pay out more of shareholder funds on tax than they are legally obliged to they would be fired, and/or sued personally for malfeasance.

Never did understand why so many continuing farmers so relaxed about co-ops changing sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Arrabawn board meeting late this week Kev and fully expecting 37 vat inc for may ,but its Arrabawn so u could expect anything,this is also the first month of deductions for shares post 2015,so there's me down 0.7 cent straight away

tanker driver told me collections are well up last few days,

I'm ok for shares (on the road a long time, served my dues and have the tee shirt :D) but don't want be looking at super levy next march , originally thought we'd be ok but with a good back could we run into bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

jomoloney wrote: »
    tanker driver told me collections are well up last few days,

I'm ok for shares (on the road a long time, served my dues and have the tee shirt :D) but don't want be looking at super levy next march , originally thought we'd be ok but with a good back could we run into bother?

Same here, up until a couple of weeks ago, I would have been very confident of no super levy this year. But not so sure now. I'd say we will be depending on Kerry keeping the country under quota.

kowtow wrote: »
    The new company can only "look after the farmers" to the extent that it doesn't interfere with it's solemn legal duty to maximise the returns to it's shareholders (who, even if they happen to be farmers, are not farmers for the purposes of the law..).

And maximising returns means selling for more and paying less.

It's a bit like the google / amazon / [insert name here] tax argument. If the boards of these companies decided to pay out more of shareholder funds on tax than they are legally obliged to they would be fired, and/or sued personally for malfeasance.

Never did understand why so many continuing farmers so relaxed about co-ops changing sides.

no offence kowtow but your mixing up the old plc paymasters with our new ahem co-op(limited company really) that is supposed to be doing just that ie. maximising farmer returns......

the whole thing was about the plc putting its farmer suppliers at arms lenght and unaffected by its corporate duties...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

no offence kowtow but your mixing up the old plc paymasters with our new ahem co-op(limited company really) that is supposed to be doing just that ie. maximising farmer returns......

the whole thing was about the plc putting its farmer suppliers at arms lenght and unaffected by its corporate duties...

you are right, I am a bit out of date on this one since the new agreement.

The principal still applies though - unless the agreement really did deliver an unfettered arms length business with no obligation whatever [edit: other than] to maximise returns for the minority partner.

Did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone planning on temporary leasing quota, is it worth it? Glanbia are 2cent to lease, last date to get in the form for it is the 14th. If ya send in looking for an amount, how likely are they to give it to ya, or will they say give you a fraction of it if its totally oversubscribed?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone planning on temporary leasing quota, is it worth it? Glanbia are 2cent to lease, last date to get in the form for it is the 14th. If ya send in looking for an amount, how likely are they to give it to ya, or will they say give you a fraction of it if its totally oversubscribed?

not much volume available by all accounts timmaay... not unless ms. whelan has bit the bullet like previously mentioned....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

may lease some myself, just to offset some risk!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

not much volume available by all accounts timmaay... not unless ms. whelan has bit the bullet like previously mentioned....:D
    posted it yesterday. i doubt it will help too many of ye but sure better to be realistic and offer it in

jes lads arrabawn in the last week collected more milk than any other previous year a friend was telling me, im getting a little scared!!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    jes lads arrabawn in the last week collected more milk than any other previous year a friend was telling me, im getting a little scared!!
    you can send your cows up to me if you want:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    you can send your cows up to me if you want:D
    how much per cow ill let u know by september:D:D

how much per cow ill let u know by september:D:D
    ah september will be too late

Think that current price will drive lads to feed more meal and push more milk out but come September time the penny will finally drop and we could be in a potential super leave situation,lads really need to keep an eye on their own situation cause if they start deductions it's going to leave a lot in a serious hole financially.i still feel Arrabawn will come in under.was in greenfield farm today with disc group and there even stating to think about super levy ,but there Glanbia suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

If you are willing to risk over supply you may be prepared to pay the fine next year when price will not be as good

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Im working in arrabawn been a serious glut of milk in there in past two weeks wouldnt get over worried yet though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

delaval wrote: »
    If you are willing to risk over supply you may be prepared to pay the fine next year when price will not be as good

How much of a risk is it if your variable costs are low. Fixed costs will be there whether you produce the extra milk or not.

was down there last year jerry, basic setup good land tho. ya hopefully arrabawn will be ok with the west suppliers. reckon theres about 50/50 with a good year superlevy

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Im working in arrabawn been a serious glut of milk in there in past two weeks wouldnt get over worried yet though

Didn't some one (maybe Paddy Meskell) mention that there was about a 10% glut of cows in the Arrabawn catchment area ?

I know that the dairy sales in nenagh this year were weak compared to other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Did arrabawn set May price yet, gone very low in milk league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

How much of a risk is it if your variable costs are low. Fixed costs will be there whether you produce the extra milk or not.

I'd be very much inclined to agree with you

However fellas would want to watch their fodder supply - it wouldn't make much sense to be buying silage for cows that are producing milk on which their is a levy

im gona feed 2kg of meal for the next couple of weeks then re evaluate things come july. Definitely gona be a big problem next year tho! anyone any info on prices in arrabawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

im gona feed 2kg of meal for the next couple of weeks then re evaluate things come july. Definitely gona be a big problem next year tho! anyone any info on prices in arrabawn?

Big fella hinted at 37c yesterday but wouldn't give definate

Milk up a cent to 37 cent Kev,and deliveries back 2.2 percent on same time last year

thats great news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

thats great news!

Hmm the excitement dwindles when you remember the big feed bills that are still owed, that milk price is still a large way shy of what it should be!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement