Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad in Primary teaching...

• 23-10-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey guys...

Im currently in fourth year of studying Early childhood Education which is an honours degree...

I really want to go on and do primary school teaching, however I only have a B1 in ordinary level irish?? Anone know of my best options of places to go to study?? Is it essential I have hons Irish? If so, how do I go about getting the grade of Irish I need???:confused::confused:

Thanks guys....:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

swizzle123 wrote: »
    I really want to go on and do primary school teaching, however I only have a B1 in ordinary level irish?? Anone know of my best options of places to go to study?? Is it essential I have hons Irish? If so, how do I go about getting the grade of Irish I need???:confused::confused:

Yes minimum C3 in Hl Irish is needed, either that or a pass in first year Arts Irish, or one of a list of 3rd levels diplomas in Irish. Most people fulfill this requirement by repeating LC Irish on its own. Many people pay for grinds or attend classes to to do this. You'd have to register for the subject with the SEC (State Exams Commission).

There's lots of info on the whole area on the forum at www.educationposts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

thanks!!! I really need to sort out what im going to do with my life :P
    Thank you so so much!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kimberlite

you could also go to the UK and train in 9 months (see www.gttr.co.uk) and when you come back then you have to do the SCG exam - Scrúdú le haghaidh Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge. basically to see if you have a sufficient standard of irish. Plenty of my friends have gone that route and it is manageable. It wouldn't be quite as difficult as the leaving cert but still prose, poetry etc and an oral. also have to teach an irish lesson in the classroom and be inspected on it.
    good luck!

Ok i must actually look into that! I had heard of going to england but I wasn't sure if I would have had to start from scratch like do 3 years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kimberlite

no its all done and dusted in 9 months. much faster than here. I did the 18month post grad here. just check though some colleges over there require you to have done a science subject for Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement

aw k cool!!!! Thank you so much, that really is a huge help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

You need to pass an exam in Irish when you come back though which is supposed to be difficult so not training here does not get you out of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

Only if you plan on coming back!to be honest doing the post grad in the English curriculum opens so many opportunities to work abroad.if i had done my training this way i wouldn't be coming back to Ireland to beg for work. Good luck op.

Well i knew that if i wanted to teach in this country Irish would have to be got somewhere....
    I probably am as well to have it in case I ever wanted to come back to work here...

I wouldn't worry too much about the Irish until you know your next step. I've spent the Last two days researching teaching abroad and they really seem keen to get Uk teachers. Most international schools teach the uk curriculum. Job situation here is horrible. If i had uk training I'd be gone in a shot!

• Advertisement

So if I were to train in England I would be more or less sorted to work most countries??

Being realistic I probably will be doing it in England!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Paddytheplaster

Hi there, I hope to do the primary teaching too in the UK. The only thing is I missed the 1 Dec deadline with the GTTR in order to start in Sept 2011. Hoping to get few weeks experience in teaching here before I start.
    In UK you need to have done LC in English, Maths and a Science subject in order to qualify.
    Anyone know about the Graduate Teacher Programme in the UK?

swizzle123 wrote: »
    So if I were to train in England I would be more or less sorted to work most countries??

Being realistic I probably will be doing it in England!

This is just what I've gathered from looking abroad for work. If it were me, I'd train in UK, stay for few years and get experience and NQT year done. Then look abroad. But only you know what's best for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

If you are really serious about it, why not put everything you have into the Irish and attempt Leaving Cert Irish in June 2011? It's not too late if you put everything you have into it and get a grind. The standard is not what it once was and there's a good chance you may get a C£. If not, you haven't lost anything and could try it again next year. Meanwhile, you can apply in UK & Ireland for your training. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Sorry, that should have been C3 (not C£)

I have talked to a few over the past few days and really have thought about it, ur right I am as well to try at my Irish whats there to loose?
    I could work while studying my Irish and sit it next year!! I have been lookin into grinds and think if i were to make a start as soon as I should be hopefully able to get the grade....
    Is there any particular way I apply to sit just one subject in the leaving cert does anyone know???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

if your stll thinking of applying for the uk, you can still apply to colleges who have spaces left..be advised to apply quickly for a sept 2011 start as by the time sept 2012 comes around the new fee system will be in place and you'll be looking at twice to three times the fees..
    i'm currently on the PGCE in london and recommend it..hard work but it's done in half the time as the post grad at home and lot more job opportunities here for newly qualified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Paddytheplaster

if your stll thinking of applying for the uk, you can still apply to colleges who have spaces left..be advised to apply quickly for a sept 2011 start as by the time sept 2012 comes around the new fee system will be in place and you'll be looking at twice to three times the fees..
    i'm currently on the PGCE in london and recommend it..hard work but it's done in half the time as the post grad at home and lot more job opportunities here for newly qualified!

Where are you studying Maggie? Best of luck, thanks for the reply. I think will apply in 2012. I know its the new fee system but I want to get some real experience here and in London maybe two weeks here and two in London and then if I know I will like it then apply for it in Nov 2011.
    Did you get UK experience before you applied?
    Best of luck with the postgrad again.

Where are you studying Maggie? Best of luck, thanks for the reply. I think will apply in 2012. I know its the new fee system but I want to get some real experience here and in London maybe two weeks here and two in London and then if I know I will like it then apply for it in Nov 2011.
    Did you get UK experience before you applied?
    Best of luck with the postgrad again.

I'm in UEL Paddy, if you need experience then your right to hold on and get as much as you can. UEL didn't require UK experience, but lots of the other colleges did...but if competition for places continues then UK experience will definitly stand to you..best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Is it true that you have to now stay on in England and do a years probation before you are fully qualified?

I have been hearing rumors about this!

• Advertisement

yep, for anone starting from sept 2011 on, thay must do their probationary year in the uk..so your signing up to two years minimum here...
    on the plus with the job situation at home, you'd proably be staying here for work anyway!!

Advertisement