Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Options

Comments

chrissb8 wrote: »
    A lot of people going off on apple here as useless. I've had my mac since 2017 and it is just as good as the day I got it. I have a friend who got a mac in 2009 and only switched last year. I know computer scientists, designers, architects, engineers use them. And all of them swear by Apple Mac as being reliable, stable and capable of handling heavy projects no problem.

I went through 2 laptops in 5 years. And they were crippled by slowness, overheating, hardware/software compatibility issues. You can all wail and cry about Apple and how pricey their products are but you do pay for what you get in as so far as laptops.

"You can get better for the money you pay" I'm sure you can, but I can justify spending over €1,000 on a piece of technology that will still be going strong half a decade later.

The Iphones are a different story. How people are buying a new phone on the basis of one small change every year is just pathetic. That's where the brand/status thing comes into play. If you are getting into debt over a phone and have a payment plan to pay it off over a year or two you need to have a look at yourself.

The people you mention are using work specific tech and systems.

You cannot compare a 2 Grand Mac used for design with a 400 Acer from Dixon's.

I am in my third Dell. Batteries never last but I know that going in. I have in total, over 15 years paid a collective 900 euro on all off them and I'm very confident that the one in using now that I picked up second hand for 250 far outperforms your 2017 Mac. The one that's now 15 years old still works fyi but is resigned to the cupboard as a backup.

It should still be working well after only 3 years by the way. Most laptops will tick along for a decade with reasonable maintenance and care. Even longer if it was high spec and you update drive and ram

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I phones are more expensive than other products with the same spec and abilities. They are also more restricted.

That's just reality. Yes Google and Samsung are pricey at the high level but compare the price and the spec, you get more bang for buck with them

I will say that the new iPhone 11 has a fantastic cpu by all accounts.

Please link me a phone with the spec as the iPhone 11 that is cheaper. Genuinely curious to see you back up your claims.

Also Android always say "it's restrictive" but nothing more really to back it up and ignore how these "restrictions" help the phone against viruses and product is less fragmented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention. It's all about the look for apple users.
    Nevermind you're forced to use their ****e software and their compatibility with other computers is terrible, and their phones let you do nothing in terms of accessing their files easily without all the useless itunes and apple software they force you to install, and nevermind the fact their macbooks have such ****e hardware you'll end up paying an extra 1000 euro vs an actual useful computer.

It all boils down to look. I have an apple product therefore I look like I have money and in my eyes that makes me cool.

Brainwashed by marketing.

Always enjoy the side by side comparisons for new iPhones. .all the "new" & "innovative" features have typically appeared on Android devices 12-18 months earlier

Yes I do.

When i see a girl carrying a box of Durex I take here to be a slut.

Jesus! That's quite the statement. Do many girls you know openly carry condoms in their hands? Most would be in handbags and wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Strumms wrote: »
    I think people have no issues about people using Apple or whatever phone... they just get sick to their back teeth of the absolute nonsense and white noise some Apple geeks, sheeple, nerds, gimps go on with when you just casually mention how much you are enjoying your new S10... “ohhh but the iPhone has xxx, ohh but you can’t do xxx with the Samsung, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Steve Jobsssss shît, tissue please”

Sounds like the kind of thing iPhone users get lambasted for :pac:

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Please link me a phone with the spec as the iPhone 11 that is cheaper. Genuinely curious to see you back up your claims.

Also Android always say "it's restrictive" but nothing more really to back it up and ignore how these "restrictions" help the phone against viruses and product is less fragmented.

Did you see where I said that the cpu in the 11 is considered a genuine jump in tech and performance? You should have, you quoted it!

But you might consider this:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_x-8858.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9+-8967.php

Amazon: iPhone x 64gb at 619 sterling compared to galaxy s9 at 429 sterling. Since even cheaper but I went mostly like for like where I could.

If you want to compare the 11 only, the S10 on paper is ahead. 16gb ram compared to 4 ffs! 4gb ram in today's top line is ****e!

Cpu: Octa-core (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4x1.78 GHz Kryo) in the S10

Hexa-core (2x2.65 GHz Lightning + 4x1.8 GHz Thunder) in the iPhone 11 albeit as I said, the A13 appears to benchmark very well for it's on paper spec.

The I phone did have an additional 6 months to launch as well though which is why they got that jump on cpu architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Apple-iPhone-11-vs-OnePlus-8-Pro

Did you see where I said that the cpu in the 11 is considered a genuine jump in tech and performance? You should have, you quoted it!

But you might consider this:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_x-8858.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9+-8967.php

Amazon: iPhone x 64gb at 619 sterling compared to galaxy s9 at 429 sterling. Since even cheaper but I went mostly like for like where I could.

WHy are you comparing older phones and in sterling?

WHy are you comparing older phones and in sterling?

They were both released at similar times and in competition with each other so why not? Is it not valid? Did people not buy them? Are people still not buying them? Does sterling not change to euro equally for both phones?

Yes, I know about this phone and it's definitely good.

But I woudn't call it "a fraction of the price of an iPhone" at €719,(link) compared to €829 for an iPhone 11.

iPhone is dear but it does have some benefits and also some people prefer the iOS interface over Android.

All about personal choice and at the end of it all we all get choice on great phones that you can choose to buy.

I just don't get why people get so judgemental about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, The North Face etc have been ruined to a certain extent by the shams who wear their apparel (especially stuff with the large branding) so I’ll likely be judgey around those people.

I don’t buy the whole Audi/BMW stereotype. There are a variety of wánkers on the road driving a wide range of autos - better sorted demographically. If I was going to pick one car though that does attract ballbágs it would be RangeRover. Almost always driven by a wánker.

They were both released at similar times and in competition with each other so why not? Is it not valid? Did people not buy them? Are people still not buying them? Does sterling not change to euro equally for both phones?

Well I was talking about the iPhone 11 and current pricing not older models with adjusted prices. The iPhone X is obsolete now so they're not Apple prices.

You shoudl be comparing it to the S10 at €769 (Official Samsung Price) but that woudln't suit you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I phones are more expensive than other products with the same spec and abilities. They are also more restricted.

I've been using iphones for well over 10 years now and not once in all that time, have i ever thought to myself..

"I wish this phone was less restricted" :confused:

I've had android phones in the past for work and hated them. IOS just works and i'll gladly pay a premium for it. Price or value for money aren't my primary considerations. If they were i'd probably suffer a Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Here's a real world comparison between the iPhone 11 and Samsung S10, two devices of a broadly similar price and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o04aid1M2k&t=292s

Almost every app with only a couple of exceptions loaded up more quickly on iPhone. And every single app opened up without any problems on iPhone, whereas on android there were the inevitable couple of apps that didn't load properly, loaded at the wrong resolution or glitched out, which is totally consistent with my experience of the Android OS and apps from the completely unregulated Google Play Store, where errors and glitches just are a fact of life, compared to an equivalent iPhone which has broadly similar features but they always work, all of the time.

As someone who's developed apps for both platforms, I can tell you that Android device manufacturers are very good at putting in tons of RAM, high performance CPUs and other headline grabbing numbers that look good on comparison sites. However they're often terrible at providing adequate bus speeds for transferring data around, or managing thermals and keeping the CPU from being throttled, and that's before you get to the amount of CPU cycles that get hogged by background processing from the OS and other apps. When you build something out of the box and don't spend time painstakingly optimising you'll typically find better performance on a couple of years old iPhone than a top of the range current Android flagship. A lot of developers do still prefer Android though because it's so easy to throw any old rubbish up on Google Play, compared to all of Apple's quality control hoops you have to jump through. And as an end user, if you want something you can tinker with rather than something that just works, then an Android device is more interesting from that point of view too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not a brand but men who wear black or brown dress shoes with jeans and in a non work setting.
    Your mother either dresses you or I think your traveling around selling knives, gates, socks or offering to paint, clean my gutters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like android and alexa

fite me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I actually think a good set of brown brogues with jeans can look good.
    It's telling that whenever people criticise it they have no complaints about the look itself, only the fact that they associate it with a certain class of person.
    A lot of the bootcut jeans criticisms come from the same perspective.
    Wear what looks good, not what you're told you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It's telling that so many people criticizing others for the clothes they wear. The same people criticising are probably slaves to whatever tat is trendy in topshop this season.

Well I was talking about the iPhone 11 and current pricing not older models with adjusted prices.

You shoudl be comparing it to the S10 at €769 (Official Samsung Price) but that woudln't suit you of course.

What are you talking about? I compared the phones released together including the S10 and apple 11.

I gave you a lot of information but apparently you cannot read or understand it.

The S10 has significant qualities over the iPhone 11 but not totally, I accept that.

The price of a new iPhone 11 is 850, that's much more expensive than the S10 at 590 (carphonewarehouse.ie). Prepay iPhone locked is more expensive than an unlocked sim free S10.

Jeez, it's more expensive than the new s20 and now that I look again, my phone has 4gb ram and it cost me 300!

You like the os more, that's fine but accept that you paid more for less spec as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Designer dogs. You're a tosser who thinks spending over 3 thousand euro, supporting most likely a horribly run puppy farm, with mammy dogs permanently impregnated and put down when they get too old, is completely ok just because you are that snobbish that your dog has to be of a certain breed. Adoption should be the only policy. Anything else is animal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Some people like the apple user interface, some people like the android interface.

Personally I'd use a 150 euro android phone over a 1200 euro iPhone. I just can't stand the user interface on a iPhone.

Same with a MacBook, I just don't like them.

quokula wrote: »
    Here's a real world comparison between the iPhone 11 and Samsung S10, two devices of a broadly similar price and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o04aid1M2k&t=292s

Almost every app with only a couple of exceptions loaded up more quickly on iPhone. And every single app opened up without any problems on iPhone, whereas on android there were the inevitable couple of apps that didn't load properly, loaded at the wrong resolution or glitched out, which is totally consistent with my experience of the Android OS and apps from the completely unregulated Google Play Store, where errors and glitches just are a fact of life, compared to an equivalent iPhone which has broadly similar features but they always work, all of the time.

As someone who's developed apps for both platforms, I can tell you that Android device manufacturers are very good at putting in tons of RAM, high performance CPUs and other headline grabbing numbers that look good on comparison sites. However they're often terrible at providing adequate bus speeds for transferring data around, or managing thermals and keeping the CPU from being throttled, and that's before you get to the amount of CPU cycles that get hogged by background processing from the OS and other apps. When you build something out of the box and don't spend time painstakingly optimising you'll typically find better performance on a couple of years old iPhone than a top of the range current Android flagship. A lot of developers do still prefer Android though because it's so easy to throw any old rubbish up on Google Play, compared to all of Apple's quality control hoops you have to jump through. And as an end user, if you want something you can tinker with rather than something that just works, then an Android device is more interesting from that point of view too.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. The prices are not the same, there's a significant difference between the two.

There's also a significant difference between 12 and 4gb ram. Apple have the A13 in its arsenal. That's good for them but the other suppliers will catch up soon enough and for less money.

In regards apps and otb I didn't notice any of the iPods I owned being any more stable than a generic mp4 and the web is littered with stories of issues with apple iOS. Just my experience.

I accept your argument about throwing together phones with on paper spec that doesn't benchmark well but you need to also accept that until the A13 came out, they was nothing in the iPhones that set it apart. Sometimes it scored better, sometimes it didn't but it always cost more.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like android and alexa

fite me

I will decline your invitation, I have already had a verbal war with Alexa today and that was enough

I've been using iphones for well over 10 years now and not once in all that time, have i ever thought to myself..

"I wish this phone was less restricted" :confused:

I've had android phones in the past for work and hated them. IOS just works and i'll gladly pay a premium for it. Price or value for money aren't my primary considerations. If they were i'd probably suffer a Samsung.

That's fine but it doesn't change the fact that they are more restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Can there be a thread for people to discuss why in their personal preference they prefer apple or samsung or android or whatever? It's hijacked this thread and its quite boring. Its a metal box you communicate with people with. Who cares which one you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not a “brand“, but I just cannot take a man wearing those denim jean shorts seriously.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If you wear joop you're trying to finger 15 year old girls, whether you're 15 or 50......

No Joop No Hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not a “brand“, but I just cannot take a man wearing those denim jean shorts seriously.

Jorts? Absolutely horrific things.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Jorts? Absolutely horrific things.

No, you're think of sheans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Arghus wrote: »
    I hear conflicting things about this. One one hand people I know who work with anything at all involving graphic design or audio/visual shooting and editing seem to prefer Apple products.

But anyone I know who works with development or programming seems to hate Apple products.

So are Apple products "superior" - and, if so, why?

I ditched Windows some years back for private use. In work we're a full on Microsoft shop so I know where it's at.

Windows has gotten a lot better over the years. It actually looks a lot more modern now than macOS. And it has a half decent security concept and its a lot more stable these days. I like working with it enough. Its grand. Has tons of software which is an advantage.

But with macOS there is just no drama at all. No driver this and that where you need such and such a version or it crashes or whatnot.
    Also with macOS you don't immediately have to assume that such and such a program is just a vehicle for any number of adware, malware, spyware or worse.
    As a professional IT guy I like that macOS has a proper UNIX subsystem and had one for ages. I also like Linux a lot and use it for certain tasks but its not for everyone. Not for my ma anyway.

Both Windows and macOS are grand for Joe Soap but I prefer the no frills macOS. Never had a virus on macOS. Things just work.

Hardware is more expensive but also holds its value much better. A Windows PC that you bought for 1k 3 years ago is just for the recycling centre today. A MacBook you bought for 1.5k 5 years ago will still sell for 800 or more.

Advertisement