Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVP Minecraft Server

• 07-02-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

Following on from Tallon's Minecraft Server i am going to set up a new server for PVP. its still only in developement but everything starts from the ground up.

a stadium or arena will be built and chest filled with armour and weapons. the only thing being built on this server will be the stadium and after that only the admins will be allowed to place or destroy blocks.

any ideas for arena/stadium design post below. (more than likely it will be layed out in muck and then relayed in bedrock so noone can get out of the arena.)

any ideas for PVP games or rules post below.

All feedback welcome.

if enough people get behind this idea this might actually get off the ground :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

We need to get a woman as a ref

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

A digable floor so people can create hides and tunnels for team games. Maybe 20 blocks deep to bedrock.

Edit: If the games goes on too long, start pouring lava in from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i was talkingto cherry on server, i got this idea:

1.Make a brand new server.
    2. By all players make a bigger Town, with some space for all to make a safe house.
    3. Make that town a safe zone, no pvp in it.
    4. All willderness is a pvp zone.
    5. No spawning of tools, blocks or weapons. What you earn that you got.
    6. As we got all pvp around us, we can make some dual arena in safe zone, where we can put on waggers. like 5 diamond stones against your 5 diamond stones. who wins, takes it.
    7. in safe zone we can trade materials etc.
    8. We can make everyone a safe zone in willdernes too later on, where we can biuld anather projects, or anather town. safe zone or special staduims and games.

9. NO SPAWNING OF ITEMS!

10. We can enable monsters to, would be fun aswell, kill them for loot, as we allready going full pvp.

Now what suggested above is actually very boring pvp ( no offence), and if we only want that, we dont need a second server, just enable pvp on tallons server, where we can biuld arenas and smack each ather for a few minutes withouth a point, then move on to our projects... which will get old and fast. 2 servers will be silly for that. as it will just divide people, who want to biuld some arenas and the athers who want to biuld random stuff.

Its a sandbox game, lets make our own game in game!

briliant example are servers like buxville.net, they got theyr own currency in game, rules, even 3 castes, politiotions, traders and architects. that server gets 200+ people online, there are ques to get it!!

lets make something special ourselfs!

I am not enabling PVP on the Main server!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i was talkingto cherry on server, i got this idea:

1.Make a brand new server.
    2. By all players make a bigger Town, with some space for all to make a safe house.
    3. Make that town a safe zone, no pvp in it.
    4. All willderness is a pvp zone.
    5. No spawning of tools, blocks or weapons. What you earn that you got.
    6. As we got all pvp around us, we can make some dual arena in safe zone, where we can put on waggers. like 5 diamond stones against your 5 diamond stones. who wins, takes it.
    7. in safe zone we can trade materials etc.
    8. We can make everyone a safe zone in willdernes too later on, where we can biuld anather projects, or anather town. safe zone or special staduims and games.

9. NO SPAWNING OF ITEMS!

10. We can enable monsters to, would be fun aswell, kill them for loot, as we allready going full pvp.

Now what suggested above is actually very boring pvp ( no offence), and if we only want that, we dont need a second server, just enable pvp on tallons server, where we can biuld arenas and smack each ather for a few minutes withouth a point, then move on to our projects... which will get old and fast. 2 servers will be silly for that. as it will just divide people, who want to biuld some arenas and the athers who want to biuld random stuff.

Its a sandbox game, lets make our own game in game!

briliant example are servers like buxville.net, they got theyr own currency in game, rules, even 3 castes, politiotions, traders and architects. that server gets 200+ people online, there are ques to get it!!

lets make something special ourselfs!

i know you have put a lot of though into it so i knew you'd be in here before too long :p

balls to that. i have seen the currecny system in play and i hate it. i'd prefer that if you want it you dig for it instead of paying for it. as the otehr server goes its not too bad and its only for boards users mostly or friends of boards users. this isnt a world wide server by any stretch but it might be what is being worked up to. maybe.

the idea of building a safe house didnt ovvur to me as the computer that the server used to run on created a lot of lag for users so i wanted to keep creation to a minimum and i didnt know that we could run 2 servers off of the cluster so it is plausible.

i think that at the start the PVP will have to be turned off for people to get a chance to build their safe houses (no extravagent affairs or they will be torn down this is PVP not creation!!!!!!!!!!) during this small grace period i reckon the give command can be used so we can start sooner rather than later.

once the PVP is turned on and someone new joins are they allowed a grace period of a day or 2 before anyone is allowed attack them?

will the monsters be turned on?

• Advertisement

also once we have everythign hammered out and all set up we can piece it all together and add a new section to the social group outlining the rules of the PVP.

i know you have put a lot of though into it so i knew you'd be in here before too long :p

balls to that. i have seen the currecny system in play and i hate it. i'd prefer that if you want it you dig for it instead of paying for it. as the otehr server goes its not too bad and its only for boards users mostly or friends of boards users. this isnt a world wide server by any stretch but it might be what is being worked up to. maybe.

the idea of building a safe house didnt ovvur to me as the computer that the server used to run on created a lot of lag for users so i wanted to keep creation to a minimum and i didnt know that we could run 2 servers off of the cluster so it is plausible.

i think that at the start the PVP will have to be turned off for people to get a chance to build their safe houses (no extravagent affairs or they will be torn down this is PVP not creation!!!!!!!!!!) during this small grace period i reckon the give command can be used so we can start sooner rather than later.

once the PVP is turned on and someone new joins are they allowed a grace period of a day or 2 before anyone is allowed attack them?

will the monsters be turned on?

you know my thirst for blood m8 :p

i gave buxville as example, i am not playing on it, even if i got approved there. i dont like how currency system is done, but i like the dieas of making game in game.

our currency can be stuff we dig, for example: hey i got 100 stacks of stone, i dont need it, but i see you need it for your projext, ill trade it for 10 stacks of gold eh? or ill trade my 5 diamonds for your 64 glass?

PVP would be turned off untill we would do a bigish place as a safe zone, where each got a lot of lets say 20x20, we can biuld what ever we want on it. then we can buy anather lot in safe zone for 20 diamonds, which will go to bank. Then we can host games of pvp, which prices could comefrom the bank? then ofcoure waggers with ather players? dont forget in wilderness too, you find someone, you kill him! loot his stuff! so imagine all doing secret mines for themselfs, being coutions :)

i dont know about monsters now, i would love them , it would be pure awesomenes, but i tlakedto few people and they are a bit skeptical on monsters... findthem annoying...

so monsters issue would be better set for voting.

If you beat the shít outta someone outside of the PVP arena then you will be tried in minecraft court and put in a bedrock jail

Tallon wrote: »
    If you beat the shít outta someone outside of the PVP arena then you will be tried in minecraft court and put in a bedrock jail
    you mean on your server, or the one is being planned :confused::confused::confused:

p.s. there are cool faction games too, on some section we can devide people in 2 group for a weak, each group gets a lot, where they biuld a castle, so then we play castle vs castle battle on some weakend where we can destroy each ather biuldings etc...

then i had idea of capture the block game, would be prety much same as CTF.

then ofc gladiator style 1v1 pvp, we could make a maze, and then for people who watch it, are above arena on glass, so they can see whats going on...

as long as pvp goes, i got alot of ideas ! :D i think minecraft is a new ultima online ;)

It was a joke

• Advertisement

you know my thirst for blood m8 :p

i gave buxville as example, i am not playing on it, even if i got approved there. i dont like how currency system is done, but i like the dieas of making game in game.

our currency can be stuff we dig, for example: hey i got 100 stacks of stone, i dont need it, but i see you need it for your projext, ill trade it for 10 stacks of gold eh? or ill trade my 5 diamonds for your 64 glass?

PVP would be turned off untill we would do a bigish place as a safe zone, where each got a lot of lets say 20x20, we can biuld what ever we want on it. then we can buy anather lot in safe zone for 20 diamonds, which will go to bank. Then we can host games of pvp, which prices could comefrom the bank? then ofcoure waggers with ather players? dont forget in wilderness too, you find someone, you kill him! loot his stuff! so imagine all doing secret mines for themselfs, being coutions :)

i dont know about monsters now, i would love them , it would be pure awesomenes, but i tlakedto few people and they are a bit skeptical on monsters... findthem annoying...

so monsters issue would be better set for voting.

i am liking this. 1 suggestion though.

the banker could be a player who noone could touch. then when someone goes to trade some materials then they could be there to make sure the deal goes down correctly. then aswell when someone wants to buy another plot or whatever then the banker could make sure that they have paid before building, and make sure that those diamonds stay safe until an arena fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not sure if it's applicable to the general PvP server idea (I thought of this when it was a twinkling of an idea being pitched), but I had a thought of a kind of labrynth arena. There would be a labrynth made of something that can't be destroyed, that the players run around in trying to kill each other.

Now, I don't know the ins and outs of the red dust circuits, but I had images of various traps laid out, like ones that lock certain passageways, or open sections than have monster spawners. Enough little tricks that would ensure no one user could easily learn everything off and force admins to rebuild the arena.

And the last thought I'd had was that there was no ceiling on the labrynth and spectator areas were built high around it, so you could look down and see the action.

I also kind of pictured a Running Man version, with one player as the unarmed runner and a couple of others hunting them, kitted out in full diamond armour.

D'Oh, ShadowHearth ninja'd my labrynth idea. But the Running Man is patent pending!

i am liking this. 1 suggestion though.

the banker could be a player who noone could touch. then when someone goes to trade some materials then they could be there to make sure the deal goes down correctly. then aswell when someone wants to buy another plot or whatever then the banker could make sure that they have paid before building, and make sure that those diamonds stay safe until an arena fight.
    i think banker would be one of admins, we all can trust admins, We do a bank biulding where these mats are held by admin, no transactions for lots in town can be done withouth a banker/admin. so if you whana buy a lot, get admin on, he gives you privilage and gives you a lot. so we know for sure, person paid for it. now once again, we are mature people so we have to fair and dont touch those mats, no pvp in safe zone. new people that join have to read on rules.

we can do safe zone with plots in mind, mark them. we make streests etc, so basicly we can make it planed, not just randomly, then we can biuld anather city/safe zone where we got more plots. ather save zone near sea and port etc...

btw adminsgot all powers so they can just keep on paper the mats player gave for buying lots etc. so those would be safe and no one could ninja them late at night ;). so admin can be players too , like all of us during too.

well thats my idea, like i said we can do arenas and and ather games in safe zones too. maybe it could be everyones effort. not personal mats etc.

so what you think guys? Lets make a game in game? this way the stuff you biuld will mean moreto you, you will actually be so glad to mine up some gold or diamond, and make safe to your safe house in city to store it up!

we should give it a go lads, it really can be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

instead of bartering diamond for glass etc.. how about iconomy? if its set up right it can be really useful. Players start with x amount og money and can buy and sell items etc off other players...

i think banker would be one of admins, we all can trust admins, We do a bank biulding where these mats are held by admin, no transactions for lots in town can be done withouth a banker/admin. so if you whana buy a lot, get admin on, he gives you privilage and gives you a lot. so we know for sure, person paid for it. now once again, we are mature people so we have to fair and dont touch those mats, no pvp in safe zone. new people that join have to read on rules.

we can do safe zone with plots in mind, mark them. we make streests etc, so basicly we can make it planed, not just randomly, then we can biuld anather city/safe zone where we got more plots. ather save zone near sea and port etc...

btw adminsgot all powers so they can just keep on paper the mats player gave for buying lots etc. so those would be safe and no one could ninja them late at night ;). so admin can be players too , like all of us during too.

well thats my idea, like i said we can do arenas and and ather games in safe zones too. maybe it could be everyones effort. not personal mats etc.

so what you think guys? Lets make a game in game? this way the stuff you biuld will mean moreto you, you will actually be so glad to mine up some gold or diamond, and make safe to your safe house in city to store it up!

we should give it a go lads, it really can be fun

i think your idea of a normal server with safe areas, a possible barter system, and PVP going on in the background is looking like a winner. i will talk it over with cherry and tallon this evening and see what they say.
    Korvanica wrote: »
    instead of bartering diamond for glass etc.. how about iconomy? if its set up right it can be really useful. Players start with x amount og money and can buy and sell items etc off other players...

for me that turns me off a server. i dont know how long it takes to set up and i can imagine the heartache when and if it screws up for people.

IMHO its lame. i dont want to play a sandbox game where i have to buy the materials i need to be able to create anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

ok fair enough... it would just be easier than arguing how many iron equals 1 diamond etc...

fair point. thanks for that.

i never even thought of that. now that mod starts to sound interesting. it will be discussed with the others later on though. so dont lose all hope on it yet.

it its not that we have the mod we will try and sort out a system where for example 9 iron = 1 gold and 9 gold = 1 diamond or something like that.

you also have leet posts :pac:

fair point. thanks for that.

i never even thought of that. now that mod starts to sound interesting. it will be discussed with the others later on though. so dont lose all hope on it yet.

it its not that we have the mod we will try and sort out a system where for example 9 iron = 1 gold and 9 gold = 1 diamond or something like that.

you also have leet posts :pac:

just back home, i sow that mod, and honestly i dont like it. its something that you dont even feel to be honest... but when you got 10 gold and 5 diamond in your chest, then you know you got something physical, if that makes any sence...

well to be honest, i am glad you liked my idea, as when i started playing minecraft i started to see visions of AWESOMNES that players can do themselfs. Its a real sandbox game! i hope we will get to hear soon on your opinion lads ! :)

Ill ask here to, any news on pvp server? Is it still happening :)

I thought of safe city. We can make 2 main streets which cross each ather. Street would he atleast 10 block wide. Then from there we can start doing small sectors of 15x15 which are devided by a small roads of 4 block wide. We can do a few sectors, not too much. And suround it by a stone wall like i got in my keep. 4 exits, an exit of each main streets end.

Now all new players would get 1 sector for free on begging of the server , and ofc all new comers etc. Then ofc some good spot sectors can be a price in arenas etc.

When we will get in to it, we can do our second safe city similar to this, but more fancy, with some rivers and public bridges etc.

God i really hope this server gets aproved :)

we havent talked much about it yet. but i'll try and get the ball rolling tonight.

• Advertisement

right i am going to set it up tonight. i will post the IP in the group or get it posted in the group. it will only be starting so will be a brand new world.

will i leave monsters off or on?

It's only been a day. It takes a lot to setup the server

Just be patient :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

In an arena, make a curtain of lava splitting the ring on two so the opponents cant see each other set up their fortresses, then as the match begins have a ref or two block the lava and let the carnage commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

i'm really liking shadows idea of a safe town surrounded by a wall where everyone gets their own little house to keep their winnings. Then once you leave the safety of the town it's a free for all :) sounds like a lot of fun to me. I'd spend a lot of time outside the town roaming around on my pig of war with a bow and arrows, hunting whoever leaves their safety net :D

i am glad people like my idea! :p

like i said before, we can all start on that server, and no pvp turned on, we all will just power biuld that safe town first, get the sectors sorted out etc. once safe zone is done, bank is done. we can start our pvp thing.

i honestly cant wait for this!

i'll fire this up tonight and post the IP in the social group for tallon's server. the PVP will be turned off until the Safe Zone has been marked out and everyone has some sort of hovel set up to store their materials.
    Rules

1. world has two parts:
    a. Safe zone/safe town
    b. Wilderness

2. Striclty NO PVP in safe zone, all players have to respect that rule no matter what. ( safe zones will be market with red wool around it.)

3. FFA PVP in wilderness, you kill what you want, you steal what you want, you loot what you want. you find it its yours!

4. you can biuld anything in wilderness, but any player can destroy it or loot it.

5. All that is built in safe zone cannot be looted or destroyed.
    safe zone no pvp and biulding rules:
    a) NO PVP IN SAFE ZONE
    b) You can build in safe zone only if you own land in it.
    c) every new player gets 1 free sector ( 15x15 ) in safe zone.you can build in there what ever you want as long as it not goes outside of your sector.
    d) You can buy or win sectors in safe zone too ( 1 sector price - 5 diamonds or 20 gold )
    e) NO UNDERGROUND DIGING IN SAFE ZONE! ( only in your owns sector ). You can dig down as far as you want or as high as you want but you are not allowed go outside the boundary of your set area.

6. NO SPAWNING of any tools, weapons, block allowed except when a new person joins and need to set their safe house up.

7. Trade system in safe zone, you can trade blocks, weapons, tools with other players in safe zone.

8. NO STEALING FROM OTHER PLAYERS HOUSES IN SAFE ZONE! Any Players Caught Stealing will be banned from the server with no chance of getting back on again.

9. All players can decide when and where they want to build new safe town:
    a) a new spot is decided by everyone, if someone one does not agrees on that, we vote.
    b) all players that can, chip in to build new safe area.
    c) No PVP while new place is built. it will be turned off.
    d) people have to buy sectors in new safe zone/town.

10. Monsters will be disabled, but we will have events which will be pure pve.Town invasion etc.

11. In towns or near town there will be biult aditional arenas, dual pits, mazes of death.
    a) all players decide what sort of PVP event/biulding to biuld.
    b) No PVP while this biulding is done. It will be turned off.
    c) All players who can, have to chip in and help with biulding.

12. In arenas there will be pvp events with prize pool. All the diamonds and gold which are collcted for sectors are prize loot in official pvp events. There will be betting or gambling on this if people want it. once enough people request it we will put some thought into it and implement it.

13. players can do wagger matches between themselfs in any arena, pit etc. I.E. player 1 "fight you for your diamond sword" Player 2 "yeah ok" in this case the diamond sword will be put in a chest or given to a referree to hold onto during battle.

14. Be honest in your action, obey rules. It depends on us, players, to make it work. Be mature and it will be alot of fun.

15. Any Matches in the arenas will be watched over by an Admin or other trusted individual.

16. No lava in or near the safe house area. any player caught jepordasing the area will be kicked for an indeterminate amount of days but always under 1 week.

A layout of the the proposed plans for the safe area is here

Anyone with any additional changes or ideas please throw them in here and we will consider them.

Big Thanks to ShadowHearth who drafted up the rules and plans.

just got back home, ty for mentioning of me ;)

the link is broken i think, ill give my one, if thats okay with you m8.

map.jpg

ill be on tonight for that and help to biuld safe zone. i hope o good few of you will join in!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Time to get out my 1337 AutoCAD skillz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

humanji wrote: »
    Not sure if it's applicable to the general PvP server idea (I thought of this when it was a twinkling of an idea being pitched), but I had a thought of a kind of labrynth arena. There would be a labrynth made of something that can't be destroyed, that the players run around in trying to kill each other.

Now, I don't know the ins and outs of the red dust circuits, but I had images of various traps laid out, like ones that lock certain passageways, or open sections than have monster spawners. Enough little tricks that would ensure no one user could easily learn everything off and force admins to rebuild the arena.

And the last thought I'd had was that there was no ceiling on the labrynth and spectator areas were built high around it, so you could look down and see the action.

I also kind of pictured a Running Man version, with one player as the unarmed runner and a couple of others hunting them, kitted out in full diamond armour.

D'Oh, ShadowHearth ninja'd my labrynth idea. But the Running Man is patent pending!

This is by far the best idea.

• Advertisement

anyway, drop a message in here, when server goes live. i want to be on as soon as possible :D

Advertisement