Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

A man and his dogs

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

salonfire wrote: »
    For those that may die alone, surely there is some alarm you can install that will alert someone if you are not moving for a day or two?

I am alone here in a remote and isolated place. Postal deliveries are rare but once way back when I had not brought the post in ( box at the gate) he checked

My real safety feature is that family will call a local person if they do not hear for 48 hours. That worked when a gale knocked my communications out.

Needful precaution when in an isolated place. Read one way back re a couple in a farmhouse in Ireland that had caught fire and killed them and no one found them for 2 weeks. Very possible if at night. I often get no post etc for weeks

But my cats are very welcome to dine off me..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Layne Staley the lead singer of Alice in Chains died alone in his apartment.

He lay on his couch for close to two weeks before his mother came looking for him. His beloved pet cat Sadie was there with him. His autopsy showed advanced decomposition but no evidence of the cat eating him.

She was curled up in a ball in the kitchen close to death when he was found.

She made a full recovery and AIC guitarist Jerry Cantrell adopted her after her release from the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

She was curled up in a ball in the kitchen close to death when he was found.

Stupid cat.
    I'd like to think my cats would have a bit more cop on but there's not very bright, really.

Stupid cat.
    I'd like to think my cats would have a bit more cop on but there's not very bright, really.

no; cats are brighter than dogs but sometimes more devoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    no; cats are brighter than dogs but sometimes more devoted.

You haven't met my cats.
    Very cute, very affectionate but rather dim.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You haven't met my cats.
    Very cute, very affectionate but rather dim.
    They speak so highly of you !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭salonfire

I am alone here in a remote and isolated place. Postal deliveries are rare but once way back when I had not brought the post in ( box at the gate) he checked

My real safety feature is that family will call a local person if they do not hear for 48 hours. That worked when a gale knocked my communications out.

Needful precaution when in an isolated place. Read one way back re a couple in a farmhouse in Ireland that had caught fire and killed them and no one found them for 2 weeks. Very possible if at night. I often get no post etc for weeks

But my cats are very welcome to dine off me..

I am sure I heard of someone wearing some kind of bracelet that senses movement. If nothing is sensed for a full day (maybe after 12 hours or something), it sends out an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

You always hear that if you died, your dog would sit by your body mourning and your cat would eat you.

A few years ago my aunt had a stroke. She lives on her own and it happened her just as she was going to bed one night. She was drifting in and out of consciousness all night.

Her idiot of a dog (he really is) ran down the stairs when it happened and left her there.
    Her cat cuddled into her all night, kept meowing at her and tapping her with his paw.

When it started to get bright the cat sat up on the windowsill and kept meowing and wailing until he got the attention of a neighbour passing the house. She knew straightway that something was wrong and went and got her husband who broke down the door and they called an ambulance.

The stupid dog remained in the kitchen whinging for his breakfast.

It took my aunt a good while to come back to normal, but luckily she made a pretty good recovery in the end. No thanks to the dog!

You always hear that if you died, your dog would sit by your body mourning and your cat would eat you.

A few years ago my aunt had a stroke. She lives on her own and it happened her just as she was going to bed one night. She was drifting in and out of consciousness all night.

Her idiot of a dog (he really is) ran down the stairs when it happened and left her there.
    Her cat cuddled into her all night, kept meowing at her and tapping her with his paw.

When it started to get bright the cat sat up on the windowsill and kept meowing and wailing until he got the attention of a neighbour passing the house. She knew straightway that something was wrong and went and got her husband who broke down the door and they called an ambulance.

It took my aunt a good while to come back to normal, but luckily she made a pretty good recovery in the end. No thanks to the dog!

Reminds of when I fell in the woodshed and smashed my wrist> i was finding it very hard t o get up and th e two dogs I had then just stood and stared.. I yelled at them, " You are supposed to get help and help me up or at least comfort me"

Not a flicker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Rosalyn Stale Nachos

I had a dog that saved my life about thirty years ago. I sank into a bog hole up to near my shoulders. The dog came to the edge of the soft area and lay down stretching her neck and head in to me. I got hold of her collar and with her help, pulling backwards, got to safety. I had tried getting her to go home, which was near by, so family would wonder why she was back without me and come looking but she just insisted on reaching in to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Reminds of when I fell in the woodshed and smashed my wrist> i was finding it very hard t o get up and th e two dogs I had then just stood and stared.. I yelled at them, " You are supposed to get help and help me up or at least comfort me"

Not a flicker..
    They were trying to hide how much they were looking forward to eating you ;)

At least they didn’t get the napkins and cutlery out !

Advertisement