Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish use more fake tan than any other people on planet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Depends on the shade. I've tried various brands and I LOVE "Sally Hansen"...the light and medium glow ones are wicked and they're not streaky, for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

mike65 wrote: »
    Just heard it said on RTE! Per captia of course.

Whats wrong with pale and interesting?

Thats all well and good, but the irish complexion isn't pale and interesting. Its blotchy, pasty and freckly.

Pale and interesting is like Scandinavian beauties

I don't like day glo tan or anything like it, but I put on a bit of instant sally hansen when Im baring legs on a night out because no body should have the sight of pale and dotted skins and red knees inflicted on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Star_Me_Kitten

If fake tan is correctly applied/the right shade is used, then it doesnt look like youre wearing fake tan. So a lot more girls than you think are probably wearing it!

I used to jump on the 'ew, fake tan is gross' bandwagon, but actually realised (with a lil help from a bottle) that its actually really nice when done right. Like everybody, Ive had my disasters, but now i know that St Tropez Everyday moisturiser in light works perfectly for me, and youd never know it was fake. In fact, when I take a break from it, people ask me am I sick because I look so pale. Sally Hansen is also brilliant.

Although, I can admit that there are some people who go absolutely overboard and nothing looks more ridiculous. I live with one of them! But many of my friends look infinitely more healthy and attractive with a lil bit of it, and Id say Im the same.

Another point is, dont wear three layers in the depths of Irish winter-it looks stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Whatever about it being badly applied (don't think I've ever seen it well applied tbh...), I just can't see why everyone is so ashamed of their natural complexion. I'm really proud of my porcelain skin (in fact I see it as part of my heritage) and get compliments on what beautiful skin I have whenever I'm abroad. Pale skin is fantastic imo. I wish other people would embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Kooli wrote: »
    Whenever there's a discussion about fake tan, it always comes down to girls saying that 'other girls' don't know how to put it on properly, but 'I do'. (I've been guilty of this myself in the past!).

So surely we can't ALL be the minority who wear it well?!

I think we've become so used to it being everywhere that we think it actually looks normal, when it really, really doesn't. It doesn't look anything like real tan. Yes, it covers paleness if that's an issue of insecurity. Less, it probably evens out blotchiness. But I think anyone who thinks it doesn't look like they're wearing fake tan is kidding themselves.

I always have a giggle when this topic comes up and some posters say 'but I know how to wear it well', then they proceed to post their picture where they look as Oompa Loompa-ish (or moreso!) than anyone else. Likewise people who think it doesn't look like they're wearing much make-up when they have it trowelled on. They can do that if they want to but why pretend it's natural?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I don't use fake tan.
    I hate the smell, I hate the way it destroys your clothes, I hate the idea of smothering my skin in this ... gunk that normally takes ages to dry in!

Some people look nice with a bit of tan on, if it's a natural shade and they have their make-up done well.
    However, more often than not, it looks incredibly fake, it's the wrong shade, it's patchy or it's just not nice looking.

I think Irish women tend to be quite insecure about being pale. And who wouldn't be, considering most magazines and media feature women who are more often than not, bronzed goddesses - or photoshopped to look like one!

I also think there's a feeling that men prefer women who are slightly bronzed or tanned looking. Perhaps women feel that they have to be brown to be attractive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I don't use fake tan.
    I hate the smell, I hate the way it destroys your clothes, I hate the idea of smothering my skin in this ... gunk that normally takes ages to dry in!

Some people look nice with a bit of tan on, if it's a natural shade and they have their make-up done well.
    However, more often than not, it looks incredibly fake, it's the wrong shade, it's patchy or it's just not nice looking.

I think Irish women tend to be quite insecure about being pale. And who wouldn't be, considering most magazines and media feature women who are more often than not, bronzed goddesses - or photoshopped to look like one!

I also think there's a feeling that men prefer women who are slightly bronzed or tanned looking. Perhaps women feel that they have to be brown to be attractive?

Applying fake tan properly and evenly looks nice on girls.Sadly,more often than not, thats not the case.However, pale skinned girls can look hella-good as well.Girls,If you are going to go down the fake tan route,just do it properly please:D!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I hate being incredibly pale but I don't use fake tan, if I'm going somewhere I might use a bit of a self tanner which just makes you that bit less white which is kind of what I need otherwise I'd be told I look like a milk bottle....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think fake tan is stupid, most girls I see wearing it look like they've got stains on their face because they never do it right, not to mention looking orange.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I think fake tan is stupid, most girls I see wearing it look like they've got stains on their face because they never do it right, not to mention looking orange.
    Fake tan on your face is a no go area! :eek:
    It's impossible for it to look the slightest bit right, slight darker foundation would look more even...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

M&S* wrote: »
    I hate being incredibly pale but I don't use fake tan, if I'm going somewhere I might use a bit of a self tanner which just makes you that bit less white which is kind of what I need otherwise I'd be told I look like a milk bottle....

Eh, what's the difference between fake tan and self-tanner, do you think?!

Malari wrote: »
    Eh, what's the difference between fake tan and self-tanner, do you think?!
    Yeah I realised what I said was kind of.. Well wrong. What I meant to say was the Dove lotions with a teeny bit of self tanner in it... I just meant in the sence that it's not going to turn me into a giant biscuit smelling orange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Liam Jolly Serf

Yeah it definitely makes me feel better, my skin can be quite blotchy so I just feel more confident with some on. I use the sally tan aswell and I think it's one of the nicest and most natural too and it washes off the next day.But I completely agree that some girls do look like theyve been tangoed alright!! Thankfully my friends and my other half would be the first to tell me if I looked like that :)!!
    No matter what you say, its all false. I dont stuff socks down my underwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

You should try it. It does wonders for your self-confidence. Remember though; only stuff them down the front, not the back.

Kind of like saying girls shouldn't wear making because it's false...

That's what I don't get why don't people make such a big deal out of make up aswell?

M&S* wrote: »
    Kind of like saying girls shouldn't wear making because it's false...

That's what I don't get why don't people make such a big deal out of make up aswell?
    Not that I agree with girls plastering their faces with ****e, but I couldnt be arsed ranting about it anymore. Wearing more than a minimal amount of make-up says a lot about a person. Call me judgemental, but I cant take anyone serious who is plastered in either fake tan or make-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

But you agree in a minimal amount of makeup? So whats wrong with a minimal amount of tan i.e the tanning moisturisers that just add a hint?

But you agree in a minimal amount of makeup? So whats wrong with a minimal amount of tan i.e the tanning moisturisers that just add a hint?
    Some people just have bad skin, blotchy etc... so one can understand its necessity in some cases, but by and large, (I feel) most girls dont need it, at all. Im not a staunch enemy of make up, but can someone please explain to me why women put on enough make up to the point where its recognisable?

Fake tan is different though, its pale western europeans trying desperately to pass as mediterraneans - simply laughable! Have you ever heard an Irish lad say 'jeez she's too pale'? I haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

i love fake tan!!! :) i think its great!!!!! i look like a dead person when i dont wear it and also my skin is quite blotchy so if i get my legs out it just looks really unattractive!
    i also dont tan in the sun at all, i just burn so faking it is the nearest i'll ever get.
    though i have never ever ruined any of my clothes from fake tan, i dont know what some of you girls are doing!!??!

You know that alot more girls that you actually realise wear fake tan?
    You only notice girls looking "fake" when it's the wrong, shade/brand/amount for them. I know people who wear it all the time, and they look very natural and healthy. Then I see people who wear a cheap brand and you can smell them before you see the orange glow. It genuinely can be very very natural.

Personally, I never go "out" without it. I feel better with it and I probably always will. But then, I can look at pictures of myself and I know that I don't look tangod at all. Maybe other boardsies will disagree :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

This might be controversial, but I'd like to see pics from people tbh. And before anyone asks, I'd be willing to post pics up of my own ghostly whiteness too, I ain't called Livingdeadgirl for nothin'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Yes it is false, as I've already said in my posts!! I don't expect people to believe it's a natural tan, especially when I'm white as a ghost the next day after washing it off!! My point is it makes me feel better about myself and how I feel about myself is more important to me than what strangers think about me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

hanner wrote: »
    i love fake tan!!! :) i think its great!!!!! i look like a dead person when i dont wear it and also my skin is quite blotchy so if i get my legs out it just looks really unattractive!
    i also dont tan in the sun at all, i just burn so faking it is the nearest i'll ever get.
    though i have never ever ruined any of my clothes from fake tan, i dont know what some of you girls are doing!!??!

+1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Speaking on behalf of Mediterraneans* I consider fake tan as offensive as blacking up.

*They all specifically asked me to post on their behalf

You're right. It is false, that's why it's called false/fake tan.

Do you wear aftershave? Put gel in your hair? they're "false" too but make men feel better about themselves.

Women do more of these things than men do generally. They wear make up - it's false but the majority of women in this country wear it at least sometimes. They die their hair, be it to change the colour or to cover grey. Also false. They wear push up bras. False. They wear flesh colour tights to make their legs look better. False. Teeth whitening. False. The list goes on.

With all of the above are going to be people who do it wrong; wear too much make up, put too much peroxide in their hair. Wear the wrong colour tights. And so on, and you will notice those people. But the person who wears the right amount of foundation, the right hair colour, the colour tights the same as the rest of their body. they'll not be noticed. They will just look normal. All of these rules also apply to tan.

Pale skin really suits alot of people and I see why they choose not to wear tan. But to the ones who say that girls who wear fake tan are "fake" (it has been said on boards before). I shall assume you never wear make up, colour your hair, paint your nails, wear spanx :pac:!!! Because it is totally hypocrital to say one is fine but the other is not.

I had posted up pics as per livingdeadgirl's request but I was drunk and chickened out the next morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I used to wear fake tan a lot but it did look awful:D Much prefer my natural paleness now and it saves so much effort, all that effort to try get it on even, leaving stains all over the sheets, how it wears off your hands quicker cause you wash your hands a lot, the scaly patches, everything!! Look at girls who are luminous with it now and have to smile:)

Im all for making yourself look the best you can but I think tan really can make people look odd! Some people of course get it good but pale skin is nice, we need to embrace it, we're a nation of pale yokes we need to be proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

http://www.paleisthenewtan.com/ :D

I should probably admit that I wear fake tan too, not ashamed of it. As someone else mentioned people tend to think I look sick when I have none on. Plus I've got dark hair and apparently a tan suits me although I'd never get one naturally. I don't go overboard like the pics in the link though, they must apply it like a gizillion times!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

*Angel* wrote: »
    http://www.paleisthenewtan.com/ :D

I should probably admit that I wear fake tan too, not ashamed of it. As someone else mentioned people tend to think I look sick when I have none on. Plus I've got dark hair and apparently a tan suits me although I'd never get one naturally. I don't go overboard like the pics in the link though, they must apply it like a gizillion times!!!!

That site has made me happy, thank you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sazs

I got a spray tan last year and my husband told me I looked like I had leprosy. ... ha ha. A bit of expensive tanning cream on legs at the start of summer works a treat but definitely nowhere near my face! Pale and proud ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement