Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to accept credit instead of refund?

• 23-03-2020 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Back in January I booked to stay in a hotel in the coming weeks through escapes.ie I contacted the hotel today which is currently closed, and they told me they'd cancelled my booking and I'd get a full refund from escapes.ie I've just had an email from them though saying that they don't issue refunds on vouchers purchased more than 14 days ago. As a good will gesture they're offering me the value as credit on there site. It cost over 300 euro and I'd rather just have the money back.Do I have to accept the credit? I know its not there fault but it was for a gift for mother's day and I still had to go order flowers online yesterday for that instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

bren2002 wrote: »
    No you didn't by have to accept a credit, you can insist on a refund.

Any law to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Whiplashy wrote: »
    that they don't issue refunds on vouchers purchased more than 14 days ago. As a good will gesture they're offering me the value as credit on there site.

Just to be pedantic, did you buy a voucher and then use that voucher to pay for the room, or just book a room.

Just to be pedantic, did you buy a voucher and then use that voucher to pay for the room, or just book a room.

I used the voucher to book a room. I don't know if it's been technically paid for yet. Hardly if escapes.ie are offering me credit on there site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

They seem to be trying to use cooling off in the wrong context.
    14 day cooling off is for a change of mind, not for a business that can't supply the service requested (hotel accommodation in this instance).

Not sure if this applies...
    4. Redemption Refusal

(a) If, upon presentation of the Voucher the Seller refuses to supply some or all of the Voucher Products in accordance with the terms of the Deal, you may request a refund.

Depends whether 'closure' is treated as refusal or not. If you can't use the voucher within the time specified then that could be interpreted as 'refusal'.

https://www.escapes.ie/terms-conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ten Pin wrote: »

Depends whether 'closure' is treated as refusal or not. If you can't use the voucher within the time specified then that could be interpreted as 'refusal'.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think there is requirement for a vendor to exchange a voucher for cash. If the op used a voucher to pay, I think the refund can be given back as a voucher.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    They seem to be trying to use cooling off in the wrong context.

Thank you ill give that a try though I'm not holding out much hope. Just had an email basically saying take it or leave it

Thank you ill give that a try though I'm not holding out much hope. Just had an email basically saying take it or leave it

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/gift-vouchers/

Yip, refunds can be cash, electronic transfer or voucher, vendors choice.

Dav010 wrote: »
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/gift-vouchers/

Yip, refunds can be cash, electronic transfer or voucher, vendors choice.

Thank you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's a little unclear but if you bought the voucher and cannot use it through no fault on your part then it seems reasonable to expect a refund if you paid for the voucher yourself.

If you received the voucher from someone else then that's probably a different situation.

The specific terms of the voucher would give a more definitive answer eg destination specifics, time limits etc. The sale of goods and supply of services act is probably what you can quote, if they can't supply the service then the seller is liable for a refund. Credit would really only be acceptable if you changed your mind after the cooling off period (14 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You do not have to spend the full value of the voucher in one transaction.
    If there is a balance of more than €1 on a gift voucher, the business should refund you the difference in one of the following ways:

– Cash

– Electronic transfer (debit/credit card)

– Another gift voucher (the expiry date will be the same as the original voucher)

It is up to the business which method of refund they use.

Might have you there, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you booked in January I think you're still within the timeframe where you can do a chargeback via your card provider.

If that is the case, I'd give escapes.ie the option of a full refund or a chargeback.

Graham wrote: »
    If you booked in January I think you're still within the timeframe where you can do a chargeback via your card provider.

If that is the case, I'd give escapes.ie the option of a full refund or a chargeback.

Why would you get a chargeback if you bought a voucher? The op will still have the voucher they bought after the booking cancellation, the purchasing of the voucher itself was neither fraudulent or disputed, the op can still use it, just not when they wanted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why would you get a chargeback if you bought a voucher? The op will still have the voucher they bought after the booking cancellation, the purchasing of the voucher itself was neither fraudulent or disputed, the op can still use it, just not when they wanted.

Normally I wouldn't but in this instance I'd do it based on the redemption refusal section of the suppliers own Ts & Cs.

I don't see how cancellation and offer of refund by the hotel is anything other than redemption refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

If I'm not mistaken, in order to use your >€300 credit, you may have to purchase a voucher/vouchers in excess of your credit in one go. Groupon gave me a credit and I can chip away at that over several purchases until fully used up.

I'd get stuck into Escapes/Pigsback before accepting such a high credit.

Any luck with a refund, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I used the voucher to book a room. I don't know if it's been technically paid for yet. Hardly if escapes.ie are offering me credit on there site

does/Did the voucher have an expiry date, it might have if you bought before the rules changed.

OnYerPike wrote: »
    Any luck with a refund, OP?

Still trying. Thankfully I have lots of spare time on my hands :D

I got credit from them but have to use it in one go - could be for the purchase of one voucher or several vouchers but must be purchased simultaneously as it's a single code credit. It's only for a little over €100 and I'll get 2 or 3 vouchers and hold onto them, so not too big a deal. I've up to 12 months to use the credit instead of the usual 3 months.

You'll be hard pressed to find a voucher in excess of €300 that appeals to you at the moment. Equally, it'll be hard to find multiple deals to suit you at the same time.

Stand your ground and hold out for the refund. A single use credit of over €300 is of no use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It’s my understanding that all vouchers must be for at least 5 years if they are issued after December last.

Advertisement