Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 236 ✭✭evolveDD

amazon... **** me, it was a nightmare. Bought a noblechair worth 730 euros, came damaged. Rang them about 25 times asking for them to return a phone call, as it's expensive, 2 out of the 25 people were able to help. What a nightmare! Absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Good
    Ordered office furniture from IKEA last week to enable me to work from home. 8 day delivery time, which was understandable given presumably tons of other people were doing the same.
    Got a delivery date of this afternoon, got a text and email last night confirming the time slot. Then got a text today cancelling the delivery at two hours notice, saying that "as a responsible business" they're stopping all 2 person deliveries "whilst we explore other options" and my delivery is cancelled.
    No further information, no point of contact, just "await a further text message". When I log in the website still shows my delivery as due today. Sent a polite customer service email and didn't even get an automated receipt.

I can fully understand that having two people driving around in a truck all day is the last thing anyone wants to do right now. But this didn't happen overnight, we're two weeks into this. The time to start "exploring other options" was the start of last week. That was also the time to start warning customers that you might not be able to deliver certain items. Waiting until your drivers have understandably had enough and leaving customers hanging at the last minute is far from being a "responsible business". As far as I can see they're still taking orders for the same items despite having no means of delivering them.

I'm now left having to continue working from the office until I can find an alternative supplier, and probably another week lead time for delivery. And I presume I'm not the only one. Thanks IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

changed bank account in oct.
    They just wont or cant change the DD details on the account. Every month since I must ring up to process it over the phone and demand the removal of the 4euro additional non-DD charge.

I should have moved but each month i'm assured it's all set-up now.

This month was the last straw. Covid19 has probably gotten them an extra month or so.

Good
    After IKEA left me hanging last week, ordered an office chair from Viking Direct at lunchtime Thursday. Their website said they couldn't guarantee next day delivery at the moment so wasn't expecting to have it until Monday or Tuesday, but it arrived 6 pm Friday.

Similarly, ordered a desk off Aline Office Furniture about 4pm Sunday.
    Was looking up their contact details at midday Monday to call them for an idea of roughly how long delivery might take, when they rang to say they were outside.
    Hard to beat 3 working hours from order to delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Ordered a hair clippers from Carethy back in April. Order was to take 2 weeks to deliver, couple of days out and had no update on the delivery. Found the item cheaper on another website, so contacted Carethy to cancel my order, which they confirmed.

5 weeks later and no sign of my refund from Carethy. Contacted their customer service multiple times without a response.

Eventually had to raise a dispute with PayPal, who contacted me today to say my refund would be processed.

Avoid like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

DPD Couriers. Crossed out the Eircode on my address (black felt pen) then sent to wrong area, redirected, then driver delivered to neighbor and refused to drive 200 m up the road to deliver to the correct address and complained to neighbor that there was no Eircode. Drove off and actually drove past my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaddyGannon

GinSoaked wrote: »
    DPD Couriers. Crossed out the Eircode on my address (black felt pen) then sent to wrong area, redirected, then driver delivered to neighbor and refused to drive 200 m up the road to deliver to the correct address and complained to neighbor that there was no Eircode. Drove off and actually drove past my house.

I find the whole DPD and Eircode thing so funny and it goes to show the very bad service they give when with a little work, they could improve their service and name.
    I was getting a item delivered and in fairness the sender made a little (very little) mistake in my address but had the eircode right. DPD had my phone number as they text me to tell me it was arrieving but didn't contact me when the address number was wrong. They sent it back to the sender and when I phoned them they told me the address was wrong, I asked about and she told me, "we don't use Eircode, they don't work" Well I deliver for a living and use them the whole time and find the Eircode system great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I find the whole DPD and Eircode thing so funny and it goes to show the very bad service they give when with a little work, they could improve their service and name.
    I was getting a item delivered and in fairness the sender made a little (very little) mistake in my address but had the eircode right. DPD had my phone number as they text me to tell me it was arrieving but didn't contact me when the address number was wrong. They sent it back to the sender and when I phoned them they told me the address was wrong, I asked about and she told me, "we don't use Eircode, they don't work" Well I deliver for a living and use them the whole time and find the Eircode system great.

I had a delivery by DPD recently.......Nandos free sample. When I ordered it I included my eircode and phone number.
    My father got a call on landline from DPD looking for me. They had scoured the phonebook trying to locate me and our eircode and tried random numbers.

Couple of days later the package arrived with the eircode written in big letters so fair play to them for actually going above the normal.

.......However, the parcel looked like it had been used as a football, DPD being DPD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Got a text from DPD to say they tried to deliver my parcel but no answer. I was working at my kitchen table, no way anyone can get to my front door without me seeing them. I went outside and the van was down the road driving towards me (about to leave my estate). I flagged him down, asked did he have a parcel, showed him the text, he rolled his eyes and went looking in the back of the van for parcel and gave it to me. He didn't explain or anything, just went on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thelastpogue

Alpharooms........Twice I have asked them to cancel a hotel we had booked for July as flights have been cancelled. Twice they have basically refused to cancel for me. Both times emailing back saying "Watch out for government advise/ you might still get to travel" They are due to take balance of payments next week for something I can't go on, but are refusing to cancel! Time to just block them from my credit card!! Not paying a ton of cash for something I cant go on. Deposits a gonner but at least its only 15%!!

• Advertisement

Good
    Alpharooms........Twice I have asked them to cancel a hotel we had booked for July as flights have been cancelled. Twice they have basically refused to cancel for me. Both times emailing back saying "Watch out for government advise/ you might still get to travel" They are due to take balance of payments next week for something I can't go on, but are refusing to cancel! Time to just block them from my credit card!! Not paying a ton of cash for something I cant go on. Deposits a gonner but at least its only 15%!!

Small Claims Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I bought a wardrobe from Ikea back in January. Can't fault delivery etc and all on time on a Sunday afternoon. First time ever buying from them (this is in England BTW)

The wardrobe itself was a complete pile of crap. Basically £400.00 for chipboard. Knowing the type of people that shop there I should have known the quality would be crap.

I rang them up first thing Monday morning and told them the wardrobe was a complete pile of crap.

The collected it back a few days later and full refund. No questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Not the worst but from a few months ago:

Bought a pack of those Tayto ‘Muchos’, opened them and more than half were broken up. (I weighted them after extracting the full ones).

Rang to complain, left a voice mail, they rang back, provided my address so they could send me a SAE to get the pack back to them.

Never heard from them again and didn’t receive the SAE.

Won’t be buying Tayto / King / Hunky Dory etc again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Went ‘directly’ to a sports shop earlier to try on and hopefully purchase some new trainers for the gym. Saw a pair, asked the staff member for a 10, they came back with the runners, I tried em, they weren’t very comfy, I wasn’t sure if it was because they were just fitting too tight, or what but was asking for an 11 and to try another pair I saw and liked but she’d disappeared to the far side of the shop stacking shelves then just disappeared. There was one other staff member stocking shelves before disappearing altogether too, the person on the till is ringing up sales, helping other customers and seemingly the only person on the shop floor, it’s a sizable shop... after waiting a while more, 10-15 minutes (it’s now 25 minutes in the shop and not busy) neither staff member seemed bothered or visible for that matter..... so I’m exiting, directly, from said sports shop...

Down trade because of covid, you’d just presume there might be sufficient interest in being pleasant, professional and courteous and helpful. But, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say, I'd generally never moan about Customer Care, but two companies in particular have really pissed me off recently.

Eir - Part of the deal I receive is that I should be getting Amazon Prime 'free' on my account. On my bill it has Amazon Prime €6 and then a -€6 which is expected.

Under extra charges then it has another Amazon Prime for €6 included which does clearly look to be incorrectly added on my total bill.

Rang CS twice last week and got cut-off both times around the 30 minute mark.

Tried again today and got fooking cut-off at the 60 minute mark. 60 fooking minutes waiting and I got cut-off.

-- -- --

The Hub Bike Shop, Limerick - Got an invoice for a Bike (chose bike) through the B2W scheme the last week of May. Work made the payment and I sent The Hub a follow-up on 9th June asking if they received it (they did). They replied asking me to text them the next day.

Me: 'I could drop in tomorrow morning at some stage if there might be stock available?'
    Them: 'Please do, X'

I go in the next day and there's no fooking stock there still - but they want to go over what I definitely wanted to get??? Thick
    Sort all that anyway...

6th July - I Facebook messaged them looking for an update on the stock. Email not answers, phone not answered.
    8th July - Messaged them again chasing and they message me saying they'll get back to me the next day; they did not.
    10th July - I ask them for an update and they tell me I'll be waiting till mid-August for the bike I want but I can take an alternative bike that will be available in the next 10 days. Harp on about the global shortage of bikes. I reply the same night accepting that bike.
    15th July (the first time they reached out to me properly) - Rang and apologised for the lack of comms (which I made a point about) and said the different bike will be available tomorrow and would ring me the same evening confirming that etc.
    16th July - I messaged them asking if I'd be getting any further comms on the bike or if I should just pop in to the shop - No response
    23rd July - I message again chasing for an update - No response.

I mean...I've been too nice here, right? They've been sitting on €800 since the 9th June. Communication has been absolutely pathetic. I've really wanted to just ask for my money back but the effort of it since it's B2W...

Comms useless. No genuine apology other than 'to re-iterate, we're sorry, but there's a bike shortage'. It's the lack of follow-ups I've been pissed off about.

Please, please don't go giving these lads your money.

They're cyclists, yes. Businessmen, not even remotely close.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BEWARE

Wish I had have found this thread earlier.

Bought something off them August 23rd, took the money 24th

Told me delivery would be September 3rd

Emailed them yesterday asked for tracking number

Received email back today to say it was out of stock and it would be shipped October 30th with delivery for Nov 2nd

Their sister site appliancesdirect has it "in stock for delivery Sept 8th", it's a swizz imo.

Told them give me a refund now, I'll be onto my credit card company by tomorrow if they haven't refunded.

Absolute chancers - will never touch them again. And when you try call them they have a phoneline that charges you BY THE MINUTE

AVOID

Some way of doing business. woeful.

Good
    vicwatson wrote: »
    BEWARE

Wish I had have found this thread earlier.

Bought something off them August 23rd, took the money 24th

Told me delivery would be September 3rd

Emailed them yesterday asked for tracking number

Received email back today to say it was out of stock and it would be shipped October 30th with delivery for Nov 2nd

Their sister site appliancesdirect has it "in stock for delivery Sept 8th", it's a swizz imo.

Told them give me a refund now, I'll be onto my credit card company by tomorrow if they haven't refunded.

Absolute chancers - will never touch them again. And when you try call them they have a phoneline that charges you BY THE MINUTE

AVOID

Some way of doing business. woeful.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MOH wrote: »
    Who?

Laptops direct .ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would recommend avoiding all outlets of that group based on my own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daqu1234

Click and Go, the worst, now they are fobbing off customers with credit notes for thousands of euros instead of giving cash refunds, families have handed over for example €6000.00 for some family holidays that where canceled (not by the customer) and Click And Go are not giving the cash back. When you try ring them you just get put in an endless queue and if you get to speak to some one after maybe waiting on line for 20 minutes they will be off no help. It is theft, it is stealing peoples money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Allianz direct jumped through some ridiculous hoops to get insured after a hiatus from driving a private car. Was only out by a couple of months but everything they asked for I'd find out it was not sufficient or something else was needed. I understood the reasoning for it to show I wasn't hiding a gap in my driving history. Sent in a long email explaining the timeline of correspondence going almost two weeks. (A reply would take two days to a query and I didn't want to have a verbal conversation trail)
    Rang them on a Friday before the weekend and some legend called Shannon read the entire transcript and admitted there was an absurd collection of forms all of which I had acquired and still somehow hadn't gotten the issue resolved and nearly two weeks on; said ok we're going to just sort this with a declaration over the phone. Couldn't believe it got that simple after sending over employer details wife's details previous details previous car details NCB details forms.

The worst dealing with someone from three Ireland. Rings me after I had cancelled the month before. Calling to collect a payment (I used to get called every month to pay because the portal on my three never saved my card details properly then I refused to trust it seeing as it had issues saving my card details I got the impression the site security was piss poor). Eh but I cancelled with three last month and I was only on a rolling contract sim only. Yes but it's post pay. Eh don't know about that. Ok fine I'll settle it. Paid and he thanked me and said so your next payment will be for the same date the following month. Erm no riswan I cancelled remember, no sir the following month- the rest of it I can't remember but I ended it going no I'm not going to get angry I understand you just talk to people on the phone and have no control over anything but I'm just letting you know that was the last bill to ever be paid and that was as a courtesy as I had cancelled last month when the next bill comes it will be unpaid and will continue to be unpaid and any calls will go unanswered so have a good weekend. There was no point getting my knickers in a twist and it was fun to find the politest professional way to tell them to go f*k off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MOH wrote: »
    Who?

My bad, laptops direct and affiliated companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Daqu1234 wrote: »
    Click and Go, the worst, now they are fobbing off customers with credit notes for thousands of euros instead of giving cash refunds, families have handed over for example €6000.00 for some family holidays that where canceled (not by the customer) and Click And Go are not giving the cash back. When you try ring them you just get put in an endless queue and if you get to speak to some one after maybe waiting on line for 20 minutes they will be off no help. It is theft, it is stealing peoples money.
    Daqu1234 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I waited 3 months for my cancelled cruise refund of over €3K from clickandgo who 3 months ago told me I would recieve my refund within the 3 months and now they are fobbing me off with a credit note which I told them I do not want, they are ringing me tomorrow to discuss but I have very little confidence I will ever see that €3332.00 again.

Is it €6,000 or €3,000.

The hysterics won't get you answers.

Remember, most of the people you are emailing / talking to will be losing their jobs. So some hysterical person on the phone will not get answered.

Politeness, understanding and respect will always elicit the best response - something your posts show you lack in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

silver2020 wrote: »
    Is it €6,000 or €3,000.

The hysterics won't get you answers.

Remember, most of the people you are emailing / talking to will be losing their jobs. So some hysterical person on the phone will not get answered.

Politeness, understanding and respect will always elicit the best response - something your posts show you lack in this instance

Where are the hysterics you mention in either post?

Also, OP says they were waiting for 3k+ but families are waiting for 6k. There's an obvious difference between the two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Great customer service from H&M.

Bought my son a suit online for his communion.Communion cancelled,so you can bring the clothes back to the shop.

Brought it back,receipt was out of date but they still allowed me to exchange the suit for clothes instore.

I thought that was really good of them.So i will be definately be shopping there more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

My recent good CS experiences:
    - City Bins
    - Zurich
    - Amazon
    - Aldi
    - Google
    - Three
    - Ulster Bank (surprisingly)
    - PTSB
    - Barcelo.com (hotel group)

My recent bad/awful CS experience:
    - Eir - non-existent CS
    - Vodafone - beyond awful, very difficult to contact anyone who can make decisions. Screwed up an order several times.
    - Greyhound
    - Aer Lingus - hellish experience getting a refund.

Booked appointment online with resurva system with my local gents barber for today Saturday at 12 set time etc etc.

Went to barber at appointed time.

Hugh queue of boys and parents.

Logged into resurva on my phone.

My booking had been DELETED in my own account.

I deleted my resurva account too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Don’t think it’s possible to have worse customer service than EIR , an hour standard waiting time on phone and then you’ll be cut off by whoever answers .
    Be easier break out of Alcatraz than cancel your landline with them !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Decathlon

Wanted to change my returns from credit to refund, couldn't do it online so got on to the instant chat. The rep did it straight away, no questions asked. While I had him, I told him that I was having difficulty with loading a certain item (it kept timing out), he had IT look then and there, was fixed in a few mins. He added 5 euro credit to my account for the inconvenience.
    Great service I thought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Decathlon

Wanted to change my returns from credit to refund, couldn't do it online so got on to the instant chat. The rep did it straight away, no questions asked. While I had him, I told him that I was having difficulty with loading a certain item (it kept timing out), he had IT look then and there, was fixed in a few mins. He added 5 euro credit to my account for the inconvenience.
    Great service I thought

+1 for Decathlon, found them brilliant to deal with.

Advertisement