Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband €49.99 a month for life

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

tobdom wrote: »
    I hope it works out well for you, but you can possibly expect pathetic speeds at peak usage times, like we had.... Best speed we could ever get (with our service/location) with 3 Mobile BB was up to about 35mbps, but it could drop as low as 2mbps at the high-usage times, evenings etc. when you really want to be using it.....

I'm just in the process of ordering FTTH which has now become available to us and thanks to this thread I have another option to consider (Digiweb - didn't realise they were offering FTTH in our area). Eir aren't under consideration due to all the horror stories about their shambles of a customer service.

Me too. It's for my young lad 22 :). He needs it for work purposes. Rolling contract works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Eir seem to be copying their little brother GoMo trying to stir up broadband customers, offering €49.99 a month for life for Broadband to first 10,000 customers (12 month contract). Personally won't go near them but it might interest some.

Broadband & Landline up to 100Mb
    €49.99
    a month forever!

Totally Unlimited Broadband
    Our fastest WiFi with our new fibre box
    Unlimited Off-Peak local & national calls
    FREE eir sport pack with Virgin Media Sport
    Speeds up to 100Mb

https://www.eir.ie/forlife/bundles/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAno_uBRC1ARIsAB496IWkZNLNcE-vGIbv4qcc8CkBfnneW6J9qyruLmavsmTYOJqOEgRFd2QaAv56EALw_wcB

I would pay Eir €49.99 a month for life to never have to deal with them again - absolute shower is what they are....took years off my life trying to wrangle out of the death grip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Whatever about their mobile offerings, which you can cancel relatively easily, avoid their broadband at all costs. They are constantly in the papers for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/i-am-absolutely-disgusted-frustration-with-eir-customer-service-reaches-crescendo-1.3792723

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Whatever about their mobile offerings, which you can cancel relatively easily, avoid their broadband at all costs. They are constantly in the papers for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/i-am-absolutely-disgusted-frustration-with-eir-customer-service-reaches-crescendo-1.3792723

Wow! I thought it was just me - I waited about 2 months ago for 50 minutes then it rang and call dropped - I didn’t call back as I was so peed off waiting that long - That was customer support for broadband. In the end I asked a friend to fix it for me but paying over €70 a month I’d of expected better - looking forward to trying Digiweb now the savings will be amazing if it’s good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Is Digiweb not a 24 month contract? That put me off when looking into SIRO

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Is Digiweb not a 24 month contract? That put me off when looking into SIRO

No only 12 month for the one I signed up - never knew about SIRO until googling last night sounds amazing but again didn’t include the calls at the cost I wanted so getting the €44.95 deal which is amazing value! Fingers crossed next week when it’s switched over it’s all good and I’m not on boards giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 HomeBuyer32

Never, NEVER sign up with Eir. Never!

It baffles me how customer service can be allowed to be so bad. I suppose the blame lies with COMREG for being such a poor regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Never, NEVER sign up with Eir. Never!

It baffles me how customer service can be allowed to be so bad. I suppose the blame lies with COMREG for being such a poor regulator.

Poor regulation. It seems to be a Irish phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

I'm with Eir with a couple of years and paying 39.99 for 100MB and the phone.
    I ring annually and say if they want me to stay make me an offer to stay.

This always works for me too, I currently have off peak calls, 100Mb broadband and sim only mobile for €39.99 for 12 months. It's well worth calling eir at the end of your contract to tell them you want to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

This always works for me too, I currently have off peak calls, 100Mb broadband and sim only mobile for €39.99 for 12 months. It's well worth calling eir at the end of your contract to tell them you want to cancel.

Do you need to give them a months notice like Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I must be one of the lucky ones with Eir so going by the comments. I'm with them around 14 years. Every year when my 12 month contract is up the price goes back up to 78 Euro, but I call them before hand and renegotiate it back down.

I'm currently on 45 Euro per month with free calls anytime, off peak and peak and that's for everything, mobiles, international and even international mobiles

My speeds are always solid too, I'm on an 80/20 profile:
    PING ms 6 - DOWNLOAD Mbps 76.38 - UPLOAD Mbps 19.18

Blade wrote: »
    I must be one of the lucky ones with Eir so going by the comments. I'm with them around 14 years. Every year when my 12 month contract is up the price goes back up to 78 Euro, but I call them before hand and renegotiate it back down.

I'm currently on 45 Euro per month with free calls anytime, off peak and peak and that's for everything, mobiles, international and even international mobiles

My speeds are always solid too, I'm on an 80/20 profile:
    PING ms 6 - DOWNLOAD Mbps 76.38 - UPLOAD Mbps 19.18

You are one of the lucky ones - Im leaving them since today cant wait - with them over 14-15 years to but the speed just now shows everything 10mb - I cant increase it id have to ring care which is 50 minutes waiting time and they cut you off - Digiweb today was lovely and hoping once I get the modem it will be fast and solid. We pay the 78-83 and its got out of hand now that we cant afford it, instead of them trying to keep us and bring it down it looks like they dont care you'd think that when you sign up to someone else they would get in contact with you but im not worried.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Oige1981 wrote: »
    You are one of the lucky ones - Im leaving them since today cant wait - with them over 14-15 years to but the speed just now shows everything 10mb - I cant increase it id have to ring care which is 50 minutes waiting time and they cut you off - Digiweb today was lovely and hoping once I get the modem it will be fast and solid. We pay the 78-83 and its got out of hand now that we cant afford it, instead of them trying to keep us and bring it down it looks like they dont care you'd think that when you sign up to someone else they would get in contact with you but im not worried.

All these providers operate the same way, your deal with them is only for whatever length of time you sign up for, then the price automatically increases. This goes for your electric and gas too which I change provider for every year. But it's up to you to either renegotiate or switch provider every single time your contract ends. Eir is no different. There is no point them calling you after you've already switched provider away from them as it's then too late to try to keep you with them.

The wait times are terrible, agreed, but I just leave the speaker phone on and go about doing other things. And I don't mind as I only have to do it once a year. The only time I got cut off after a long wait was when it went past 5 O'Clock when presumably the operators were dying to go home. So call early.

Something to consider regarding your connection is that you may just have a terrible line and changing provider may not necessarily make any difference. The first thing you should do is go into your router's settings to check the statistics, the figures you're looking for are the Net Attainable rates which will tell you the max speed your line is capable of. Then look at the actual speed you're connected at. For example if your attainable is 100mbits and you're connected at 10, then it's just a case of you calling the Net support team and getting them to increase your profile. If your attainable rate is only 10, then I think it's unlikely you'll get any better from another provider as Eir still run the infrastructure.

Blade wrote: »
    All these providers operate the same way, your deal with them is only for whatever length of time you sign up for, then the price automatically increases. This goes for your electric and gas too which I change provider for every year. But it's up to you to either renegotiate or switch provider every single time your contract ends. Eir is no different. There is no point them calling you after you've already switched provider away from them as it's then too late to try to keep you with them.

The wait times are terrible, agreed, but I just leave the speaker phone on and go about doing other things. And I don't mind as I only have to do it once a year. The only time I got cut off after a long wait was when it went past 5 O'Clock when presumably the operators were dying to go home. So call early.

Something to consider regarding your connection is that you may just have a terrible line and changing provider may not necessarily make any difference. The first thing you should do is go into your router's settings to check the statistics, the figures you're looking for are the Net Attainable rates which will tell you the max speed your line is capable of. Then look at the actual speed you're connected at. For example if your attainable is 100mbits and you're connected at 10, then it's just a case of you calling the Net support team and getting them to increase your profile. If your attainable rate is only 10, then I think it's unlikely you'll get any better from another provider as Eir still run the infrastructure.

Thanks so much when it first began the service was brilliant - the box for the whole estate is literally outside my house so it should be as fast as lightening - I left it on speaker phone and rang them before to tell them its gone so slow and the wait time was 50 minutes for them to fix it - paying such a high amount they should have a dedicated line instead of waiting and waiting and waiting - the last time was only 2 months and it was 50 minutes and then the line went dead I was so annoyed. Digiweb will be interesting to see how they will compare but the price alone was enough to tempt me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Out of contract next month with Eir. Rang today about switching. Was given the option of broadband, home phone (which we don’t use), 2 mobile sims with all data/ Irish calls covered for 75pm. Told them I was going to wait until Black Friday and will probably go somewhere else.

They told me I don’t need to give 30 days notice when I am switching provider which I was surprised about.....

I called 6 times, the first 6 my dial tone didn’t register so I couldn’t type in my account number, then 3 times where the line went dead after 7 minutes, then waited 15min and got to talk to someone...

emclau wrote: »
    Out of contract next month with Eir. Rang today about switching. Was given the option of broadband, home phone (which we don’t use), 2 mobile sims with all data/ Irish calls covered for 75pm. Told them I was going to wait until Black Friday and will probably go somewhere else.

They told me I don’t need to give 30 days notice when I am switching provider which I was surprised about.....

I called 6 times, the first 6 my dial tone didn’t register so I couldn’t type in my account number, then 3 times where the line went dead after 7 minutes, then waited 15min and got to talk to someone...

I got the text today to say my modem has been dispatched from Digiweb - can’t wait to start saving money each month. Final bill from Eir came today and again €80 way too much for what we get and Digiweb half the price and hopefully will be faster also. I’ll update once Eir is gone and Digiweb is the main broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

with regular switching, you can keep the price around €35 per month - vodafone to sky to eir to pure telecom to vodafone... I think they just re-sell the same broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Signed up for this last week was told I get 1 years Amazon Prime see below screenshot..

Agreed to this now they tell me it's Prime Video subscription and they won't even offer me a discount I have to phone them when broadband is set up..

Vodafone said broadband not available which was weird because I had broadband with them before

Sky returned I couldn't get it

Eir told me I could get 30mb fibre optic which is strange..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Got Eir installed yesterday on the One Big Switch deal from early November.

€40 per month for 12 months with €100 account credit and €50 installation cost. Average €36. Getting 95Mbps WiFi.

I was paying €60 with Virgin BB plus €15 Eir sport rising to €30. Average €72. Virgin offered me 6 months at half price only. Was getting 238 WiFi but didn’t need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

Can't wait for our Eir contract to finish in 2 months time.

Appalling customer support, most difficult to make phone contact with, and when you get through, you'll most likely get transferred to another department, meaning a further long wait.

To top it, I've been charged €80 for 'non return of a set top box' for which I have proof of return confirmed. So now starts another cycle of 20 minutes plus wait to speak to 'customer service'. Apparently a common issue, I'm told.

Eir.... Forty foot barge pole comes to mind. ��������

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

Maybe I’m lucky but I just called eir loyalty at 1800303452 as I was nearing end of current contract had to wait 30 minutes but got a deal fir €59pm including BB, Eir Mobile World phone and 2 mobiles with 80gb allowances, so it’s worth waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Aranoahi

I have had the eir fibre broadband at 300 MB for nearly one year.

Speed on the eir 300 MB is usually:
    • Ping: 6,
    • Download: 287 MB,
    • Upload: 48 MB.

My current contract is about to end. I am looking at the eir 1GB.

Does anybody have any experience with the eir 1GB Broadband?

Advertisement