Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Tvs

Options
  • 23-01-2021 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

Can I receive terrestrial channels (ie RTE/Saorview) with a smart tv?

Can I connect the cable from a terrestrial antenna into it or might it depend on the specification for the particular model

Has Brexit had any effect on new tvs at all by the way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

All TVs purchased in Ireland/UK will be compatible with RTÉ/Saorview with an aerial attached be they smart or otherwise.

Brexit has no effect on TV specs, other than price maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Link to the bargain seems to be broken

I bought a 65” one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

get the one with the remote, and dont point at UK ( you might get away with NIron though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Yeah it’s a smart tv so you need to be careful. If you use the internet it will know your location so you’ll be due to pay import tax. If you select United Kingdom you’ll need to be pay import tax on using saorview also

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

skinny90 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s a smart tv so you need to be careful. If you use the internet it will know your location so you’ll be due to pay import tax. If you select United Kingdom you’ll need to be pay import tax on using saorview also

And Donald Trump won the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Obligatory thanks OP bought 6 post...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Can we get the angelus ?

No but think I seen a good deal on church bells on a different BA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Can we get the angelus ?

What time do you want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

What time do you want it?

I need on catchup, as I missed a few of last weeks episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

x-Al-Yw-AZ-d.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Can we get the angelus ?

Only if set to Ireland

If set to UK, it's Protestant content you'll receive - village fetes, damsen jam, clotted cream and bunting

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

DopeTech wrote: »
    x-Al-Yw-AZ-d.png

300 on Virgin Media..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is the idea for the shop to set it up for the UK so as to avoid import tax?

Once I have it bought I can change any geographical settings can't I?

dupe

Oh dear :D:D
    ?

amandstu wrote: »
    Is the idea for the shop to set it up for the UK so as to avoid import tax?

Once I have it bought I can change any geographical settings can't I?

Hi amandstu
    This thread is for bargains not questions on saorview.
    I’m not sure if your playing along or if your genuinely confused

Il assume the latter and apologise for being sarcastic.

Your not liable for any import taxes.

Setting up geographical locations won’t matter either. You can always change if it’s needed when tunning in.

Brexit doesn’t make your tv not have saorview

What is needed for saorview is an MPEG 4 tunner in the telly and a uhf signal from an antenna

If your telly has this your should be fine

If you are unsure post the make and model of the telly and il tell you if it has saorview

Hi amandstu
    This thread is for bargains not questions on saorview.
    I’m not sure if your playing along or if your genuinely confused

Il assume the latter and apologise for being sarcastic.

Your not liable for any import taxes.

Setting up geographical locations won’t matter either. You can always change if it’s needed when tunning in.

Brexit doesn’t make your tv not have saorview

What is needed for saorview is an MPEG 4 tunner in the telly and a uhf signal from an antenna

If your telly has this your should be fine

If you are unsure post the make and model of the telly and il tell you if it has saorview
    How about this one?

https://www.did.ie/toshiba-series-wl3-24-hd-ready-dled-smart-tv-black-24wl3a63db-24wl3a63db-prd

It says "no digital Irish tv".Does that mean no Saorview?

Can I attach a terrestrial cable to it to get RTE ? Can I get the Virgin Media channels as well or do they just come with Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

amandstu wrote: »
    How about this one?

https://www.did.ie/toshiba-series-wl3-24-hd-ready-dled-smart-tv-black-24wl3a63db-24wl3a63db-prd

It says "no digital Irish tv".Does that mean no Saorview?

Can I attach a terrestrial cable to it to get RTE ? Can I get the Virgin Media channels as well or do they just come with Saorview?

At one stage it was possible to get TVs made for the UK market that did not have Ireland as a country option and therefore didn't recognise Saorview signals even if the tuner was capable of receiving it. This meant either no picture or at least the channels would be in random order in the 800's range. I didn't think they were allowed to still sell these.

At one stage it was possible to get TVs made for the UK market that did not have Ireland as a country option and therefore didn't recognise Saorview signals even if the tuner was capable of receiving it. This meant either no picture or at least the channels would be in random order in the 800's range. I didn't think they were allowed to still sell these.

In power City they say its saorview enabled. It might be a typo.

https://powercity.ie/product/324752

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In power City they say its saorview enabled. It might be a typo.

https://powercity.ie/product/324752

That's why I was surprised. I know Curry's had the non-Irish ones a few years ago. I got one and had to return it. (not this model)
    I'd still like to see if RTE1 was on ch1 on an aerial before buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Of the top of my head, but didn't Saorview decide to use the new MPEG4 format at the time, while the UK stuck with MPEG2?

Back then there were some issue with UK TVs possible not supporting Saorview, but would all new TV's not support MPEG4 these days?

If you want to buy a decent tv then go to richer sounds website, they will price match any tv and offer a 6 year warranty with excellent customer services and great advice
    thanks,I had forgotten their name. I will give them a look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ForestFire wrote: »
    Of the top of my head, but didn't Saorview decide to use the new MPEG4 format at the time, while the UK stuck with MPEG2?

Back then there were some issue with UK TVs possible not supporting Saorview, but would all new TV's not support MPEG4 these days?

Saorview have a big list of approved TV's and boxes.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products

Advertisement