Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 153: Please post questions here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Anyone already using 1.29B8 Firmware ? It seems it updates the channel list when recording but now I'm no longer seeing saorview in the channel list whan recording a satellite channel . Anyone else seeing this ?

I'd strongly advise not upgrading if you have not already done so.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Ive seen this happen as well, dont do a lot of recording to know if it was a once off or happens all the time. Will check what firmware its running later

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi Tony, I can see from this thread and other threads that you have a great knowledge of the Ariva boxes. I started with a 120 then a 250 when I left Sky. I have since moved onto linux/enigma boxes for their advantages over the standard combos. Anyway I realized at the weekend from reading else where on the web that you can run patched software which I found for the 120 and 250 which worked great. I have brother inlaw who brought 153 last year and was thinking of upgrading his. Do you know if the patched version 1.29B8 is ok to run only I saw a comment that there was an issue with it? Also correct me that I definitely can not use a channel line up from one box ie 250 on 153 and that even the versions ie 1.29 of a .abs file must be the same? Thanks Martin

Hi Martin, afraid I've not used patched software so I can't help you with that part unfortunately. You are correct its not wise to attempt to use a channel list from another model or firmware version.

mjatkey wrote: »
    I have brother inlaw who brought 153 last year and was thinking of upgrading his. Do you know if the patched version 1.29B8 is ok to run only I saw a comment that there was an issue with it? Also correct me that I definitely can not use a channel line up from one box ie 250 on 153 and that even the versions ie 1.29 of a .abs file must be the same? Thanks Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Tony wrote: »
    Do you have a hard drive or USB stick connected ? If so disconnect the stick or drive for a while and see if the problem still occurs .

this actually solved my channel up down issue, time to buy a better brand of usb stick i think

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony, and one more quick question does anyone have a good copy of the Ariva channel editor. All the ones I have found either display no channel name (station name) or most of it is unreadable in plain text. Thanks

I'm using the one from the ferguson website without any problem for the 153 . I think there was an earlier version though for the 120 and 150

Yes I've tried a few but they never display the channel name correctly any chance you could mail or post a copy? Thanks

Not sure what the point would be as the programme I have came from the ferguson website.

mjatkey wrote: »
    Yes I've tried a few but they never display the channel name correctly any chance you could mail or post a copy? Thanks

Hi Tony, you said there was an issue with the firmware on Ferguson site for the 153 A153Combo_V1.29B8.7z.

Do you know if this will be resolved? The patched copy I have also has the bin miss match error.

Are there any others available? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Tony, think I have it you need to add the patch version for the version the box is already running. So on the brother inlaws rather than use latest v1.29 I used v1.28.b4 and hey presto no bin error and now have the access I was looking for. Thanks

Yeap v1.28.b4 patch works fine all channels good, also took the editor from the 153 page on Ferguson and works great. So next question if I take all the channels from the 153 then build them into the favourites I want do I just save then re-add to the box. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Bit of an odd one for me this time. On my Ariva 153, I've lost radio which normally would be received on the DVB-T [saorview] input. Saorview TV is fine.

I haven't spent much time at it as yet, so all i've attempted to do is to retune Terrestrial stations via the setup menus of the box. This scans and appears to locate both TV and Radio stations, but when I return to view or listen to the stations I only get TV.

Some additional info - the EPG on the radio channels is completely blank (its fine on the TV channels). The satellite side of it is fine - all TV and Radio stations are receivable with EPG, so I can still get RTE1, 2FM, etc.. via this source but i'm wondering what has happened my SAORVIEW stations (box/ariel/other?).

On a separate setup in the house (different TV/Ariel), radio via Saorview is working fine so I gather its not a reception issue in my area. If anyone has come across something similar and has a fix or anything to try it would be appreciated.

Actually, how many people listen to radio on their TV or am I just weird? :pac:

Try F1 button top left hand corner of remote

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Bit of an odd one for me this time. On my Ariva 153, I've lost radio which normally would be received on the DVB-T [saorview] input. Saorview TV is fine.

Actually, how many people listen to radio on their TV or am I just weird? :pac:

Tony wrote: »
    Try F1 button top left hand corner of remote

Not so simple. The F1 will switch to and fro between radio and tv as is normal but the issue is more that when on the Radio function of the box, the RTE/Saorview supplied channels are missing. Well, the place holders are still there so when I go to channel 1 it says RTE Radio 1 but there is no sound.

Again, only briefly had a chance to look last night but I *think* that saorview radio channels RTEs/Lyric/etc... are elsewhere on the Ariva's guide. I say this as I happened to stumble upon them this morning up around channel 92 or something like that. So, my theory at this stage is that they have moved location or the guide has in some way been reset (this, may be at least partially due to my own Terrestrial retune as per post above).

I'll check further over the weekend and if the channels are just moved then i'll probably have a bit of manipulation of the guide locations and removals of the blank channels to do.

I've just tested this on 3 rock and kippure and it seems to be ok . Did you have search set to "tv and radio" ?

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Not so simple. The F1 will switch to and fro between radio and tv as is normal but the issue is more that when on the Radio function of the box, the RTE/Saorview supplied channels are missing. Well, the place holders are still there so when I go to channel 1 it says RTE Radio 1 but there is no sound.

Again, only briefly had a chance to look last night but I *think* that saorview radio channels RTEs/Lyric/etc... are elsewhere on the Ariva's guide. I say this as I happened to stumble upon them this morning up around channel 92 or something like that. So, my theory at this stage is that they have moved location or the guide has in some way been reset (this, may be at least partially due to my own Terrestrial retune as per post above).

I'll check further over the weekend and if the channels are just moved then i'll probably have a bit of manipulation of the guide locations and removals of the blank channels to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@Tony
    Maybe coincidence but didn't RTÉ radio move TP recently on satellite? Perhaps OP is trying the old sat settings.
    12266 H 27500 5/6

Good point Gerry as the sat feeds are FTA

@Tony
    Maybe coincidence but didn't RTÉ radio move TP recently on satellite? Perhaps OP is trying the old sat settings.
    12266 H 27500 5/6

Thanks guys - Think I may be out of the woods and I have a theory.

If I was incorrect originally thinking that I was listening to DVB-T supplied radio but that I was actually listening to satellite supplied radio then as Gerry mentions, when RTE radio moved - the channels were "empty" but still listed on the box. So when I went to channel 1 which heretofore was RTE Radio 1, it still showed on the box but nothing was being received (hence no EPG info).

I've re-tuned now and have both DVB-T and Satellite versions of RTE radios available and I've moved the DVB-T ones back to channels 1 and subsequent. This would also explain that I hadn't actually modified anything on the box to cause it (change actually being made at the satellite side of things). Anyhow, all is now good again.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Glad you got sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Liverpool1981

Hi guys,

Had Arriva for few months now, turned box on yesterday on Soarview channels have gone & all my favorites (News/Entertainment/Movies etc) have gone back to default i.e. "Fav1,Fav2 etc". Took me bloody ages to set them up!

I downloaded channel list and now I have one category called "All channels" , so now i have no favorites and can't see any of the saorview channels like RTE/TV3 etc. Basically can I download a preprogrammed channels list with favorites already done? I know that sounds lazy but it's bloody tedious trying to do it.

Also I downloaded firmware "A153Combo_V1.29B8.7z". Went to upgrade by USB but no file showing up.

That's a compressed file so you have to extract it to .abs first . What firmware version are you on at the moment and do you know what saorview transmitter you are using?

Also I downloaded firmware "A153Combo_V1.29B8.7z". Went to upgrade by USB but no file showing up.

I extracted it and when I try to upgrade says BIN do nto match. Do you still want to upgrade?

Think maincode version is V1.284.

Ah ok, its good that you did not upgrade as it would have bricked the box .There are some issues with 1.29 which I made known to ferguson some weeks ago. Again what saorview transmitter are you using ?

I extracted it and when I try to upgrade says BIN do nto match. Do you still want to upgrade?

Think maincode version is V1.284.

OK phew! Not sure how I find out what saorview transmitter i'm using?

Try the saorview coverage checker on saorview.ie
    OK phew! Not sure how I find out what saorview transmitter i'm using?

Can the BBC red button be got on these. Was watching the cycling today on BBC2 and just after they started the final big race, it switched over to the red button while stupid tennis started on the regular channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

wobbles wrote: »
    Can the BBC red button be got on these ...

Not by pressing the red button but can be tuned in as a separate channel & selected like any other channel.

Currently on this transponder: 10773 MHz, H. polarity, 22000 symbol rate.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Not by pressing the red button but can be tuned in as a separate channel & selected like any other channel.

Currently on this transponder: 10773 MHz, H. polarity, 22000 symbol rate.

Apparently I have this already tuned in on channel 5, which in the list of all channels is 3e, of UTVHD from the channels coming from the dish.

Are they definitely the correct numbers or what am I doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

wobbles wrote: »
    Apparently I have this already tuned in on channel 5, which in the list of all channels is 3e, of UTVHD from the channels coming from the dish...

It must be saying the transponder settings are already saved in the transponder (TP) list, not referring to the list of TV channels?

Did you look through the TV channel list for the 'red button' channel?

If it isn't there, select that TP from the list, & scan it.

Advertisement