Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your setup?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

FTA receiver & 60cm dish pointed at 13E (Switch between 19.2E & 9E now & then). Sky dish poointed at 28E with Sky+ box & HD subscription, FTA receiver & 80cm dish pointing at 42E.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I've set up my 80cm dish with 3 lnbs. One quad at 28.2e, one single at 19.2e and one quad at 13e.
    I have a humax foxsat pvr with a dual feed from 28.2e for freesat. One of these feeds goes through a diseqc switch(yellow) along with a feed from 19.2e and 13e.
    I have an old humax viaccess box that has 28.2e and 13e through a diseqc switch(grey) for the bedroom.
    I also have wired a 13e cable to the sitting room with the view to getting a sky Italia box and card for the footie.
    That just leaves a spare 28.2e and a spare 13e in the attic.
    My next job is to get the raydon media bundle onto my humax pvr to get the foreign stations along side the freesat channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

Have finished installation of 1,5m prime-focus dish (one from my post #98 in this tread), got almost every satellite from 90*E till 30*W, all together about 40 Ky band sats. 18' actuator was pretty enough to get this arc, it moves antenna from East to West in 60 seconds. Will leave this antenna for work during winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

RimaNTSS wrote: »
    Have finished installation of 1,5m prime-focus dish (one from my post #98 in this tread), got almost every satellite from 90*E till 30*W, all together about 40 Ky band sats. 18' actuator was pretty enough to get this arc, it moves antenna from East to West in 60 seconds. Will leave this antenna for work during winter time.

that is good stuff, i would love that dish. at an estimate what is the cost of such a dish and does it have to be on a flat roof were did you mount it?

what is the resiver set up?

grate job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Fab :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

what is the cost of such a dish and does it have to be on a flat roof were did you mount it?

what is the resiver set up?

I do not know about new, got it second hand and payed about 50 bucks. And than, after renovation job (cleaning, painting, exchanging all nuts and bolts, some welding, adjusting of polar mechanism etc.). Any antenna could be mounted on a flat or slope roofs, the most important that mounting pole is dead plumb. My receiver (DM8000) has 1 terrestrial and 3 Sat tuners, one of them is working directly to this antenna, second one will be moving 1,8m polar-mounted antenna, and a third one will be switching all LNBs (perhaps 31 piece) from fixed antennas. In my case everything is mounted very compact on small portico on the South side of the house. I wish I had everything finished someday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Doodoo wrote: »
    I've set up my 80cm dish with 3 lnbs. One quad at 28.2e, one single at 19.2e and one quad at 13e.
    I have a humax foxsat pvr with a dual feed from 28.2e for freesat. One of these feeds goes through a diseqc switch(yellow) along with a feed from 19.2e and 13e.
    I have an old humax viaccess box that has 28.2e and 13e through a diseqc switch(grey) for the bedroom.
    I also have wired a 13e cable to the sitting room with the view to getting a sky Italia box and card for the footie.
    That just leaves a spare 28.2e and a spare 13e in the attic.
    My next job is to get the raydon media bundle onto my humax pvr to get the foreign stations along side the freesat channels.

I use the Raydon Media Bundle on my Humax. Its well handy and was easy to install - I recommend it

Wow, what a set-up

I have one of those motors lying around in the shed - bought it over in Egypt - could never figure out how to set it up/use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

221308.JPG

Looks like Montrose AKA RTE:)

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just to update on some other bits and bobs I've changed around.
    Now I'm running 7 LNBs on my dish and after a bit of tweaking today I am just sharing the outcome ;)
    Thanks to a post I spotted on another Forum by a fellow Boards.ie member (namely Excollier....Thank you Mate!)
    I modified my LNB arm ever so slightly and got some noticeable benefits
    Modified may too strong a word...
    Basically all I did(folowing Excollier's post) was to raise the LNB arm ever so slightly by using a shim between the base of the dish and where the LNB arm joins the dish face....
    I used @1.5-2mm piece of metal, I just lifted the LNB arm, placed the shim and let the arm rest ever so slightly higher.....

This allows the LNB arm to sit ever so slightly higher, a small difference!
    But one that allows a noticeable improvement
    Now on 4.8e, 9/10e, 13e and 16e I gained @5-7% signal strength on my Vu Duo, over my old values on the channels I use in my custom LNB align Bouquet(Not scientific I know but I dont have a meter)
    And on 19.2e and 23.5e I gained @ 3-5% and similar gain on 28.2e.
    I'll add a table later with the before and after signal %'247784.jpgs
    247786.jpg

• Advertisement

Banie,

Looks good.

Whats your center, 16?

I also tried to add a shim to my set-up the other week but at the end of the arm. Was trying to stick it in under the Black Plastic thing as I noticed that the weight was pulling the arm down. Ill try what you and Excollier have done asap.

Cant really see how your 4.8 is attached though.

Was thinking of getting some metal rope/chord to tie around the end of the arm and attach the rope to the top of the dish to also help with the weight problem.

Would drilling two 5mm holes near the top of a dish cause any ill effects?

Whats a 'custom LNB align Bouquet'?

iba wrote: »
    Banie,
    Looks good.
    Whats your center, 16?
    Yep 16e
    Cant really see how your 4.8 is attached though.
    Cableties of course! 1 of the handiest inventions ever ;)
    Was thinking of getting some metal rope/chord to tie around the end of the arm and attach the rope to the top of the dish to also help with the weight problem.
    Would drilling two 5mm holes near the top of a dish cause any ill effects?
    Does your dish not have predrilled holes on the Dish lip at the @10 and 2 o'clock positions?
    Drilling the holes if they aren't there won't cause a problem.
    Also, Builders twine or paracord would probably be a better bet than wire rope, as it would be transparent to the Sat signal.(Advice I was given many a moon ago)
    Whats a 'custom LNB align Bouquet'?
    Its fairly self explanatory really.
    Its a custom bouquet I created for aligning my multi LNB set up ;)
    Its just a selection of the weaker TPs and favourite channels from all the Sat's in my setup saved into a bouquet\list of @20 channels that allow quick and easy +\- channel changes to check reception across all the birds I use.
    Makes aligning and tweaking a lot easier than going into each individual sat via channel lists or even attach a meter to each LNB.
    And as in a multi LNB setup adjust 1 LNB can have a knock on effect on the others, its a quick and easy way to track what effect changes have across the setup via just changing a channel on the E2 Sat meter or dreamdroid sat meter.

banie01 wrote: »
    Yep 16e

Cableties of course! 1 of the handiest inventions ever ;)

Does your dish not have predrilled holes on the Dish lip at the @10 and 2 o'clock positions?
    Drilling the holes if they aren't there won't cause a problem.
    Also, Builders twine or paracord would probably be a better bet than wire rope, as it would be transparent to the Sat signal.(Advice I was given many a moon ago)

Its fairly self explanatory really.
    Its a custom bouquet I created for aligning my multi LNB set up ;)
    Its just a selection of the weaker TPs and favourite channels from all the Sat's in my setup saved into a bouquet\list of @20 channels that allow quick and easy +\- channel changes to check reception across all the birds I use.
    Makes aligning and tweaking a lot easier than going into each individual sat via channel lists or even attach a meter to each LNB.
    And as in a multi LNB setup adjust 1 LNB can have a knock on effect on the others, its a quick and easy way to track what effect changes have across the setup via just changing a channel on the E2 Sat meter or dreamdroid sat meter.

Thanks for all that banie.

Yes Cable Ties are a wonderful invention - Ive used those Green Gardening Ties that they sell in Lidl from time to time.

Ive no holes at the top - but have them at 16.00 and 20.00 (and no I dont have my dish upside down) - thanks on the advice for the type of rope to get.

I dont have a Sat Meter either - so I just use dishpointer to get 26 and then just trial and error to get the rest by leaving my STB on the strongest transponder from each sat. But I am waiting for this from Hong Kong:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SF95-Satellite-Finder-Signal-Satfinder-Sat-Meter-for-Sat-Directv-Dish-/110837950915?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

As far as I know, bouquets have not been written for the Arivas, so I have never used them - but I think STB (the person) wrote in a post a while back that he was in the process of writing a programme to do this.

As far as I know, bouquets have not been written for the Arivas, so I have never used them - but I think STB (the person) wrote in a post a while back that he was in the process of writing a programme to do this.

Are you saying that the Ariva cannot create a simple multisat channel list?
    i.e a list with say Sky Sports 1 28.2, FutbolHD 19.2, Tring Sport 16, Al Jazeera+1 13 all on a single list so you can use +/- to switch channel and sat?
    Is it that the receiver does not allow multiple sats to be used in a channel list?

I'm asking as I have no experience of any non linux receivers...
    But if the box does not allow creation of a favourites/channel list across multiple sats it would be a serious drawback for me.

As an example, I like to group all the sports/movies/documentary channels I receive across all sats into custom lists, so my sports list would have 28.2,23.5, 19.2, 16, 13, 9/10 all in a single list so I can scroll through by category rather than on a by satellite basis.(Same with movies and so on)
    I use a Sly UK number matching Bouquet as my default and have all received networks broken out by provider i.e Sky Italia, Orange, CanaalSat and so on.
    But apart from Sky my viewing on multisat is accessed by using my custom lists as I find it a handy way of breaking out viewing by categories rather than switching sats or providers constantly.

PS. Thats beside the fact that a Custom channel list of Favourite Channels and Weak TPs makes aligning and adjusting the dish and LNBs a hell of a lot easier than selecting 1 sat at a time!
    I use an android app when I'm at the dish and it allows instant viewing of the signal strength and swapping between sat's to check any changes.

Are you saying that the Ariva cannot create a simple multisat channel list?
    i.e a list with say Sky Sports 1 28.2, FutbolHD 19.2, Tring Sport 16, Al Jazeera+1 13 all on a single list so you can use +/- to switch channel and sat?
    Is it that the receiver does not allow multiple sats to be used in a channel list?

I'm asking as I have no experience of any non linux receivers...
    But if the box does not allow creation of a favourites/channel list across multiple sats it would be a serious drawback for me.

As an example, I like to group all the sports/movies/documentary channels I receive across all sats into custom lists, so my sports list would have 28.2,23.5, 19.2, 16, 13, 9/10 all in a single list so I can scroll through by category rather than on a by satellite basis.(Same with movies and so on)
    I use a Sly UK number matching Bouquet as my default and have all received networks broken out by provider i.e Sky Italia, Orange, CanaalSat and so on.
    But apart from Sky my viewing on multisat is accessed by using my custom lists as I find it a handy way of breaking out viewing by categories rather than switching sats or providers constantly.

PS. Thats beside the fact that a Custom channel list of Favourite Channels and Weak TPs makes aligning and adjusting the dish and LNBs a hell of a lot easier than selecting 1 sat at a time!
    I use an android app when I'm at the dish and it allows instant viewing of the signal strength and swapping between sat's to check any changes.

Sorry for not being clear.

Yes the Ariva can make favorite Chanel lists, eg I have News stations from 28, 19, 16 etc all grouped under a favorite catergory called News and I can switch between them with the +/- button.

But I thought you were talking about bouquets like RATS Bouquets that bring in transponders - sorry my confusion.

But I dont understand how you pull in your stations to get them in the 1st place. Example: so you want to get 13, 16 and 19 - do you start with just one LNB on your dish and then search for stations on 13 and then once you signal in on them, save them and then move onto 16 and do the same. And then once you have 13, 16 and 19 stations on your box make just a little channel list of the stations on each sat (13, 16 and 19) which have weakest transponders.

Whats the Android app - will it work on a Android phone or tablet or just on a Linux box?

Sorry for not being clear.

Yes the Ariva can make favorite Chanel lists, eg I have News stations from 28, 19, 16 etc all grouped under a favorite catergory called News and I can switch between them with the +/- button.
    Well in that case its easy to create a list of weak Tps to better align your LNBs and make tweaking a lot easier.
    But I thought you were talking about bouquets like RATS Bouquets that bring in transponders - sorry my confusion.
    Ah you meant auto updating bouquets!
    In general terms bouquets just refers to a set of channel lists.
    If one is discussing autobouquets or Rats updater that is a different topic
    But I dont understand how you pull in your stations to get them in the 1st place. Example: so you want to get 13, 16 and 19 - do you start with just one LNB on your dish and then search for stations on 13 and then once you signal in on them, save them and then move onto 16 and do the same. And then once you have 13, 16 and 19 stations on your box make just a little channel list of the stations on each sat (13, 16 and 19) which have weakest transponders.
    My dish is locked at 16e, If and when I change things around I use an updated satellites.xml along with my own channel lists to get peak reception.
    When I am scanning new stations, I just either run a single TP scan or leave it run a full autoscan on all sats overnight with an updated bouquet and sats.xml
    Whats the Android app - will it work on a Android phone or tablet or just on a Linux box?
    There are many android sat finder apps out there.
    I find Krkadoni's E2 sat finder and the Satfinder in Dreamdroid both to be very good.
    Obviously they work on Android phones and tablets being that they are Android applications!
    They connect via network(wifi or 3G) to Linux receiver to allow realtime viewing of signal strength and so on, some even allow video streaming.
    I don't know if any of the apps out there will connect to your Ariva though..

If you use Android just search for Satellite finder in the store,there are literally hundreds to choose from.
    There even some augmented reality ones that will show where the satellite arc is via your camera view finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My latest set up. No motor now, Just a 1.1m fixed dish for 28, 23.5, 19, 16, 13, 10/9 and a 80cm for 1 west. Dishes are nice and low, great for maintenance and fiddling with! Feeds 2 Dreamboxes in the living room and kitchen. Ive an old sky dish on the side of the house feeding the bedrooms just with 28 east.

252321.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

snaps wrote: »
    My latest set up. No motor now, Just a 1.1m fixed dish for 28, 23.5, 19, 16, 13, 10/9 and a 80cm for 1 west. Dishes are nice and low, great for maintenance and fiddling with! Feeds 2 Dreamboxes in the living room and kitchen. Ive an old sky dish on the side of the house feeding the bedrooms just with 28 east.

252321.jpg

Nice work bud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Well guys here is my set up!!! I disnt have the know how or patience to set it up myself..Main tv in Living room Amiko Alien and at the moment have two other tv's using Ferguson Ariva 150s.Sats im getting are 9e,13e,16e,19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e.

Well guys here is my set up!!! I disnt have the know how or patience to set it up myself..Main tv in Living room Amiko Alien and at the moment have two other tv's using Ferguson Ariva 150s.Sats im getting are 9e,13e,16e,19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e.

Hi Ronan,

Can I ask, how do you get 6 sats but only have 5 LNBs and what Sat do you actually have it centered on?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

There is a smaller Sky-type dish above the multi-sat setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Hi Ronan,

Can I ask, how do you get 6 sats but only have 5 LNBs and what Sat do you actually have it centered on?

Thanks

Yeap as Peter said smaller dish on top.Not sure what dish it is centred on the lad who did the install set it up.

About bloody time Ronan! ;-)
    Seriously though, enjoy your viewing and remember you wil be able to pull in a lot of 10e on the 9e LNB too(not that theres much on it, but can be handy for feeds.)

About bloody time Ronan! ;-)
    Seriously though, enjoy your viewing and remember you wil be able to pull in a lot of 10e on the 9e LNB too(not that theres much on it, but can be handy for feeds.)

Talking about 10 and 9e. I did a blind scan on 10e the other nite and pulled in hundreds of the stations from 9e. Obviously wrong. So I then did a preset scan on 10e and it still pulled in hundreds of stations from 9e. Is this a common occurrence?

My next idea is just scan in by each of the transponders on 10e individually - there are not too many. Or am I better off just scanning 9e and not bothering with 10 at all or vice-versa?

You might answer that the dish is slightly off but since I have it perfect for MBC (which is more important for me) at 91% strength and 71% quality, Im not going to move the dish.

Yeap as Peter said smaller dish on top.Not sure what dish it is centred on the lad who did the install set it up.

ah probably 16 then - and the top dish has 28

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

It isn't aligned on 16 east, there's no lnb at the prime focus. Dish doesn't have to be aligned on an actual satellite position if all the lnbs are offset.

Talking about 10 and 9e. I did a blind scan on 10e the other nite and pulled in hundreds of the stations from 9e. Obviously wrong. So I then did a preset scan on 10e and it still pulled in hundreds of stations from 9e. Is this a common occurrence?

My next idea is just scan in by each of the transponders on 10e individually - there are not too many. Or am I better off just scanning 9e and not bothering with 10 at all or vice-versa?

You might answer that the dish is slightly off but since I have it perfect for MBC (which is more important for me) at 91% strength and 71% quality, Im not going to move the dish.

Just merge the positions via either assigning the LNB to both sats in your advanced tuner setup or edit the satellite.xml file to include the full list of tps for both birds under 1 heading.
    In general sats within 1.5deg of each other can both be received via 1LNB.

Just merge the positions via either assigning the LNB to both sats in your advanced tuner setup or edit the satellite.xml file to include the full list of tps for both birds under 1 heading.
    In general sats within 1.5deg of each other can both be received via 1LNB.

Thanks

Dont have an advanced tuner set up as far as I know. No idea about satellite.xml files either. Im talking about arivas here. But I understand what your saying.
    Probably will just add the transponders from 10e to 9e

Thanks again

At last Im finished.

Top dish is 88cm and has Sats 28, 26, 23, 19 and 13 - it is centered on 26 and the bar is turned upside down. It goes into an 8x1 Diseqc to the attic and then is split to give 3 feeds to each bedroom. (also got an aerial lying in the rafters in the attic to get Terrestrial stations which is also split to go to three rooms)

Bottom dish is motorised and is 1.1 - it picks up the following:

East - 3, 4.8, 7, 9, 13, 16, 19, 23, 26 and 28
    West - 1, 5, 12.5, 15, 22 and 30

I cant get 33, 36 and 39 (i think due to line of sight (house in the way))

So any suggestions how to improve, anything Im missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

At last Im finished.

Top dish is 88cm and has Sats 28, 26, 23, 19 and 13 - it is centered on 26 and the bar is turned upside down. It goes into an 8x1 Diseqc to the attic and then is split to give 3 feeds to each bedroom. (also got an aerial lying in the rafters in the attic to get Terrestrial stations which is also split to go to three rooms)

Bottom dish is motorised and is 1.1 - it picks up the following:

East - 3, 4.8, 7, 9, 13, 16, 19, 23, 26 and 28
    West - 1, 5, 12.5, 15, 22 and 30

I cant get 33, 36 and 39 (i think due to line of sight (house in the way))

So any suggestions how to improve, anything Im missing?

How I hate to read these posts as it makes me want to re do and do more with my setup! So many times I go to the shed, pick up my motor and hesitate to mount it back up (Ive 3 receivers using my fixed dish set up, so can all watch different sats at the same time), But i could just motorize the Living room DM800 and be done with it (But really im only missing out on a handfull of sats like 7 east, 5 east and the western sats past 1 west).

A couple of questions:
    How are you splitting your feeds in the attic? Are you using a multi switch? Is the motorized dish feeding a seperate receiver? Whats the signal on your 26 east like (Fixed 88 dish)? I would have thought 26 east on a 88cm dish would be very marginal?

Also re 33 east onwards, they do start to get lower to the horizon past 33 east, Ive next doors house blocking 33 east onwards. Ive only succesfully got 39/42east when ive fitted a dish with just a field in the line of sight! Even 30 west for me is fairly high up and that can be got with a 60 cm dish with no major problems.

Advertisement