Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor RTE1 - is it my ariel?

• 03-01-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I’ve setup Saorview and all channels seem fine apart from RTE1 which is constantly breaking up. I checked through the forum and this seems to be a pretty common problem but I couldn’t find any fixes.

I’m in Malahide and here is the info from the Saorview website -
    Transmitter
    2RN Transmitter:KIPPURE
    Channels: 34, 35
    Polarization:H
    Direction (degrees):South West (203)
    Distance: 31 km

I have this ariel stuck on a window facing SW. It’s supposed to be 50 miles so I thought it would be ok? One thing, it’s a Freeview (U.K.) ariel but I didn’t think that would be an issue??
    RGTech Monarch 50 Transparent Indoor Freeview HDTV Aerial - True 50 Mile Multidirectional Paper-Thin Antenna - 4G filter for Maximum Freeview/UHF/VHF/FM/USB TV Tuner/DVB-T/DVB-T2/DAB radio reception https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MAXT66E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_F5B8FbX6WDXD0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

On the coverage map there are areas near the Kippure transmitter which do not get a signal. Enable Pro Mode if you cannot see the map.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/kippure

It's an inexact science, so in the end you will be best placed to find out what aerial will work best where you are. You should take a look at your signal strength/quality readings if you are doing any changes.

You could try Channels 30 and 33 from Three Rock.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Three_Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have this ariel stuck on a window facing SW. It’s supposed to be 50 miles so I thought it would be ok?

Quoting distance on the specs. of a TV aerial is pure BS. If there's no obstructions in between, it's the transmitter power alone that determines how far the signal travels.
    One thing, it’s a Freeview (U.K.) ariel but I didn’t think that would be an issue??

Not an issue, the TV signal is UHF here and in the UK. It could even predate Freeview and digital TV. An aerial that's 40 years old would do, as long as it was designed to pick up UHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

I’ve setup Saorview and all channels seem fine apart from RTE1 which is constantly breaking up. I checked through the forum and this seems to be a pretty common problem but I couldn’t find any fixes.

I’m in Malahide and here is the info from the Saorview website -
    Transmitter
    2RN Transmitter:KIPPURE
    Channels: 34, 35
    Polarization:H
    Direction (degrees):South West (203)
    Distance: 31 km

I have this ariel stuck on a window facing SW. It’s supposed to be 50 miles so I thought it would be ok? One thing, it’s a Freeview (U.K.) ariel but I didn’t think that would be an issue??
    RGTech Monarch 50 Transparent Indoor Freeview HDTV Aerial - True 50 Mile Multidirectional Paper-Thin Antenna - 4G filter for Maximum Freeview/UHF/VHF/FM/USB TV Tuner/DVB-T/DVB-T2/DAB radio reception https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MAXT66E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_F5B8FbX6WDXD0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for any advice!

As has been said channels 30 & 33 from Three Rock should be better, it serves most of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a bit mad how often the coverage predictor recommends Kippure over Three rock, I don't understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks for the info gents. The problem is that I’ve no idea to check where I’m picking the signal up from. I’ve a new Sony TV (Android) and an enigma 2 satellite receiver that has a terrestrial card in it as well.

Just as an example, this is what I can see on the receiver:
    RTE1: 546000 Band: 8Mhz
    RTE2: 570000 Band: 8Mhz

I’m not exactly sure how to add a station from a different transmitter (both Three Rock and Kippure are in the same general direction for me), should I see one from each? I did a full scan on the receiver, but still the same - I can only see one of each.

I can do a manual scan if anyone has the info for what to put in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Those are Channels 30 and 33 from Three Rock. See page 4 here.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

Unless someone here has the same equipment, you will have to learn to navigate the menus. One important thing is to find out the signal strength/quality readings. That will allow you to peak the signal by moving the aerial.

Here is something from a quick Google about Sony TV's.

1. Digital setup
    On the remote commander, press OPTIONS.
    Scroll down to System Information. Confirm by pressing Enter. NOTES: ...
    A detailed System Information screen will appear. The signal quality / strength bars are displayed at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

Thanks for the info gents. The problem is that I’ve no idea to check where I’m picking the signal up from. I’ve a new Sony TV (Android) and an enigma 2 satellite receiver that has a terrestrial card in it as well.

Just as an example, this is what I can see on the receiver:
    RTE1: 546000 Band: 8Mhz
    RTE2: 570000 Band: 8Mhz

I’m not exactly sure how to add a station from a different transmitter (both Three Rock and Kippure are in the same general direction for me), should I see one from each? I did a full scan on the receiver, but still the same - I can only see one of each.

I can do a manual scan if anyone has the info for what to put in?

Generally in the installation stage you can choose auto or manual tuning, choose manual, you generally have a choice of frequency or channel, select channel and scan both channel numbers.

Advertisement