07-12-2020, 17:36   #31
decor58

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnado View Post
Thanks...and their iOS app doesn't have casting or Airplay either. When you add that to no HD on Saorview they really don't want anyone to watch them!
Oh but they do but on their subscription service, can any tv brand access the VM player. A Nowtv stick, with or without a sub, appears to be the only way outside of a subscription service to access their player. They are a commercial operation with the bare minimum of commitment to Saorview, why should they support any form of competition but given the potential add revenue from players is it not in their interest to have the player on every device possible.
Advertisement
08-12-2020, 21:02   #32
Gelectric

Quote:
RTE Player is available and works. Can't comment on Virgin Media Player as I haven't looked for it yet.

I set some scheduled recordings over the weekend. 1 from RTE and a few from Freesat and they all recorded fine to an 8 year old 500Gb HDD that I had spare. The recording interface and playback of the recordings is not as slick as the Humax software but it worked. The Freesat ones are setup as repeat records so I will see what happens when the next episodes come around.
Sounds great, I'm very much torn on whether to stick with the Samsung or go for a new Sony with freesat. I do like the idea of being able to flick between freesat and saorview easily (something that can't be done as quickly on a Samsung) and record off either. With regards to Rte and TG4 players can they just be downloaded from the play store on the TV? I'm presuming because I'm in the north they'll not be on the TV automatically.
09-12-2020, 09:11   #33
PFML84

Can someone with this TV confirm if the EPG can bu customised in any way? Can channels be renamed/reordered and in the EPG can you turn off the programme description appearing below the title?

If you have normal satellite channels (not on 28.2E) can they be displayed in the same screen as your DTT channels or do they all have separate guides? Thanks.
09-12-2020, 10:00   #34
JDxtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFML84 View Post
Can someone with this TV confirm if the EPG can bu customised in any way? Can channels be renamed/reordered and in the EPG can you turn off the programme description appearing below the title?

If you have normal satellite channels (not on 28.2E) can they be displayed in the same screen as your DTT channels or do they all have separate guides? Thanks.
With a Freesat EPG (which is a good thing for most users) - channels cannot be renamed or moved. Freesat and DTT will be seperate guides.

What you require can be done with an Enigma2 box. I've Saorview, 28.8E channels and other sat channels in one EPG, fully editable. You won't findt a TV with the same customization capabilities.
09-12-2020, 16:56   #35
PFML84

I currently am using one that does everything I've mentioned, a Hisense model. DSAT and DTT are in the one guide, and any non 28.2E channels actually carry 7 day EPG info, only 28.2E broadcasts are now/next. Channels can be renamed and reordered easily and the TV is a smart 4K one with USB recording. It's actually a fantastic TV.

I need a new TV for the living room and can't find anywhere selling another of that Hisense TV I'm currently using, hence me asking about the Sony. Might actually stick to Hisense and see about a slightly bigger TV in their newer models.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-12-2020, 18:52   #36
JDxtra

Sounds like its designed for use in mainland Europe. Try Amazon.de to see if they have something.
10-12-2020, 13:15   #37
PFML84

It has Freeview Play built in and a button for it on the remote so it seems to be a UK market TV.

If I could find it in a larger size even that would be ideal.
Thanks from:
04-01-2021, 12:41   #38
salnado

Quote:
It’s Definitely Freesat with full guide. Saorview is labelled Freeview and channels are not exactly typical order but all there and guide too. It is very easy to switch between the two tuners. I have a few recordings setup over the weekend and will let you know how they go.

Some pictures attached.
Quick follow up post after using for a month or so. TV is working very well and ease of use is excellent. My only gripe is that recording a series on Freesat does not work. When selecting record on a programme that is part of a series it offers you the option to record the series but all it does is record the first episode. Hopefully this will be fixed in later updates.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion