Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview on an Enigma2 box

• 10-11-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of Amiko Alien 2 boxes running Enigma2 images. Both have been using OpenATV 6.1 for the last few years, if I tried 6.2 or higher neither could find any Saorview channels when doing an automatic or manual scan.

I thought this was an openATV issue, but I recently tried PurE2 on one of the boxes and again no Saorview.

The second box is still on openATV 6.1 with working Saorview, so I tried copying the bouquets from it but that didn't help. The EPG populates, but no picture or sound. I also tried copying across the lamedb file (something I read to try when searching), but that was no help either.

What part of the Enigma2 image handles the terrestrial tuner? Would it be possible to copy those files from openATV 6.1 to a more recent image?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had to install the driver plugin for my DVB-T tuner on OpenATV and OpenPLi ...... is it possibly something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Its a common problem on all 6.2+ images. I haven't seen any solution to it and would be interested if you found one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Unfortunately not. I rolled back to OpenATV 6.1 as I don't have the patience for the trial and error at the moment.

I'm was considering having a dig around in the source code to compare 6.1 to 6.2, but ain't nobody got time for that!

I'd another look at it last night, and strangely when signal searching the AGC was up where it should be (the same as on 6.1), and there was a channel lock, but the SNR was 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What about later versions of OpenATV?
    6.4 seems to the the current version, is it not available for that box?

EDIT:

Now watching Saorview on following

Zgemma H.2S
    OpenATV 6.4.20201121 (2020-11-19)

with USB attached cheap tuner

Product: RTL2838UHIDIR
    Manufacturer: Realtek

• Advertisement

Any version after 6.1 that I've tried encounters the issue - including OpenATV and Pure2.

Its an internal tuner rather than a USB stick - its probably an Amiko Alien specific issue.

I thought switching to PurE2 might be easier for these boxes as they've have been annoying me since I got them ~4 years ago. They don't crash as much as they did when I got them first (using OpenVIX), but they often lock up and become unresponsive when powering on or off for some reason, meaning they have to be switched off at the back to reboot.

Is the Zgemma H7s the current recommended for Saorview/FTA as a replacement, or is there another box available/coming soon? Spec-wise it looks like an improvement but is it an old box at this stage likely to cause issues?

JazzyJ wrote: »
    its probably an Amiko Alien specific issue.
    I found a couple of threads on different forums with the same problem with a Sab box, it mightn't be just an Amiko problem.

I've noticed that when doing an automatic scan (for all of Ireland) it runs though channels 21-59, but skips channels 34, 35, 38, and 54. If I manually scan those channels nothing comes up either.

The Ireland sections of terrestrial.xml on 6.1 and 6.4 images are identical too.

Just an update on this - on a whim I installed the latest version of PurE2 6.5 and this works perfectly. Nice and fast too, far better IMO than the OpenATV 6.1 I had been running.

Advertisement