Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the satellite tuner on the Sony XH85 range any good?

• 22-11-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50

I have been using Freesat on a 32" Samsung for a number of years and works well.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 49/50" and looking at the Sony KD49XH9505 because of the various other capabilities (Homekit, Airplay, Chromecast etc...). This has 2 x sat inputs but I don't think it has a Freesat tuner. My question is, if it doesn't have Freesat tuner what is Sony's Sat tuner like...do you get any EPG..can you record series etc.?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

salnado wrote: »
    I have been using Freesat on a 32" Samsung for a number of years and works well.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 49/50" and looking at the Sony KD49XH9505 because of the various other capabilities (Homekit, Airplay, Chromecast etc...). This has 2 x sat inputs but I don't think it has a Freesat tuner. My question is, if it doesn't have Freesat tuner what is Sony's Sat tuner like...do you get any EPG..can you record series etc.?

Thanks in advance

If it doesn't have Freesat most likely to just get now and next, series link would be out but you could just set timed recordings, fairly reliable you just have to be conscious of program changes or overruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Thanks in advance

LG, Samsung and Panasonic are the only TVs that Freesat can be on

• Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

LG, Samsung and Panasonic are the only TVs that Freesat can be on

That's not correct. Some of the larger Sony's have Freesat tuners e.g. kd55xh9005

That's not correct. Some of the larger Sony's have Freesat tuners e.g. kd55xh9005

Apologies, Sony must of added Freesat to their 2020 models. Certainly for the last 5 years or so, only the 3 brands I listed earlier had Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

My Sony Bravia KDL-32W654A is connected dirrectly to the dish. Works perfectly! I have it for 5 years.

• Advertisement

My Sony Bravia KDL-32W654A is connected dirrectly to the dish. Works perfectly! I have it for 5 years.

Just curious, does the TV have Freesat , i.e. channels in order, full epg, etc, or did you have to reorder the channels, now and next epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

decor58 wrote: »
    Just curious, does the TV have Freesat , i.e. channels in order, full epg, etc, or did you have to reorder the channels, now and next epg.

To be honest I don't know. I just did full scan, and from the "digital channel list" grabbed my favourites. There are 4 folders to sort them out. In fact I just watch few channels.

decor58 wrote: »

It doesn't have Freesat, that's why I was looking for feedback on the tuner/EPG provided by Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It doesn't have Freesat, that's why I was looking for feedback on the tuner/EPG provided by Sony

If it doesn't have Freesat, it'll be difficult. I've used a Sony Android TV before with satellite and no Freesat and it was a horrible interface to tune and manage stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Get a Walker tv.

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »
    Get a Walker tv.

Rather than a Sony XH85, you can't be serious. Comparing a top of the range Sony TV to a budget brand is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

If it is like the older sony TV it only has now and next for the channel you are watching. You have to tune it if channels change. It does record but you have to set it manually. This can be an issue if a program you record changed time some days but this would only be a very few programs. On the model I have to sort the channels, you have to use a USB memory stick and download the channels on to it and then user a sony program on the computer to edit the channels. I tried this but I had to disconnect the hard drive I use for recording as you could not connect the memory stick with it connected. Even using another USB port. I then had trouble getting it to detect the Hard drive again. I then did not bother sorting the channels. This issue could be resolved in newer models. They are great TV's but I would get a freesat receiver as it will have a full guide and recording function and no re-tune needed for channel changes. Saorview has the full guide but no seires link but option to set programs daily, weekly, Monday-Friday etc.

A Samsung QLED (with Freesat) like this would be a better choice. Or, if still keen on the Sony then get a separate Freesat external box and use the Sony for any smart apps/casting and Saorview.

JDxtra wrote: »
    A Samsung QLED (with Freesat) like this would be a better choice. Or, if still keen on the Sony then get a separate Freesat external box and use the Sony for any smart apps/casting and Saorview.

Yes, was considering that one too, but it's €150 more expensive to get Freesat, but lose built-in Chromecast and possibly lose out on picture quality (depending on your opinion on Samsung vs Sony).

I already have a Humax box for the 32", 10 year old non-smart Sony that I want to replace...but there are people in the house who would like to avoid cables and second remotes so trying to keep everyone happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

Rather than a Sony XH85, you can't be serious. Comparing a top of the range Sony TV to a budget brand is laughable

i have a walker tv no problems works on satellite and saorview and internet comparing to sony its different but most of the tv's now made are made by some body else panasonic tv's are made in the same factory as walker tv s even the remote's are the same but u are buying the name like panasonic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you need things like series linking and therefore a 7 day EPG I would still recommend a combo box. In my experience TV software is obsolete even before it leaves the shop and seldom if ever updates. At least with a combo box you are more up to date. It should also be noted that Channel 4 HD and several other UK channels are available free on satellite but are not on FreeSat and need to be tuned manually. Likewise Irish stations are not free on the UK satellite. A combo box will allow you record Irish and UK at the same time from the same channel list, all with 7 day EPG and series linking. Many TVs require you to switch between satellite and terrestrial.

My question was to Alex Sky Doctor.

Apologies, Sony must of added Freesat to their 2020 models. Certainly for the last 5 years or so, only the 3 brands I listed earlier had Freesat

I went ahead and bought the KD49XH8505. Delivered yesterday and set it up (choosing UK as location). On initial setup only standard satellite tuner was available but then ran a software update and was pleasantly surprised to see a Freesat tuner appear with all the Freesat features. Sony don't mention Freesat in the release notes for this firmware update so not sure if this applies to other models too: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xh85xx_x85xxh_xh91xx-series/kd-49xh8505/downloads/00017076

Impressed so far with the TV, great picture and has all of Freesat, Chromecast, AirPlay, and Homekit.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

I went ahead and bought the KD49XH8505. Delivered yesterday and set it up (choosing UK as location). On initial setup only standard satellite tuner was available but then ran a software update and was pleasantly surprised to see a Freesat tuner appear with all the Freesat features. Sony don't mention Freesat in the release notes for this firmware update so not sure if this applies to other models too: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xh85xx_x85xxh_xh91xx-series/kd-49xh8505/downloads/00017076

Impressed so far with the TV, great picture and has all of Freesat, Chromecast, AirPlay, and Homekit.
    Just to confirm you have a full Freesat guide and presumably can schedule recordings on this?
    Presumably beacuse you have a UK setup you cannot have a saorview guide and schedule recordings on that?
    Good news that Freesat might be back with Sony

Looks like a number of Sony TVs are getting this Freesat update from 27th November
    https://www.simplyelectricals.co.uk/blog/sony-bravia-android-freesat-tvs-launch

• Advertisement

Dec4 wrote: »
    Just to confirm you have a full Freesat guide and presumably can schedule recordings on this?
    Presumably beacuse you have a UK setup you cannot have a saorview guide and schedule recordings on that?
    Good news that Freesat might be back with Sony

It’s Definitely Freesat with full guide. Saorview is labelled Freeview and channels are not exactly typical order but all there and guide too. It is very easy to switch between the two tuners. I have a few recordings setup over the weekend and will let you know how they go.

Some pictures attached.

It’s Definitely Freesat with full guide. Saorview is labelled Freeview and channels are not exactly typical order but all there and guide too. It is very easy to switch between the two tuners. I have a few recordings setup over the weekend and will let you know how they go.

Some pictures attached.
    Brilliant, thanks very much for the pics Salnado.
    Looks like my new TV will be a Sony:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Dec4 wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks very much for the pics Salnado.
    Looks like my new TV will be a Sony:)

I'd highly recommend it. I just got the x9296h (x9005h) and the interface is the best I've used. Pressing TV and down let's you flick between sources and you can also switch while in the EPG.

You can even change where the TV button takes you. I have mine set to launch straight into Freesat instead of the default 'Live TV & catch-up'.

Plus being Android TV you can even set up shortcuts using the button remapper app. It was worth the €4 to change the Google video button to YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gelectric

With regards to these TVs, can you get RTE player and Virgin Media player on them? I live in the North and am due to have a 55 inch Samsung Frame TV delivered on Thursday however now that I know these Sonys have got Freesat I may change my mind. Does the recording of Freesat channels work well? Thanks

Gelectric wrote: »
    With regards to these TVs, can you get RTE player and Virgin Media player on them? I live in the North and am due to have a 55 inch Samsung Frame TV delivered on Thursday however now that I know these Sonys have got Freesat I may change my mind. Does the recording of Freesat channels work well? Thanks

RTE Player is available and works. Can't comment on Virgin Media Player as I haven't looked for it yet.

I set some scheduled recordings over the weekend. 1 from RTE and a few from Freesat and they all recorded fine to an 8 year old 500Gb HDD that I had spare. The recording interface and playback of the recordings is not as slick as the Humax software but it worked. The Freesat ones are setup as repeat records so I will see what happens when the next episodes come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gelectric wrote: »

Virgin Media Player doesnt exist on Android TV. I've only ever seen it on a Now TV stick.

RTÉ and TG4 players are both on Android TV.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Virgin Media Player doesnt exist on Android TV. I've only ever seen it on a Now TV stick.

Thanks...and their iOS app doesn't have casting or Airplay either. When you add that to no HD on Saorview they really don't want anyone to watch them!

You should also get the Now TV app on the Sony - they are the only Android TV units with this app currently.

JDxtra wrote: »
    You should also get the Now TV app on the Sony - they are the only Android TV units with this app currently.

Yes, it's there...and when you register the TV there is an offer of one month free Sky Sports pass.

• Advertisement

Thanks...and their iOS app doesn't have casting or Airplay either. When you add that to no HD on Saorview they really don't want anyone to watch them!

Oh but they do but on their subscription service, can any tv brand access the VM player. A Nowtv stick, with or without a sub, appears to be the only way outside of a subscription service to access their player. They are a commercial operation with the bare minimum of commitment to Saorview, why should they support any form of competition but given the potential add revenue from players is it not in their interest to have the player on every device possible.

Advertisement