Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shock absorbers

• 12-09-2019 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Just had my 151 1.6 tdi octavia back from the NCT and it failed for leaks on the two front shocks and back left
    Obviously I need all 4 to be changed 😱
    Nct tester assured me this was a common fault with Octavia. Has anyone come across this ?

Ball park how much will it cost to fix all 4 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For a recognized brand, you’d be talking around €350 for the parts and maybe another €150 in labour, assuming you’re not paying top money for labour.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the main forum.

If the rears are fine I can see no reason to replace them yet.

Back left failed though, best to replace both back.

Kinda concerned now, I have a 151 Octavia going in for NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭oleard1987

Yeah always driven Octavia but this one seems to be nothing but trouble ,just hit 70km today and so far I the timing belt and water pump done and now the shocks
    Really thinking of ditching skoda

Why did you have the timing belt done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This is a sticky one and can depend on the tester to an extent. Those shocks are very very prone to misting, compared to other brands.

VAG specify that a misting of oil around the top of the shock where the piston enters the body is part of normal shock absorber operation and not only normal, but unavoidable. You'll get some testers who consider a little dampness around the top of the body to be a leaking shock, where really it is just operational, by VW's standards anyway and a fail for this might be textbook but it's a little unfair.

By VAG standards, the entire shock body has to be wet with oil or showing visual drips and runs to be considered leaking, this is obviously an NCT fail anyway but it isn't too popular to find them in this condition. It is really popular to find them "misted" though.

Either way, you've failed now so you're going to have to get them done I'd say. I know this site is Newzealandish but it gives good images of a misted shock vs a leaking shock.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/tb-general/shock-absorbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

What values does the test sheet show for the suspension test? The above example is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i have a 152 fabia and recent service noted ' leaking shocks'

on a 4 year old car ..that i carefully look after

this list is now
    1/ peeling laquer
    2/ broken handbrake handle
    3/ broken drivers door internal handle ( a blatant safety issue )
    4/ leaky shocks ( it passed its first nct a few weeks ago however )

pure and utter ****e is what skoda are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dont matter with the nct as we had a honda civic fail on drivers front shock leaking and imbalance 6% so we washed it down and no sign of leakage and put back in for retest.Failed on shocks as they wanted new ones.
    We have another nct fail on rear shocks on a hyundai accent think its 2008 so its rear shocks needed.
    We had a 3 year old clio in to check for noise in front suspension and when up in the air both front shocks were dripping oil out at the bottom so no wonder it was doing a noddy impression and the mileage was 1800 km and not covered under warranty+ needing 2 drop links.

colm_mcm wrote: »

The coolant temperature was going sky high and constantly overheating (another common fault)so while he was doing the water pump he done the timing belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I've seen waterpumps go in these and golfs at around that mileage, well before the timing belt interval but better to get belt done at the same time.

Anyway for shocks on these i'd recommend monroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Is there anyway to clean any misting prior to a test as a preventive fail?

Is there anyway to clean any misting prior to a test as a preventive fail?

My thoughts exactly!

Blast them with brake cleaner, then give the arch a good rinse out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Two things to bare in mind here though, OP's shocks could be genuinely leaking, we dont know and it's hard enough to get lads working on them to make a good judgement call, never mind seeing it filter down to NCT's.

I dont know if it's how they specify them to be built or how they want them to feel but VAG products seem much more susceptible to this than other manufacturers. I know they dont make their own shocks but they obviously have a say in what way they want them produced.

This like looks like a very old version of a VW workshop manual.

http://www.vwgolf.org/leaks_at_shock_absorbers-1838.html

Well just had my 1st quote in from a skoda main dealer in Cork city and they are looking for €768 euro inc Vat
    Considering i can get 4 shocks for €315 euro ,nearly 400 for labour

Doesn't sound dear for dealer rate labour. An hours or so per corner.

It doesn't really warranty bringing to a dealer though, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I got 2 monroe shocks last week for the rear of an 07 Octavia for €74.

Do mind pm'ing where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Monroe - wouldn't touch with a stick, especially at Irish labour rates.

KYB, Sachs or Bilstein - shocks from those brands only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭CoBo55

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I've seen waterpumps go in these and golfs at around that mileage, well before the timing belt interval but better to get belt done at the same time.

Anyway for shocks on these i'd recommend monroe.
    I thought they were recalled or goodwill offered for that water pump issue.

grogi wrote: »
    Monroe - wouldn't touch with a stick, especially at Irish labour rates.

KYB, Sachs or Bilstein - shocks from those brands only.
    Why?

Monroe are a great shock imo. I know someone who has been fitting them with years and they have never had to have one returned.

Kyb in my experience are ok but i'd put monroe ahead of them as you get an extra year warranty with monroe and I think they are better quality tbh.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I thought they were recalled or goodwill offered for that water pump issue.

Maybe they did, I don't know tbh. The cars i've seen it go on were fairly fresh at the time, only two to three years old.

So have inquired to 7 garages and received a response back from two

The Skoda garage at €768 and another brand mechanic at €450 including VAT
    PRICE BREAKDOWN

Pair of front shocks €190
    pair of rear shocks €120
    Labor (2 hours) €140

seems very good to me ,Have one last shot to get it lower as a friend of friend works at a motor factory and might be able to source them cheaper and a Skoda tech who works at Skoda garage above might do a favor

Try and find out what brand they are fitting.

Try and find out what brand they are fitting.

just to see what type or if they are a crap brand ?

Yes. Cheapest isn’t always best for you.

Yes. Cheapest isn’t always best for you.

just reached out to see hat type of shocks they use and will let you know :)

• Advertisement

The OE are Sachs but maybe they're best avoided given the situation :pac:

Advertisement