Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have Volkswagen been caught again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have to hand it to them. They’re sneaky.

Didn’t see that coming at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I suppose it makes sense. Sure the EA288 was well into production and on the roads before the EA189 scandal came out, so why wouldn't it be cut from a similar cloth?

The only thing you have to wonder is, if the car was able to reduce it's emissions further by using more adblue in a given scenario, why would that be turned down for real world driving? Just to reduce adblue consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

At this stage, it'd be inclined to say they should make the testing more real world to avoid this nonsense.

I think that's what WLTP did?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And we all wonder why nox emissions around the M50 are 50 times the recommended safe limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

mickdw wrote: »
    At this stage, it'd be inclined to say they should make the testing more real world to avoid this nonsense.

As in the application of actual randomised scientific testing exposing 20 years of bull****. I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

listermint wrote: »
    And we all wonder why nox emissions around the M50 are 50 times the recommended safe limits.

Is there a source for this? So called "safe" limits for NO2 (according to the EPA) is 40 micrograms per cubic metre. Nowhere can I find that the M50 has been tested at 2000 micrograms per cubic metre at any time....

In any case, if VW are cheating again then they should be fined and made fix the problem like they were last time. Perhaps this is why they are pushing their EV future so hard now.

To be fair, their fixing of the issue in Europe was a joke compared to what they had to do in the US.

The issue here is the stupid rules and regulations they are being forced to meet. Relax then back to what they should be and the need for all this would disappear along with getting rid of a lot of complicated systems from engines.

Apt username :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

listermint wrote: »

Maybe it's to do with all those fields full of PCP returned diesel cars that nobody can shift? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The only thing you have to wonder is, if the car was able to reduce it's emissions further by using more adblue in a given scenario, why would that be turned down for real world driving? Just to reduce adblue consumption?

I think the US has some regulation as to how much AdBlue can be used, or what distance you have to get from a tank of AdBlue.

Could probably cut emissions massively by dumping a huge amount of pig pi$$ in to the exhaust, but at the expense of having to fill up that tank every time you fill the fuel tank as well, rather than getting 8,000km + per tank of AdBlue.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I think the US has some regulation as to how much AdBlue can be used, or what distance you have to get from a tank of AdBlue.

Could probably cut emissions massively by dumping a huge amount of pig pi$$ in to the exhaust, but at the expense of having to fill up that tank every time you fill the fuel tank as well, rather than getting 8,000km + per tank of AdBlue.

Makes sense, but that's absolutely nuts. Why would you insist on a low consumption requirement on something contributing to potentially better air quality. It's not like its pricey stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Makes sense, but that's absolutely nuts. Why would you insist on a low consumption requirement on something contributing to potentially better air quality. It's not like its pricey stuff.

To minimise the number of people who find ways of running without it, I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

The issue here is the stupid rules and regulations they are being forced to meet. Relax then back to what they should be and the need for all this would disappear along with getting rid of a lot of complicated systems from engines.

I was wondering where John Gormley had gotten to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HailSatan wrote: »
    I was wondering where John Gormley had gotten to.

They have moved on to telling people to spend €80k putting insulation and heat pumps in to their homes along with wood burning stoves to kill off their neighbours.

wood burning stoves to kill off their neighbours.

Are the greens still at that? I know it was briefly all the rage environmentally and I've heard some planning permission departments are still living in those days, but I thought the particulate matter would be widely recognised by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are the greens still at that? I know it was briefly all the rage environmentally and I've heard some planning permission departments are still living in those days, but I thought the particulate matter would be widely recognised by now.

Yes recently watched Eco Eye, it was not only promoted as great but the home got 50% or so grant to approve it. The house was located in a densly populated area of Dublin 13.

It’s well documented in London that the rise in popularity of wood burning stoves has effectively cancelled out the benefits of the LEZ in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

wally79 wrote: »

They haven’t finished paying for the last scandal. If this pans out it will be a big blow to their future

Somehow I don't think it will...99% of people simply don't care so long as their cars drive as they're supposed to and don't break down.

• Advertisement

Yes recently watched Eco Eye, it was not only promoted as great but the home got 50% or so grant to approve it. The house was located in a densly populated area of Dublin 13.

Eco eye was Duncan Stewart about 20 years ago right? Or is there an up to date version?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair, their fixing of the issue in Europe was a joke compared to what they had to do in the US.

isnt that because they were within the euro nox limits without the fix ?
    the fix was to meet californias more stringent requirements

or did i dream that (quite possible !)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Could end up being a non issue as no one has YET appeared to have produced real world emissions info on the cars.

Imo if they are messing again - then this should be reflected in real world Nox levels that are out of line point

Old diesel wrote: »
    Could end up being a non issue as no one has YET appeared to have produced real world emissions info on the cars.

The whole diesel gate thing was a conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

TBH it's all a load of ****e. People want to drive. Engines are broadly the same. People like to make drama to discuss. Rinse and repeat.

TBH it's all a load of ****e. People want to drive. Engines are broadly the same. People like to make drama to discuss. Rinse and repeat.

Wait, if they're all so similar why was diesel so glorious in 2008 Mr Ryan? Do you mind if I call you Eamonn?

isnt that because they were within the euro nox limits without the fix ?
    the fix was to meet californias more stringent requirements

or did i dream that (quite possible !)

More like the Germans have huge influence in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Germans are Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Rules are to protect environment and humans. If they cannot meet them, they should not try to work around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Wait, if they're all so similar why was diesel so glorious in 2008 Mr Ryan? Do you mind if I call you Eamonn?

Hilarious.

Advertisement