Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Archery Backstops

Options
  • 16-04-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Anyone who is serious about archery should make themselves a decent backstop.

For long-term archery targets you want one that can absorb arrows again and again. Not only should it be easy to remove arrows from the backstop / target, but the arrows should be undamaged as well.

From my own knowledge hard-wood / plywood is not wiseunless you

That's where soft material comes in.

Bales of hay, straw or earth are ideal. Also worthy of note are carpet and unwanted foam insulation.

Stack up your materials about six feet high by twelve feet across. Go more than this if you can spare the materials.

Behind your soft materials consider a harder backstop to prevent any penetrators from going too far beyond the bales.

Carpet can be packed into a wooden frame and stacked up piece by piece, making a near-infinite durability for arrow shooting.

Don't forget to waterproof your bales / carpet or the weather could end up ruining it.

In true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I built earlier...:cool:

It cost me $3 per bale of straw and the other materials were scavanged from nearby locations.

How about you lot? Have you built your archery backstop yet? icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

image.jpg
    How about a big lump of granite?!! It does concentrate the mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Booshka! That is pure stomper material!

More intel to follow, just getting a video cut together... :)

Advertisement