Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get an item delivered to Northern Ireland? Parcel Motel?

• 04-10-2019 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

There's this company I'm trying to order from but they only ship within the UK.

So, NI is possible.

How would this be done typically?

I understand Parcel Motel run such a service but, I've never used them.

I was thinking a post box or something but, I'm sure P.M. would be fine.

On the finer details however - any pointers?

Anyone done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

All the time - Parcel Motel is fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Diziet wrote: »
    All the time - Parcel Motel is fine.

I went on their website, but couldn't find locations;

https://parcelmotel.com/locations/

Just getting blank page there?

So what you're saying is, you do what I'm proposing - all the time?
    Order UK deliverable items only to NI, then collect them through PM?

Are there any alternatives to parcel motel - just so I know all my options?

There's PM lockers in every city?
    Cause it'd be hella easier for me to go to Enniskillen than Belfast;

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Address pal has a UK address as some won't ship to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

I went on their website, but couldn't find locations;

https://parcelmotel.com/locations/

Just getting blank page there?

So what you're saying is, you do what I'm proposing - all the time?

Are there any alternatives to parcel motel - just so I know all my options?

There's PM lockers in every city?
    Cause it'd be hella easier for me to go to Enniskillen than Belfast;

Parcel motel re-deliver it to a locker near you, costs €4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I've used Parcel Motel often when buying online from UK where the seller either didn't shop to RoI or the shipping cost to RoI was much greater than to a NI or UK mainland address (which was often free).

Provided whatever you're getting is within their size limits it's a great service. They can take oversized packets but you would need to check the cost vs other delivery options.

You can get the parcel shipped to the parcel motel depot in Newtownabbey and they forward it to your nominated locker. There's a parcel motel locker location on almost every town in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I use address pal, find it great.

I've used Parcel Motel often when buying online from UK where the seller either didn't shop to RoI or the shipping cost to RoI was much greater than to a NI or UK mainland address (which was often free).

Provided whatever you're getting is within their size limits it's a great service. They can take oversized packets but you would need to check the cost vs other delivery options.

Nah it's not a big parcel.

In terms of redirection to my actual locality instead of having to hike up north - how's is that done with P.M.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

In terms of redirection to my actual locality instead of having to hike up north - how's is that done with P.M.?

You setup an account, pick your local PM, it all happens automatically after that, you get a text when it’s arrive with a code to go collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The largest Parcel Motel locker size is 41 × 38 × 64 cm. The maximum weight is 10 kgs.

If it's over this they'll contact you to make alternative arrangements using their parcel motel xl service
    https://parcelmotel.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005045169-Parcel-Motel-XL
    It's charged by weight or dimensional weight and arrangements can be made to collect it from one of their depots
    https://parcelmotel.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003494669-Parcel-Motel-XL-Depots-Opening-Hours-
    or for home delivery.

If it's oversize you might want to check what the full shipping cost (including any Parcel Motel charges) before ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

As a user of Parcel Motel, you select the nearest PARCEL MOTEL LOCKER location to either your home/work,

Get item delivered to the NI location, item/s are sent to Dublin and transit to your location, can take up to 24 hrs to recevie item, after it s delivered to the NI site,

• Advertisement

Getting items that ship exclusively to US;

Does PM handle that?

I see An Post address-pal does but, it also charges a princely fee to do so.

Do I have an option to do this with parcel-motel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Getting items that ship exclusively to US;

Does PM handle that?

I see An Post address-pal does but, it also charges a princely fee to do so.

Do I have an option to do this with parcel-motel?

Not with Parcel Motel.

Not being smart but their website explains what they do, and how to use them, very clearly.

Keep in mind that items from the US, irrespective of AddressPal or other couriers, may be subject to customs charges for duty and VAT before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

There's this company I'm trying to order from but they only ship within the UK.

So, NI is possible.

How would this be done typically?

I understand Parcel Motel run such a service but, I've never used them.

I was thinking a post box or something but, I'm sure P.M. would be fine.

On the finer details however - any pointers?

Anyone done this?

Have you looked at the Parcel Motel website?

Treppen wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Parcel Motel website?

Yes.

There was no mention of american routing.

So - that leaves me with addresspal exclusively?

Or other american post routing services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

How will parcel motel work with import taxes (especially VAT) if the proposed deal with Amazon goes through and there is a customs border set up between UK & NI?

Hopefully they will set up an english language version of amazon from within the EU. Had hoped to buy a set of echo buds when they go on sale from Amazon.co.uk, but looks like I will have to wait until an EU amazon gets them in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Fian wrote: »
    Hopefully they will set up an english language version of amazon from within the EU. Had hoped to buy a set of echo buds when they go on sale from Amazon.co.uk, but looks like I will have to wait until an EU amazon gets them in now.

Amazon.de have an English option, but delivery is often expensive. Ive used some of the other European sites with the help of google translate

Advertisement