Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to Stockpile ahead of Brexit?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

BBC2 has a new series now, which is enlightening about the sources of food supplies in Britain: What Britain Buys and Sells in a Day
    First episode was yesterday - about fruit and veg. No big revelations; of course we already knew that avocadoes don't grow over there !
    They had on a potato supplier who export to Ireland as he says his spuds are perfect for chippies.
    For those with iPlayer:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008zkk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

otnomart wrote: »
    No big revelations; of course we already knew that avocadoes don't grow over there !
    They had on a potato supplier who export to Ireland as he says his spuds are perfect for chippies.
    while they do not shout about it there is no secret that many chippers here do get potatoes from the UK. I think the soil is better suited to growing maris pipers which are the most recommended potato you see for chipper type chips.

However the best chipper chips I have had in years have been from 1 branch of the Romayos chain of chippers, this is not like Macaris, it is the same crowd who own all of them. Their potatoes are Irish, grown in Flynns farm in Rush, so I would actually look foward to chippers changing to whatever they are using.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Has anyone mentioned the galaxy sized loophole where something like cheese or chicken (or anything) can be labeled Irish or British, as long as it’s packaged here?
    It can be from absolutely anywhere but if it’s packaged here it can be labeled Irish

How’s that gonna work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

Has anyone mentioned the galaxy sized loophole where something like cheese or chicken (or anything) can be labeled Irish or British, as long as it’s packaged here?
    It can be from absolutely anywhere but if it’s packaged here it can be labeled Irish

How’s that gonna work?

Can you link to anywhere regulations say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,989 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I just got my six month supply of contact lenses from the UK, which were about 2/3rds of the price of Irish suppliers. What happens next time round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

rock22 wrote: »
    Can you link to anywhere regulations say this?
    You can search yourself
    It is not compulsory for supermarkets to carry a country of origin on any other produce unless its absence would mislead the consumer.
    For example, in a chicken ready meal the chicken may not be Irish but it is okay to say ‘product of Ireland’, if the production / ‘substantive transformation’ took place here.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2012/1210/357761-spotting-irish-own-brand-products-this-christmas/

I just got my six month supply of contact lenses from the UK, which were about 2/3rds of the price of Irish suppliers. What happens next time round?
    There is a rumour that the continentals use contact lenses too

zell12 wrote: »
    There is a rumour that the continentals use contact lenses too
    Does the rumour have details of the prices they pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Got months supply of medication tablets in local pharmacy. Was told there is a shortage on these as they come from UK.
    Pharmacist didn't know why . It may not be brexit related.

Got months supply of medication tablets in local pharmacy. Was told there is a shortage on these as they come from UK.
    Pharmacist didn't know why . It may not be brexit related.
    Is it Valsartan aka Diovan? If so, there has been a worldwide shortage over the past year due to quality issues in the one factory in India that makes the active ingredient for the whole world.

• Advertisement

Most people expect Brexit to lead to price rises for food and drink
    1000 survey respondents:
    around a quarter of respondents expect rents to rise
    majority expect Brexit to lead to an economic decline in the North
    62% expecting an increase in food and drink prices
    45% expect an increase in crime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Id guess if brexit happens small retailers will still use it as excuse to hike some prices straight away, reality is Ireland has been preparing more then UK did in last years overall, most major importers increased their warehouse storage to 3-4 weeks worth.

dont expect massive shortage in bread and some other daily stuff, but if it happens there could be few delays in between, but even at that id imagine there will be some grace period to continue trade until alternative providers are sourced, as far as essentials go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

It won’t be the small retailers, the big lads will do it with gusto!

Advertisement