Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Tiguan airbag error

Options
  • 14-09-2019 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

So not having a good week, someone scraped along the front of my 191 Tiguan last weekend (no details left at scene...i hope they die a long and painful death)...so had it in for body repair over the past couple of days and picked it up yesterday evening. First class job done on the paintwork but when I went to start it this morning an air bag error message popped up. I presume this was because the bumper had to be removed?

I'll get in contact with the body repair place on Monday but was curious to see is this a simple error message that can be cleared by something like an OBD reader or does it need to go to VW? Would a body repair shop have equipment to clear such a message and if not any idea how much VW might charge to remove the error?

Thanks

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

How bad was the damage, do you know the bumper was definitely removed and not repaired in place?

If the bumper was removed it could be possible something like a crash sensor wasnt plugged back in correctly and the body shop just need to retrace their steps, it can happen. I think those Tiguans have the pyrotechnic bonnet hinges too so maybe an issue there. Most bodyshops would have basic enough scan tools, enough to read and erase generic faults.

If the body shop say they repaired the bumper in situ then it's probably just an unlucky coincidence and you can take it back to VW under warranty.

I wouldn't panic just yet either way, pain in arse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Thanks for the reply, the car that hit me scraped along the front corner so no impact as such just paintwork damage.

The bumper was definitely removed so as you say a sensor not connected or the airbag sensor needs to be reset after being disconnected.

Thanks

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Could be loose wire going to the Passenger Seat or driver seats had airbags on come on a rented vw because I moved the seat all the way back badly fitted from the factory I guess look under seats for loose wires

Advertisement