Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pedestrian right of way

Options
  • 14-09-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

So.. Am i going crazy or was this guy completely out of line? And i know, i wasnt in a hurry so shouldn't be obsessing but still..

I walked up to a junction of a small one-way street(road of lesser importance) and stood at a sunken pavement (yellow kerb with raised dots)

The main road was also one way and it was clear. There were 4 cars at the yield sign with a 5th approaching waiting to continue straight through this junction and along the road i was crossing.

See attached

First car went. Second slowed at the yield and went through, knowing junction was clear of traffic . After the 2nd car the 3rd car was approaching the yield sign. i took maybe three big steps which got me across the street, close to the footpath . The Third car decided he had the right of way. He wasnt speeding and he was nowhere near to hitting me but blew me out of it. I stopped in my tracks (short of the footpath) to stare him down and he stopped the car. So i opened his passenger door and he as much as gave out to me for walking in front of him. I said I've every right to cross a road and he has no right to swing out in front of me and he'd be in trouble if he did it again.
    He said "what would you do".. Well obviously "call the guards" was the right answer but being put on the spot i didn't say something so sensible.

Roads weren't busy.. The road he was travelling on came to a stop sign 50m ahead. I can understand the first car going but for another 2 to follow, and not accidentally either, just quick enough to prevent a pedestrian from crossing safely seems nuts.

I did my driving test in Australia and for the theory part many questions dealt with right of way issues for pedestrian at junctions. Having driven on L plates in ireland i actually failed my theory test first time over there because of the pedestrian right of way questions (i didnt study!) . Maybe we're not as strict here, though I'd expect if you have a "yield" sign that you'll yield to all road users whether another motorist, pedestrian, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

antix80 wrote: »
    So i opened his passenger door.

You were in the wrong for doing this. If that was me driving I would think that you were going to attack me. The driver could have reacted very bad with you ending up getting injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

So i opened his passenger door .

This was a stupid thing to do. I'd have taken that as aggressive and have called the Gardai on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You were in the wrong for doing this. If that was me driving I would think that you were going to attack me. The driver could have reacted very bad with you ending up getting injured.

I was about to say same....I drive with my doors locked anyway, but I always leave space between me and car infront.... If someone were to try and open the door, I can't guarantee I wouldn't drive.... If they got hit, tough!!

To answer question, technically I think a pedestrian has the right of way. But hollow victory if car doesn't see you /stop in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Separate issue.
    Besides he's the one who pulled over. Was hardly going to talk through a closed window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You were technically in the right in my view however you blew all that away the second you opened his door. Regardless of whether his window was closed or not. Not everything on the road is a discussion, he didn't hit you but honked his horn so in that case I think the best thing to have done was to just walk on.
    It was probably the first time this happened to you but I can guarantee you it won't be the last unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Yea should have walked on. I wasn't going to walk out in front of a northern reg bmw doing 100kph but in my view i could have (and did) cross without anyone having to brake and without inconveniencing anyone. And he didn't honk, he leaned on the horn. Well.. Yea moving on, will try to avoid the agro in future.

Separate issue.
    Besides he's the one who pulled over. Was hardly going to talk through a closed window.

Zero need to engage. Just walk on and continue with your day.

Some people beep their horn at the slightest thing. If this is your reaction while walking, please don't get behind a wheel.

Oh i drive dont worry

From the Rules of the Road; (Pg 205, pdf)

Uncontrolled crossing places
    Generally uncontrolled crossing places (courtesy crossings) are designated shared areas of road. They are coloured, slightly raised or patterned cobbled sections of road, and drivers should be aware of the potential dangers of pedestrians approaching or crossing on them.

It is also important to point out that pedestrians do not have an automatic right of way when using these crossings. Pedestrians need to be alert and aware that traffic may suddenly approach from either direction.

Pedestrians
    Pedestrians should only enter uncontrolled crossing places (courtesy crossing) ensuring that all traffic is aware of their presence if crossing the road.

Motorists
    Motorists entering uncontrolled crossing places (courtesy crossing) should react by driving very slowly, aware of the potential dangers of pedestrians using the area.

If he was moving from a stationary position and you had already started to cross the road, then you did have a right of way. But from what you're describing, he was already moving when you decided to start crossing, you also were sauntering across, - so, interpret that as you wish.

Sounds to me like there was a pair of you in it.

Oh i drive dont worry

Well that's comforting :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pedestrians have right of way where there are no pedestrian lights - you where at what sounds like a pedestrian crossing. Isn't it something like, if the pedestrian is already crossing when you arrive then they have right of way?
    It's only jaywalking/illegal if they cross at a red man or within 15 feet(?) of a crossing.

From page 124 of the Rules of the Road
    Vehicles do not have an automatic right of way on the road. The overriding rule is, in all circumstances, to proceed with caution.
    You must always yield to:
    pedestrians already crossing at a junction;
    pedestrians on a zebra crossing;
    pedestrians on a pelican crossing when the amber light is flashing;
    and pedestrians and traffic when you are moving off from a stationary position (for example from your position at a stop sign or a parking space).

To avoid doubt and in the interest of road safety, a vehicle should always yield to pedestrians.

I was crossing HERE once and took the yellow dots and dip as an invitation to cross...but it's a busy roundabout and people don't indicate when they are coming off...so when I finally saw space to cross because someone was not indicating that he was coming off he beeped and gesticulated at me because how dare I cross the road in front of him at a crossing that I'd been standing at for what felt like a lifetime when he was not indicating that he was going that way and it looked like the way was clear...
    All roads on this roundabout are hard to cross for pedestrians because so many people don't know how to use them and don't indicate where they are coming off...

Pedestrians have right of way where there are no pedestrian lights - you where at what sounds like a pedestrian crossing. Isn't it something like, if the pedestrian is already crossing when you arrive then they have right of way?
    It's only jaywalking/illegal if they cross at a red man or within 15 feet(?) of a crossing.

From page 124 of the Rules of the Road

Page 205 of the Rules of the Road (pdf version) on uncontrolled crossings says differently. This is how things get confusing.

Advertisement