Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jackc101 wrote: »
    Sorry for the slow reply, I was catching up on all the good stuff within the thread, especially the new concepts in the boards plan, which I'll follow. Copied off some of the stuff on strides / hills / recovery that's new by comparison to the HH1 plan

Plan is silly slow running every second day till this Sunday and start the boards plan on schedule. The body is feeling good and no niggles

What are the odds of getting an entry on the 1st of July? :o

I'm very conscious of the fact that you are only 2.5 weeks removed from the Cork marathon. I'd be very wary of doing too much too soon and I'd lean towards keeping next week very easy too - maybe start the plan but skip the Wednesday run? It's far better to be over-cautious with post marathon recovery, especially after your first.

It's hard to predict what the level of demand will be on July 1st. They have 2,500 spots, plus whatever returns there are. I can't see it selling out instantly, but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'm very conscious of the fact that you are only 2.5 weeks removed from the Cork marathon. I'd be very wary of doing too much too soon and I'd lean towards keeping next week very easy too - maybe start the plan but skip the Wednesday run? It's far better to be over-cautious with post marathon recovery, especially after your first.

It's hard to predict what the level of demand will be on July 1st. They have 2,500 spots, plus whatever returns there are. I can't see it selling out instantly, but you never know!

Duly noted, I'll drop the Wednesday. That should keep things nice and easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

So sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it. But am just thinking ahead for Wed.

I would love to complete DCM in 4:30 but think more realistically I would be 4.40. The calculator that was posted a few posts back, the more accurate one for novices, places me at 4:48. That's fine by me for now.

For now is that what I should work my PMP on? Putting that into a pace calculator says that I would be going at 6mins 49 per km. Even though that seems a bit slow for PMP, do I go with that for now and adjust accordingly as I improve race times?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    So sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it. But am just thinking ahead for Wed.

I would love to complete DCM in 4:30 but think more realistically I would be 4.40. The calculator that was posted a few posts back, the more accurate one for novices, places me at 4:48. That's fine by me for now.

For now is that what I should work my PMP on? Putting that into a pace calculator says that I would be going at 6mins 49 per km. Even though that seems a bit slow for PMP, do I go with that for now and adjust accordingly as I improve race times?

Thank you

You should train to current fitness, not goal fitness. I know it seems like you should be trying out the PMP you want, but if that's not where you're at fitness-wise currently, then you'll end up putting too much into any PMP runs and won't be recovering enough for subsequent runs.

Is the PMP of 6.49/km based on a recent race time? If so, then absolutely use that as your current PMP for any runs, and if you have more races lined up throughout training, then yes, that can absolutely change as we get closer to DCM.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You should train to current fitness, not goal fitness. I know it seems like you should be trying out the PMP you want, but if that's not where you're at fitness-wise currently, then you'll end up putting too much into any PMP runs and won't be recovering enough for subsequent runs.

Is the PMP of 6.49/km based on a recent race time? If so, then absolutely use that as your current PMP for any runs, and if you have more races lined up throughout training, then yes, that can absolutely change as we get closer to DCM.

Thanks ReeReeG. Yes, the 6.49 is based on a predicted time of 4:48, which was predicted using the 57.xx 10km I did in Feb and a 2:10:xx I did in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Did DCM last year but didn't train for it (4:47). Have signed up again with the intention of properly training with a goal of getting home in under 4 hours. Turning 30 two weeks after DCM so never a better time to try it!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k 23:34 – March 23rd (Parkrun)
    10k 49:25 – April 14th (Great Ireland Run)
    Marathon 4:47:xx – DCM 2018

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Can do 10k without a break. Haven't gone beyond that since DCM but feel like I could comfortably keep going at the right pace. Time will tell

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 times a week. 10k x 3 + Parkrun Saturdays (with a 2.5k warm up and cool down either side)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Reckon sub 4 is achievable. 3:30 would be the dream but reckon DCM19 may be too soon for that.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Realistically I can trian 5/6 days a week with the right motivation

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Will I be able to keep up the training (I run on my own a lot which can lead to a lack of motivation)

Why are you running this marathon?
    Ran, walked, jogged DCM last year and loved it. The atmosphere was unreal. Felt amazing finishing it. Want to prove I can train properly for a marathon and complete it in under 4 hours.

Loving following this thread.

Little update on my training (or lack thereof :o) as of late.

Only gotten out a few times this month. I got married at the start of the month and we're finalising buying a house so that's my excuse. :P

Will be doing the boards plan but will be on honeymoon from weeks 2-4 so training may take a hit.

I'll be getting out a bit while away and hope to take in San Francisco Parkrun on the 4th of July weekend. :)

I feel like I've a decent enough base that hopefully when I come back from the honeymoon I won't be too long getting back up to speed.

Will consider setting up a training log when I get back.

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Question for anyone how might be reading and has already done the full distance before.
    How much training at MP or faster did you do?
    In my mind, it makes sense that the long runs in particular should be at MP so it becomes second nature though most place online advocate maybe MP+30 or so.
    Seems to me that the majority of training particularly nearer race day should be at MP or maybe a bit quicker for the shorter runs as a pace change upwards on race day might be upsetting to your established rhythm, does that make sense? Interested in how others felt on race day when comparing it to their training paces.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Loving following this thread.

Little update on my training (or lack thereof :o) as of late.

Only gotten out a few times this month. I got married at the start of the month and we're finalising buying a house so that's my excuse. :P

Will be doing the boards plan but will be on honeymoon from weeks 2-4 so training may take a hit.

I'll be getting out a bit while away and hope to take in San Francisco Parkrun on the 4th of July weekend. :)

I feel like I've a decent enough base that hopefully when I come back from the honeymoon I won't be too long getting back up to speed.

Will consider setting up a training log when I get back.

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations on the wedding.. You're certainly cramming a lot into 2019! Do what you can while away, and as I mentioned on Strava, slow it down!

Glad you brought up the subject of training logs - I know one or two of the novices have one already, and it's something I'd thoroughly recommend. I set mine up after DCM last year, but I wish I'd started earlier. For anyone that doesn't know, there's a Training Logs sub forum here: https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1139. Basically each thread is someone's log.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Congratulations on the wedding.. You're certainly cramming a lot into 2019! Do what you can while away, and as I mentioned on Strava, slow it down!

Glad you brought up the subject of training logs - I know one or two of the novices have one already, and it's something I'd thoroughly recommend. I set mine up after DCM last year, but I wish I'd started earlier. For anyone that doesn't know, there's a Training Logs sub forum here: https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1139. Basically each thread is someone's log.

Cheers! You're right, I think slowing down will be the first challenge! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

+1 to this.

I started my log about this time last year, just as I begun training for my first marathon.
    Starting up a log is not only a great way of recording your training but it's also really useful to look back on to see just how much progress you have made.
    Also, when updating your log, try to be as honest as possible, you'll learn from your mistakes much easier! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Supercell wrote: »
    Question for anyone how might be reading and has already done the full distance before.
    In my mind, it makes sense that the long runs in particular should be at MP so it becomes second nature though most place online advocate maybe MP+30 or so.
    Seems to me that the majority of training particularly nearer race day should be at MP or maybe a bit quicker for the shorter runs as a pace change upwards on race day might be upsetting to your established rhythm, does that make sense? Interested in how others felt on race day when comparing it to their training paces.

What plan are you going to follow? IMO it doesn't matter what you intuitively think feels right, unless you follow the plan (designed by people with far more experience than us), you won't get the best out of it and are far more likely to just end up injured.

I followed the boards plan last year, which featured a midweek MP run most weeks. My total MP mileage was 50 miles out of a total of 520 miles, across 18 weeks. I did zero miles at faster than race pace. My long run was MP + 80 seconds, my easy runs were MP + 60 seconds. On the day, following the recommended three week taper, my legs were fresh and able for the MP.

The first challenge in a marathon (as you have experienced) is getting to the start line. If you do too much in training your body will break down and you won't make the start.

Running, and in particular the marathon, is an aerobic activity. You build your aerobic engine by running lots and lots of easy miles. ariana' brought up my 5k time last week, and it's a useful example. I recently raced a 5k in a 21:08 PB, which is 6:47/mile. I didn't achieve that by running 5k pace everyday of the week - 90% of my weekly miles are done at 10:20/mile or slower, but the pace was there on the day. The same applies to the marathon. It does take a change of mindset for most novices, but lots and lots of easy miles is the only way.

Have a read of passinginterest and frash's posts in this thread yesterday to see what happens when you run too fast in training.

Food for thought, thanks very much juke and Mr. Guappa. Very interesting to see how you felt on the race day and how you incorporated race pace into your training Mr Guppa, sounds like a solid plan, MP+80 is very disciplined training I have to say.
    Given my dodgy knees I'm definitely looking to limit speed work for now, so one faster/ish run a week seems like a reasonable compromise (I'd rather run full tilt every day as you know!).
    My plan is to start off with the Novice plan until I get back to where my fitness was earlier in the year, depending on knees and then probably transfer over to the Boards plan at some point or somewhere in between. I won't be doing three days in a row though as I know my knees won't take that but overall mileages should amount to the same.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

Food for thought, thanks very much juke and Mr. Guappa. Very interesting to see how you felt on the race day and how you incorporated race pace into your training Mr Guppa, sounds like a solid plan, MP+80 is very disciplined training I have to say.
    Given my dodgy knees I'm definitely looking to limit speed work for now, so one faster/ish run a week seems like a reasonable compromise (I'd rather run full tilt every day as you know!).
    My plan is to start off with the Novice plan until I get back to where my fitness was earlier in the year, depending on knees and then probably transfer over to the Boards plan at some point or somewhere in between. I won't be doing three days in a row though as I know my knees won't take that but overall mileages should amount to the same.
    Considering your still a Novice you would be well advised to stick with the Novice Plan IMO otherwise you'll be back here nest year opening your post "This will be my 4th attempt.........." Your learning the hard way and I'd say it's not much fun, for yourself and those looking on from Strava. Heed the advice been offered here, you might not run the time you want to run this year but with good disciplined training you and your knees might be around next year in better shape to achieve your target

Okay I'm going to start a log, starting this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well happy to say i ran my 3 easy miles today at 10min miles, it was difficult enough & really had to concentrate on that pace but i really enjoyed it & its all now starting to make sense :D

Well happy to say i ran my 3 easy miles today at 10min miles, it was difficult enough & really had to concentrate on that pace but i really enjoyed it & its all now starting to make sense :D

I was delighted to see that earlier... well done! Keep at it and that pace will become second nature in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    This week will be:
    • Monday: 5-10Km easy
    • Tuesday: 5Km easy
    • Wednesday: Rest, not even going to commute on the bike
    • Thursday: Docklands 5Km, run like hell :D
    • Friday: Rest
    • Saturday: Parkrun plus some more as part of a LSR
    • Sunday: Junior Parkrun

Thus far...
    • Monday: 11Km easy, bumped in to a friend who was also out running so maintained my easy pace and did slightly longer than expected with them in tow.
    • Tuesday: No Kms. Sniffles and head cold set in early on Tuesday morning :(
    • Wednesday: Rested as planned, used public transport for work instead of bike. Head/chest cold in full flow.
    • Thursday: See below
    • Friday: Rest - will be resting as planned.
    • Saturday: Parkrun plus some more as part of a LSR - TBD, will see how body feels
    • Sunday: Junior Parkrun - TBD as well, though will probably go ahead with it

Docklands 5Km:

Well organised event, will be back next year. One suggestion is to have some more pacers in between the 20/25/30 minute marks but not a big deal tbh.

Had been suffering with a head/chest cold for a little over 48 hours prior to this kicking off, really poor timing for this to happen but it's the joys of having young kids (germ petri dishes). Got a bit of a warmup in, light activation for quads/flutes/calves/hips. There were pacers for 20 minutes or 25 minutes, my previous 5Km PB is around mid 22 so I was unsure how far back to the 25 minute pacers I should've started.

1st Km - About 20 seconds too quick for the first Km and even then, that's being conservative.
    2nd Km - Felt good during this, good pacing but breathing started to get heavy and HR elevated a good bit towards the end.
    3rd Km - Started to slow my pace a little towards the end of this Km and my respiratory system was working over time but not at full capacity either.
    4th Km - Slowed down a little here on purpose and got my HR to dip a little though probably too much. Slowest of the all Kms.
    5th Km - Picked up the pace a little compared to the 4th and was content to get home with a 2nd best 5Km time ever of 22:50 according to Strava (total event time a few seconds over the 23 min mark).

Disappointed not to get a 5Km PB as I've got a few hundred more Km in the legs since my 5Km PB. Not sure if it was realistic given the health issues this week but I played the hand I was dealt and got on with it. Had hoped that this would set up my training times going forward but not convinced it portrays my fitness levels as they are. Still going to aim for 6 min/Km for easy and 6:30 min/Km for LSR, am open to correction on that and want to be realistic moving forward and not fool myself.

Unsure if I should rest up on Saturday and skip the LSR if I'm still feeling poorly.

Feedback/thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I followed the boards plan last year, which featured a midweek MP run most weeks. My total MP mileage was 50 miles out of a total of 520 miles, across 18 weeks. I did zero miles at faster than race pace. My long run was MP + 80 seconds, my easy runs were MP + 60 seconds. On the day, following the recommended three week taper, my legs were fresh and able for the MP.

The first challenge in a marathon (as you have experienced) is getting to the start line. If you do too much in training your body will break down and you won't make the start.

Running, and in particular the marathon, is an aerobic activity. You build your aerobic engine by running lots and lots of easy miles. ariana' brought up my 5k time last week, and it's a useful example. I recently raced a 5k in a 21:08 PB, which is 6:47/mile. I didn't achieve that by running 5k pace everyday of the week - 90% of my weekly miles are done at 10:20/mile or slower, but the pace was there on the day. The same applies to the marathon. It does take a change of mindset for most novices, but lots and lots of easy miles is the only way.

Have a read of passinginterest and frash's posts in this thread yesterday to see what happens when you run too fast in training.

I can't believe after all the successful years of this thread that anyone can doubt both the advice given by learned coaches and experienced runners who helped us all achieve our goals. For centuries people intuitively believed the Earth was flat yet never managed to fall off it's edge. Building endurance is not intuitive, it's science and physiologically based. Doubt it and prepare to run great 10ks, 10 miles, half marathons, maybe even reach mile 20 of the marathon but then the crash and burn will happen. Why does Icarus spring to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Hey all,
    Not a novice as I did DCM last year but although trained and stuck to a plan I probably didnt train sensibly (esp with regard training paces). I came across the 2018 thread a few weeks before the big day and spent many nights reading posts that would cause panic and also calmed me down a bit!!! Anyway after saying never again after last year I'm back for another go. So although not a novice there's loads to learn from everyone here that I'd love to tap into over coming months.
    Cheers
    (......total boards.ie novice btw!!!!!)

• Advertisement

KGC wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Not a novice as I did DCM last year but although trained and stuck to a plan I probably didnt train sensibly (esp with regard training paces). I came across the 2018 thread a few weeks before the big day and spent many nights reading posts that would cause panic and also calmed me down a bit!!! Anyway after saying never again after last year I'm back for another go. So although not a novice there's loads to learn from everyone here that I'd love to tap into over coming months.
    Cheers
    (......total boards.ie novice btw!!!!!)

Welcome along KGC! When you get a chance, take a look at the questions in the first post of this thread, and give us an idea of where you stand at the moment.

py wrote: »
    Thus far...
    • Monday: 11Km easy, bumped in to a friend who was also out running so maintained my easy pace and did slightly longer than expected with them in tow.
    • Tuesday: No Kms. Sniffles and head cold set in early on Tuesday morning :(
    • Wednesday: Rested as planned, used public transport for work instead of bike. Head/chest cold in full flow.
    • Thursday: See below
    • Friday: Rest - will be resting as planned.
    • Saturday: Parkrun plus some more as part of a LSR - TBD, will see how body feels
    • Sunday: Junior Parkrun - TBD as well, though will probably go ahead with it

Docklands 5Km:

Well organised event, will be back next year. One suggestion is to have some more pacers in between the 20/25/30 minute marks but not a big deal tbh.

Had been suffering with a head/chest cold for a little over 48 hours prior to this kicking off, really poor timing for this to happen but it's the joys of having young kids (germ petri dishes). Got a bit of a warmup in, light activation for quads/flutes/calves/hips. There were pacers for 20 minutes or 25 minutes, my previous 5Km PB is around mid 22 so I was unsure how far back to the 25 minute pacers I should've started.

1st Km - About 20 seconds too quick for the first Km and even then, that's being conservative.
    2nd Km - Felt good during this, good pacing but breathing started to get heavy and HR elevated a good bit towards the end.
    3rd Km - Started to slow my pace a little towards the end of this Km and my respiratory system was working over time but not at full capacity either.
    4th Km - Slowed down a little here on purpose and got my HR to dip a little though probably too much. Slowest of the all Kms.
    5th Km - Picked up the pace a little compared to the 4th and was content to get home with a 2nd best 5Km time ever of 22:50 according to Strava (total event time a few seconds over the 23 min mark).

Disappointed not to get a 5Km PB as I've got a few hundred more Km in the legs since my 5Km PB. Not sure if it was realistic given the health issues this week but I played the hand I was dealt and got on with it. Had hoped that this would set up my training times going forward but not convinced it portrays my fitness levels as they are. Still going to aim for 6 min/Km for easy and 6:30 min/Km for LSR, am open to correction on that and want to be realistic moving forward and not fool myself.

Unsure if I should rest up on Saturday and skip the LSR if I'm still feeling poorly.

Feedback/thoughts welcome.

Well done tonight, 5k's are hard going at the best of times, never mind when you're not at 100%.

Those paces look about right for now, maybe 6:10 for the easy. There's no such thing as 10 seconds too slow when it comes to easy pace.

See how you feel come Saturday, but yes, skip the LSR if you're really under the weather, and if you feel ok to head out, be prepared to cut it short if it's feeling like too much. Just be honest with yourself though.

Welcome along KGC! When you get a chance, take a look at the questions in the first post of this thread, and give us an idea of where you stand at the moment.

Haven't done 5 or 10k race for a few years but from what I can remember
    5k - 23:50, back in 2015 i think
    10k - 49:00, 2015 again
    Half Marathon - 1:54, 2016
    DCM 2018 - 4:38

No, so far so good

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4 times a week for the last 10 weeks, ranging from 15 to 22 miles per week. One day gym/swim

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Goals in order. 1_Finish injury free 2_Finish without having to take walk breaks 3_Improve last years time 4_under 4:30

Plan is to do 4 day a week using Hal Higdon Novice plan as a template, 3 "short" and one long per week, but extending it to 20 weeks (into week two already). Hoping to do mileage slightly above whats in the HH plan

Injury as usual. Worry that not doing enough or doing the wrong things. Also hope to have the same motivation second time round.

The experience of the day last year was so good that I quickly forgot about how bloody hard it was. And also I feel as if i can do better and more importantly prepare for it better. Still feel like a total novice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi All,
    Bit disillusioned at the minute. Training was going really well until i went on holidays at the start of June. Only got in one run of about 5 mile. Came back and got a few training runs in and felt it was coming back on track then i had to travel for work this week.

I brought the training gear and used the threadmill in the gym, always run on the road. Found it really hard to adapt. I ran 4 miles on Monday and tried it again Wednesday but gave up after 2 miles as it just felt weird and the heat in the gym was something else.

I am signed up for the Waterford 1/2 tomorrow but i am going to drop back to the 1/4 even at that i am worried how i will be as my training has really dipped.

Hopefully it goes ok and sets me up to start the plan next week. I think once i have a plan to follow and stick to it i swill be grand i have just found the last few weeks a real struggle.

Apologies its not much of a question more of a rant! :)

Thanks

KGC wrote: »

Haven't done 5 or 10k race for a few years but from what I can remember
    5k - 23:50, back in 2015 i think
    10k - 49:00, 2015 again
    Half Marathon - 1:54, 2016
    DCM 2018 - 4:38

No, so far so good

4 times a week for the last 10 weeks, ranging from 15 to 22 miles per week. One day gym/swim

Goals in order. 1_Finish injury free 2_Finish without having to take walk breaks 3_Improve last years time 4_under 4:30

Plan is to do 4 day a week using Hal Higdon Novice plan as a template, 3 "short" and one long per week, but extending it to 20 weeks (into week two already). Hoping to do mileage slightly above whats in the HH plan

Injury as usual. Worry that not doing enough or doing the wrong things. Also hope to have the same motivation second time round.

The experience of the day last year was so good that I quickly forgot about how bloody hard it was. And also I feel as if i can do better and more importantly prepare for it better. Still feel like a total novice!!!!

Hi KGC! I'm guessing you have no more recent race times? Any chance you'd get out to a parkrun tomorrow to see where you're at currently, and give a good idea of what appropriate training times might be?

Great that you've decided on a plan, any reason in particular why you extended it to 20 weeks? Holidays coming up? Just be careful with adding on mileage, maybe run the planned miles by people here each week in advance - that way, we can all have a think and make sure you're not going to overdo it any week!

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Bit disillusioned at the minute. Training was going really well until i went on holidays at the start of June. Only got in one run of about 5 mile. Came back and got a few training runs in and felt it was coming back on track then i had to travel for work this week.

I brought the training gear and used the threadmill in the gym, always run on the road. Found it really hard to adapt. I ran 4 miles on Monday and tried it again Wednesday but gave up after 2 miles as it just felt weird and the heat in the gym was something else.

I am signed up for the Waterford 1/2 tomorrow but i am going to drop back to the 1/4 even at that i am worried how i will be as my training has really dipped.

Hopefully it goes ok and sets me up to start the plan next week. I think once i have a plan to follow and stick to it i swill be grand i have just found the last few weeks a real struggle.

Thanks

Dropping back to the 1/4 is a good move. Maybe treat it as a training run and keep the pace easy, at least to start? Especially if the weather is going to be warm.

Treadmill running can be tough going, I use it as a last resort in storms or whatever, and even then I'm looking out the window going "ah shur tis grand!" I always find the effort levels higher on the treadmill too. Will work trips be a regular thing, and if so will it be possible to find local routes to run when your away? Strava has some useful features that show you popular local routes.

You're not in an ideal position heading into the plan, but you're not too badly placed either. Having a plan to follow should help, but also try and remember your motivations for doing this. I had very similar reasons for getting into running (good example for the kids) and it's really rewarding to see how my running helps shape their outlook in a positive way. Nowadays I just run because I love it, but initially I had lots of false starts and lapses l, but it was worth sticking with. Following the DCM plan last year really helped establish running as a routine for me. At the start of the week I mentally plan when and where I'll do each run - Tuesday after work, Wednesday lunch time, Thursday first thing, etc and then I just get out and do it.

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks

I'm not one for the treadmill either, though I have one, its almost never used, something about running and getting nowhere just bores the pants off me.

I've been injured and lost my fitness completely many times over the years (for various reasons) and getting back into the swing of it again always sucks.
    It's always a slog getting back from zero or close to it but it does get better, usually by the time i can do a 10k comfortably it all clicks and even the tough runs become more mentally comfortable and rewarding if that makes sense?

Having a plan really helps too, and running on the days you really don't want to is where you earn mental brownie points, the feeling of doing something even when you didn't want to is great (afterwards!).
    Stick at it.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hi KGC! I'm guessing you have no more recent race times? Any chance you'd get out to a parkrun tomorrow to see where you're at currently, and give a good idea of what appropriate training times might be?

Great that you've decided on a plan, any reason in particular why you extended it to 20 weeks? Holidays coming up? Just be careful with adding on mileage, maybe run the planned miles by people here each week in advance - that way, we can all have a think and make sure you're not going to overdo it any week!

The time of my local parkrun has never suited, unfortunately. 5k at the moment would be 26 - 27 mins.
    Extended it to 20 weeks to take account of a holiday. Did the same last year at the beginning of September . Would run 5 times while away (warm weather training!!!!!) with reduced distances (10 mile max). When I said additional mileage, it would only be an extra mile or two on some of the short runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Just trying to see which plan is the best fit, for the Boards plan can someone outline what additional time above race pace you add per km for easy, lsr and recovery? Thanks.

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Just trying to see which plan is the best fit, for the Boards plan can someone outline what additional time above race pace you add per km for easy, lsr and recovery? Thanks.

Hey ANXIOUS, the best way to check for yourself is to plug a recent race time into the mcmillan calculator (https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/#calculator-input). It will bring you to the race pace page first, but click the tab below that for Training Paces, which will show the recommended easy, lsr and recovery paces based on your current fitness.

Advertisement