Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Seal went on one of the plates on the in plate cooler during washing. Cut myself bad. Like a scene from a horror movie. Hateful cnut of a job

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Hate that job

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Hate that job

Milk recording too, just to make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Any of ye adjusting the dry cow period to account for gestation length? Gonna dry off a row 2moro but looking at the calving pattern in feb may be as well to do two rows, cows are going in fulltime 2moro will leave the dries out to soak up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    Any of ye adjusting the dry cow period to account for gestation length? Gonna dry off a row 2moro but looking at the calving pattern in feb may be as well to do two rows, cows are going in fulltime 2moro will leave the dries out to soak up
    Nothing dry here bar 1 till dec 7 fully dry 22/12 .id be comfortable to due date minus a week ,

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Nothing dry here bar 1 till dec 7 fully dry 22/12 .id be comfortable to due date minus a week ,

When's your first one due and your last one due? First one due here Jan 28. Last one may 2.

A few other variables here as well in that testing in Dec so if any go down that'd be freshly dried I'd get caught with meat withdrawal and also as switching to spring have a share of cows at 370 days in milk as well.
    Should have 84% calved by March 20 but of the ones after that only 5 would milk on well so thinking best bet would be to dry off before Xmas if I go clear.

01 feb first due date ,last 10/4 .using cephaguard and sealer .cephaguard has 35 day withdrawal and cows go straight to tank on third milking

Did sensitivity test here and cepravin was recommended . Sealers only came in yday, only got enough for 30 cows, ordered with 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

01 feb first due date ,last 10/4 .using cephaguard and sealer .cephaguard has 35 day withdrawal and cows go straight to tank on third milking

Can’t bate a drop of Beistings on the ole cornflakes.

Sacrolyte wrote: »

Can’t bate a drop of Beistings on the ole cornflakes.
    Passed all tests zero issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Any problems with using cephagaurd and quality assurance in ireland this year . Not allowed use it under red tractor in the UK now

trixi2011 wrote: »

Any problems with using cephagaurd and quality assurance in ireland this year . Not allowed use it under red tractor in the UK now
    None I know of ,bought it last week and have used it for last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Big clamp down on 4th generation drugs in the UK . Got caught out badly with ceprivin this spring so was hoping to go back to 35 day tube not many available with new rules

Big clamp down on 4th generation drugs in the UK . Got caught out badly with ceprivin this spring so was hoping to go back to 35 day tube not many available with new rules
    Ubro red is simillar I think then orbenin extra is 42 days I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Do you know why?

alps wrote: »
    Do you know why?

More of a chance of resistance to 4th gen drugs I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Same here.

We’d 180mm last weekend so cows out to grass from Monday next.
    First grass since July...

As I was walking through the cubicles this morning there was a cow left there while the rest were being milked. Big hassle to get her in...turns out she had twins in Aug and was a bit thin, so I suggested to milk her once a day without saying for how long...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Some posts have been moved to the Kerry Share Conversion thread as it's a more appropriate thread.
    Available here.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

What's the highest cover ye would carryover the winter?. Wettish paddock but good access

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's the highest cover ye would carryover the winter?. Wettish paddock but good access

I got a few of them paddocks and the aim is to strip graze with calves whenever I can, be it mid Jan or so, growth still powering on now so an 800 cover could be 1400 mid Jan and if ground conditions good then I'll graze, it didn't get wet wet till late Feb here last yr and there were big covers on wet ground that I couldn't graze until may then. It's all a movable feast here, I'll graze when I can, the maidens are what I usually use to graze the winter but I do remember letting the milking cows graze one of the wettest heaviest paddocks here on 22nd Jan 2yrs ago!

It's cow's would be best to clean this off tbh. I'll chance leaving it till spring and shir twill be a lesson learnt if not suitable.

Cows still out day and night. They are in the silage ground during the day. Took an hour to get them home this evening. Full as ticks. Will probably go in on Friday. Mad year

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I do think derogation will be done away with in Ireland, but it will be closer to 10 years time than 5. And we may have a a limit closer to 130kgs N than 170.
    While it may be a bad thing for farmers, we will have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Does anyone know a general cost for putting in a Slatted tank from digging to building walls to putting on slats..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Cows still out day and night. They are in the silage ground during the day. Took an hour to get them home this evening. Full as ticks. Will probably go in on Friday. Mad year

Milkers are in two weeks. Ground in good order just ran out of grass. Everything in bar weanlings grazing reseeded ground. Selling calves as soon as possible and have a couple of culls to shift next week. Not going to carry the same stock as last year.
    I'm tired after the year I have to say.

Cow's in today, freshly dried batch outside to soak up. Dried all cows due before Feb 14, suited matching cubicle space to milkers and dries as well. Cepravin and boviseal. Will have calves out hopefully for another few weeks everything else will be in by midweek bar a couple of cull cow's and the bulls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An interesting link, Jersey cows have a different feeding behaviour to Holstein cows, spreading their feeding out more during the day and chewing the cud more.

https://hoards.com/article-24392-jersey-cows-eat-differently.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

An interesting link, Jersey cows have a different feeding behaviour to Holstein cows, spreading their feeding out more during the day and chewing the cud more.

https://hoards.com/article-24392-jersey-cows-eat-differently.html

Completely unscientific but we had a handful of jex and they never stop eating. First into parlour for meal and first out to paddock for grass. And when bulling they lose the run of themselves all together very easy to detect. I've grown fond of the little feckers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement