Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

yewtree wrote: »
    Why bother if you don't need it, surely it's just another headache looking for that kind of money. On a energy basis it's not worth 45 euro, . That feed is working out at 20 cent a kg of dm you will have to hope lads are very badly stuck to pay that

ya, was thinking the same,would you not leave it to somebody that was actually needed it, without you trying to get something out of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

jaymla627 wrote: »
    I’d reckon so, if not will buy in 40-50 continental weanlings if their cheap and carry them for the winter, should be a good twist out of them selling in April/may for the grass

Have ypu shed space for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have ypu shed space for them?

Yeah have a shed for them, rubber slats and all so no bedding needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Yeah have a shed for them, rubber slats and all so no bedding needed

I like the cut of your jib, Jay.
    Exactly the way I’d work. Always a few quid to be turned...

Bank holiday here so no staff until Monday...and I’m away on Sunday.

Anyhow, I’d merchants on to me a few weeks back looking for thousands of tons of fodder. No problem, but then it rained and they dropped it like a hot shyte...back on again today to book thousands of tons again. Reminds me of dairy farmers buying straw...

I lack patience for bolloxing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyhow, I’d merchants on to me a few weeks back looking for thousands of tons of fodder. No problem, but then it rained and they dropped it like a hot shyte...back on again today to book thousands of tons again. Reminds me of dairy farmers buying straw...

Non refundable deposit

What would transport work out at per ton landed in Ireland at a Irish yard from yours would 35 euro a ton cover it

Mooooo wrote: »
    Non refundable deposit

Price has risen...
    Spoke to a fodder merchant there now, and it seems that the Germans, Danes and Swedes are now fishing this little pond.
    I’m told that there’s nothing available in the UK.
    The man I spoke to has 8ha under sheds that are full of fodder. He reckons that he’ll be sold out by mid sept.
    I’ve a few wraps of Lucerne available. 23.1%pr, 61%dm and average 830kg. I’d take €100/bale ex yard.

‘The first of the soup is always the hottest’...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Price has risen...
    Spoke to a fodder merchant there now, and it seems that the Germans, Danes and Swedes are now fishing this little pond.
    I’m told that there’s nothing available in the UK.
    The man I spoke to has 8ha under sheds that are full of fodder. He reckons that he’ll be sold out by mid sept.
    I’ve a few wraps of Lucerne available. 23.1%pr, 61%dm and average 830kg. I’d take €100/bale ex yard.

‘The first of the soup is always the hottest’...

There was a crowd on facebook wanting 240€ a bale for bales half those weights

What would transport work out at per ton landed in Ireland at a Irish yard from yours would 35 euro a ton cover it

€2300-3000 for a back load depending on the transport company.
    Doesn’t be long getting expensive...

• Advertisement

There was a crowd on facebook wanting 240€ a bale for bales half those weights

I’m not greedy.
    That’s what I’d get if sold here.

@ €100/bale + transport, say 40 bales/load = €175/bale. Pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Did they allow GLAS scheme farmers to cut the old lay thats suppose to be left for wildlife after because of the shortage of fodder?

I’m not greedy.
    That’s what I’d get if sold here.

@ €100/bale + transport, say 40 bales/load = €175/bale. Pricey?

500kgs of dm, 35c/kg ? What way would that be fed. I assume it's ideal for mixing with maize? Is it tough on diet feeders beon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭visatorro

I like the cut of your jib, Jay. Exactly the way I’d work. Always a few quid to be turned...

Older generation here says you'd always want a bay empty and plenty of feed. You'd never know when there's a bargain coming

• Registered Users Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I’d reckon so, if not will buy in 40-50 continental weanlings if their cheap and carry them for the winter, should be a good twist out of them selling in April/may for the grass

I came acriss 16 acres of grass today myself. 4 acres nearly ready to cut. Might cut it in 2 weeks and let it up again and cut the whole lot at end of sept

Reggie. wrote: »
    I came acriss 16 acres of grass today myself. 4 acres nearly ready to cut. Might cut it in 2 weeks and let it up again and cut the whole lot at end of sept

Was over finishing up the accounts for 17 with accountant and ended up selling 100 bales to him, hobby farmer with a few sucklers was nice to have the shoe on the other foot for once when discussing money

For scanning when are ye doing it.? Pulled bull 24th July, was thinking to leave scanning till mid Sept so hopefully any losses etc may have happened by then. As an aside first cold morning we've had here in months, dunno what temp it is but with the wind could have done with the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

For scanning when are ye doing it.? Pulled bull 24th July, was thinking to leave scanning till mid Sept so hopefully any losses etc may have happened by then. As an aside first cold morning we've had here in months, dunno what temp it is but with the wind could have done with the jacket.
    I was grand. Had a lie on. Last one until end of autumn calving I'd say. Have a heifer springing will calve in the next day or 2. A bit earlier than expected but the milk will be welcome. Bull came out here 1st of August and going to scan 1st of Sept

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was grand. Had a lie on. Last one until end of autumn calving I'd say. Have a heifer springing will calve in the next day or 2. A bit earlier than expected but the milk will be welcome. Bull came out here 1st of August and going to scan 1st of Sept

My first time having no aut calving this year. Don't actually remember a Christmas sleeping in. Will see how scanning and tb testing goes might this year!

First autumn calver calved this morning. Set of dead fr bull twins. Not due for a couple of weeks. Big enough all the same. Had another set of twins yesterday in the sucklers. All good there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

First autumn calver calved this morning. Set of dead fr bull twins. Not due for a couple of weeks. Big enough all the same. Had another set of twins yesterday in the sucklers. All good there.

Jaysus after the year we’ve put down so far it’d be hard face back into calving and calfcrearing again

Sorry to hear, hopefully any illwind will go out the gate with them for rest of the season

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Jaysus after the year we’ve put down so far it’d be hard face back into calving and calfcrearing again

Was saying that yesterday when I was tagging yesterday's twins

500kgs of dm, 35c/kg ? What way would that be fed. I assume it's ideal for mixing with maize? Is it tough on diet feeders beon?

It would have to be put through a feeder. Adds to any forage.
    Easy as any other forage on the feeder. Bales are already chopped with 32 wraps of plastic.

Forage has gotten scarce here. The Germans are taking it by the train load.
    Two trains today, two more on Saturday and one on Tuesday. That’s a lot of fodder....

If the backend doesn’t come kind for ye there could be trouble...

Pretty pathetic reasoning by the farmer journal trying to dress up the 150k loss by greenfields, going by their reasoning their still a profitable enterprise once you don’t have to pay back capital repayments/wages /land rental....
    Almost seems like they reckon we should place no value on our own labor/asset value of land if rented/and any capital investment paid back on loans should be seen as “profit” to help bolster the fantasy land profit monitor figures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Pretty pathetic reasoning by the farmer journal trying to dress up the 150k loss by greenfields, going by their reasoning their still a profitable enterprise once you don’t have to pay back capital repayments/wages /land rental....
    Almost seems like they reckon we should place no value on our own labor/asset value of land if rented/and any capital investment paid back on loans should be seen as “profit” to help bolster the fantasy land profit monitor figures

Full agreement from me on that,they can dress up figures whatever way they want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My first time having no aut calving this year. Don't actually remember a Christmas sleeping in. Will see how scanning and tb testing goes might this year!

Are you gonna turn off the parlour over dec/Jan? Ditched all the autumn calvers here 2yrs ago and zero regrets, but fair few april/may calvers and it definitely still pays to milk on the 2or 3rows into Feb. I certainly take my lie in then tho, rarely bother starting before 9am, 2 rows done in 20mins ha.

It would have to be put through a feeder. Adds to any forage.
    Easy as any other forage on the feeder. Bales are already chopped with 32 wraps of plastic.

Don't put silage bales here thru feeder, old keenan paddle, only likes pit silage really. Most lads in our group are sorted. Have sourced or pitted wholecrop etc and some getting westerwolds. Others ok but worried beet would be too far back in yield.
    Walking farm later on will hope to make more bales this week, pit 20 acres of lighter stuff the first of sept, as a slight change in rain would run the risk of not getting in there any later, and 25 acres more will be pitted mid Sept. Maize could nearly be coming in the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Forage has gotten scarce here. The Germans are taking it by the train load. Two trains today, two more on Saturday and one on Tuesday. That’s a lot of fodder....

If the backend doesn’t come kind for ye there could be trouble...

Hopefully get this storm this weekend. Have ordered 120 tonne of crimp wheat /maize meal mix. Gonna pump that into my autumn ladies. Should keep milk yields high and drop silage usage considerably. I'll cull a few more cows and hopefully get a good backend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement