Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

So the warriors won again.I lost intrest in this series after game 2.I am a fan of the nba but I feel this win for the warriors doesn't do a whole lot to gather more intrest in the league.It was so predictable again this year that the warriors would win,.The rockets Wer great in regular season but we're always gonna lose to warriors in playoffs,same can be said of the raptors who inevitably choked again.Personally I found March madness a lot more entertaining

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Paully D wrote: »

Thats beyond sad, i was wondering how long before a injury was reported

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Warriors 8-1 in The Finals since adding Durant. The league and Players Association really blew it with how they handled the salary cap increase, creating the fluke Durant situation. This all feels so artificial and just doesn’t give the NBA Finals the drama it deserves.

And Lebron was the MVP. Everyone knows it. But because it was a sweep there's no way they could give it to him. Maybe if the Cavs took it to 5 or 6 he might have gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

irishman86 wrote: »

Beyond sad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Beyond sad?

I haven’t seen the interview where he said it so it’s hard to give a proper opinion but it does look like he is trying to make this about him, just let the warriors have their moment, they just stamped their place in history with a dynasty.
    It feels like his ego is hurt after being swept.
    For a man with a broken hand, he seemed to have to problem dunking the last few games.....just saying

Who cares anyway, go dubs

NufcNavan wrote: »
    And Lebron was the MVP. Everyone knows it. But because it was a sweep there's no way they could give it to him. Maybe if the Cavs took it to 5 or 6 he might have gotten it.

I wouldnt even be close to giving it to him. Durant and Curry were both ahead of him, the difference they wanted to win the King wanted everyone to say how great he was with a weak supporting cast.

I haven’t seen the interview where he said it so it’s hard to give a proper opinion but it does look like he is trying to make this about him, just let the warriors have their moment, they just stamped their place in history with a dynasty.
    It feels like his ego is hurt after being swept.
    For a man with a broken hand, he seemed to have to problem dunking the last few games.....just saying

Who cares anyway, go dubs

Had no problem with his 200 highfives before the game either

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I must say re: LeBron, he is an excellent role model.

Never acting the bollocks out partying, never up to no good with other girls, never in trouble, looks after himself off the court, a proper family man and has paid for hundreds upon hundreds of kids to go to college.

It’s one part of his character that does seem to be completely overlooked, probably because he has been squeaky clean for so long, but when you see the antics of some other superstar athletes you have to give him credit.

I wouldnt even be close to giving it to him. Durant and Curry were both ahead of him, the difference they wanted to win the King wanted everyone to say how great he was with a weak supporting cast.

To be honest, I think the Warriors wouldn’t care if LeBron got it. There is a reason the Larry OBrien trophy is bigger than the Bill Russel trophy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Never acting the bollocks out partying, never up to no good with other girls, never in trouble, looks after himself off the court, a proper family man and has paid for hundreds upon hundreds of kids to go to college.

It’s one part of his character that does seem to be completely overlooked, probably because he has been squeaky clean for so long, but when you see the antics of some other superstar athletes you have to give him credit.

Nobody deserves any credit for being a good father, not cheating on your wife etc.

Just because he doesn't do a whole load of bad **** doesn't mean he ( or any one else) deserves credit for not being a scumbag.

No famous person deserves any credit for being an OK sort of person as 90% of the average joe's in life are like that as well.

Joe Dog wrote: »

Nobody deserves any credit for being a good father, not cheating on your wife etc.

Just because he doesn't do a whole load of bad **** doesn't mean he ( or any one else) deserves credit for not being a scumbag.

No famous person deserves any credit for being an OK sort of person as 90% of the average joe's in life are like that as well.

That’s a little negative, the point he is also making is that LeBron has been in the limelight and a star most of his life, he could of easily went the route of so many stars that had access to so much fame and money so young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

That’s a little negative, the point he is also making is that LeBron has been in the limelight and a star most of his life, he could of easily went the route of so many stars that had access to so much fame and money so young

But most of the top quality sports stars like Lebron are fairly squeaky clean off the field you don't hear of Federer,Nadal,Messi,McIlroy,Spieth etc having much off the field issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Joe Dog wrote: »
    But most of the top quality sports stars like Lebron are fairly squeaky clean off the field you don't hear of Federer,Nadal,Messi,McIlroy,Spieth etc having much off the field issues.

LeBron came from a completely different enviroment than the names you mentioned though.

Not to delve too much into the subject but growing up in a black, single parent household in America is a world away from where most top athletes come from(even in the NBA, contrary to what most think). He deserves credit for being a decent person because a good portion of people with his background are not exactly role models.

For what it's worth I think he's a total egomaniac; Old LeBron congratulating young LeBron for being great, for example, but that's a different story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The fact of it is, that was The Team That LeBron built, if (I'd be leaning towards yes) he leaves, that franchise is in ruins for the next 3-5 years, such is the state of their roster. They threw money at the players he wanted around him.

If you're a GM, do you really want any of the following, if you're the Cavs front office do you want to be paying luxury tax for this roster without LeBron?

Kevin Love - age 30 (2018/19) $24,119,025 (2019/20) $25,595,700
    George Hill - age 32 (2018/19) $19,000,000 (2019/20) $18,000,000
    Tristan Thompson - age 27 (2018/19) $17,469,565 (2019/20) $18,539,130
    JR Smith - age 33 (2018/19) $14,720,000 (2019/20) $15,680,000
    Jordan Clarkson - age 26 (2018/19) $12,500,000 (2019/20) $13,437,500
    Kyle Korver - age 37 (2018/19) $7,560,000 (2019/20) $7,500,000

For me, assuming health, Boston and Philly to be the big dogs in the East for the next five years. LeBron can go where he wants - Houston seems to be the favourite, but they'd have to give up so much of their depth to accommodate him. I would hate to see him go to Philly, I think it'd hinder the development of the rest of the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If LeBron leaves then I'd imagine they'll clear out and tank for a bit. Interested in seeing where Love goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Seriously?

Monster Game 1 yes, but outplayed in every other game.

This type of fanboy comment really doesn’t help the conversation at all.

Seriously?

Monster Game 1 yes, but outplayed in every other game.

This type of fanboy comment really doesn’t help the conversation at all.

Not a fanboy comment. I don't even like Lebron that much. I am a Pacers fan after all.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss other people's opinions like that just because you don't agree with it.

The Warriors probably don’t make the finals if CP3’s hammy holds up. But let’s not remember anything that happened prior to 2 weeks ago...

The Cavs should not have been in the Finals in the first place. That was an embarrassment to the Eastern Conference.

The Warriors probably don’t make the finals if CP3’s hammy holds up. But let’s not remember anything that happened prior to 2 weeks ago...

The Cavs should not have been in the Finals in the first place. That was an embarrassment to the Eastern Conference.

Lol, was waiting for the haters to come out, didn’t take long

All I remember is 3 titles in 4 years

• Advertisement

Not a fanboy comment. I don't even like Lebron that much. I am a Pacers fan after all.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss other people's opinions like that just because you don't agree with it.

It certainly comes across as a fanboy comment when his team were swept and he was outplayed in 3 of the 4 games.

There’s been one losing MVP in NBA Finals history. That was Jerry West in a game 7. You even went so far as to say if it went just 5 games he should win it - again comes across as fanboy stuff.

You may be a Pacers fan but the LeBron stuff you consistently come out with indicates a degree of fanaticism with him too. Your comment was way OTT, and therefore earned my fanboy comment by return. Not one serious commentator has suggested he should have been Finals MVP but you insist everyone knows who the real MVP was. The debate around MVP for the Finals featured 2 players; and LeBron wasn’t one of them, but you insist he was the real MVP? Come on.

Show me one serious journalist or commentator who has stated LeBron was the Finals MVP. Just one. Please?

Have an opinion all you want, but don’t expect not to be criticised for it when it's as it’s daft as the one you spouted. If you can’t see your comment was in hindsight, incorrect, well I really don’t know what to say to you.

I think it’s quite obvious LeBron wants to win a great deal (his hand is in a soft cast because of that!), and that emotional based point wouldn’t detract from his greater consistency on the floor over the four games than either.

They don’t give it to players on the losing side so it’s moot.

It certainly comes across as a fanboy comment when his team were swept and he was outplayed in 3 of the 4 games.

There’s been one losing MVP in NBA Finals history. That was Jerry West in a game 7. You even went so far as to say if it went just 5 games he should win it - again comes across as fanboy stuff.

You may be a Pacers fan but the LeBron stuff you consistently come out with indicates a degree of fanaticism with him too. Your comment was way OTT, and therefore earned my fanboy comment by return. Not one serious commentator has suggested he should have been Finals MVP but you insist everyone knows who the real MVP was. The debate around MVP for the Finals featured 2 players; and LeBron wasn’t one of them, but you insist he was the real MVP? Come on.

Show me one serious journalist or commentator who has stated LeBron was the Finals MVP. Just one. Please?

Have an opinion all you want, but don’t expect not to be criticised for it when it's as it’s daft as the one you spouted. If you can’t see your comment was in hindsight, incorrect, well I really don’t know what to say to you.

Throwing out the 'fanboy' term (which I hate) but talking about Lebron now is "fanaticism" also. Ok..

And here: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/971013/LeBron-James-Kevin-Durant-NBA-Finals-MVP-Max-Kellerman

https://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/pablo-argues-for-lebron-as-finals-mvp~1409887

Don't bother with another condescending reply. This is a sub forum on boards about the NBA. Get over yourself.

Throwing out the 'fanboy' term (which I hate) but talking about Lebron now is "fanaticism" also. Ok..

And here: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/971013/LeBron-James-Kevin-Durant-NBA-Finals-MVP-Max-Kellerman

https://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/pablo-argues-for-lebron-as-finals-mvp~1409887

Don't bother with another condescending reply. This is a sub forum on boards about the NBA. Get over yourself.

I see you missed the part where I said “serious” then I see?

Ok, let’s take your argument then and say you’re right. By that rationale, every other fan, commentator, journalist etc. is wrong with their choice of Durant or Curry. Is that what you’re saying?

He was outplayed in all bar one game and you consider him the MVP? Or are you disagreeing with that too?

Your thinking is just biased bonkers fanboy logic.

Don’t bother with another reply? You can’t tell me not to reply on here. Lol.

I see you missed the part where I said “serious” then I see?

Ok, let’s take your argument then and say you’re right. By that rationale, every other fan, commentator, journalist etc. is wrong with their choice of Durant or Curry. Is that what you’re saying?

He was outplayed in all bar one game and you consider him the MVP? Or are you disagreeing with that too?

Your thinking is just biased bonkers fanboy logic.

Don’t bother with another reply? You can’t tell me not to reply on here. Lol.

Lebron led the series in points, assists, field goal percentage and was 3rd in rebounds carrying an awful team.

Nobody is denying Curry's or Durant's greatness but context has to be taken into consideration. One team was loaded with 3 future HOFers where it becomes much easier for them to go off and the other was just garbage.

Throw all the insults you want. I am not a Lebron fanboy but I have a lot more respect for what he did this year in the playoffs than any other.

If you want to use "fanboy" as a weapon I'll assume you're comfortable being labelled a "hater".

Look people, JaVale McGee should of been finals MVP. That’s just a straight up fact.
    #JaValeNation
    #WarriorsDynasty
    #ItsnotaboutLebron

Lebron led the series in points, assists, field goal percentage and was 3rd in rebounds carrying an awful team.

Nobody is denying Curry's or Durant's greatness but context has to be taken into consideration. One team was loaded with 3 future HOFers where it becomes much easier for them to go off and the other was just garbage.

Throw all the insults you want. I am not a Lebron fanboy but I have a lot more respect for what he did this year in the playoffs than any other.

The Finals MVP is not an award for the entire Play Offs, it’s for the Finals. This is not difficult to understand.

Did he have the best entire Play Offs? Probably yes. But GS weren’t pushed the way he was, hence their players didn’t have to perform the way he did. Who knows what could have happened if they were? You can’t hit game winners and buzzer beaters when you’re winning comfortably.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you want to use "fanboy" as a weapon I'll assume you're comfortable being labelled a "hater".

Sure. Call me a hater for not saying LeBron was the MVP of the Finals then in a series where his team got swept. By that logic there’s s lot of haters out there.

• Advertisement

Just listened to 3 pods this morning whilst driving about the Finals.

1) Dunc’d On - conversation about Curry v Durant about Finals MVP. No mention of LeBron as MVP
    2) Bill Simmons - conversation about where did LeBron go (relatively) for games 2 and 3 (recorded before game 4 so no mention of that, but references to he’s thrown in the towel and it’ll be a sweep). Further mentions that he’s written a piece on it on the Ringer website. Conversation again on Curry v Durant as Finals MVP, no mention of LeBron as Finals MVP.
    3) Ringer NBA show - conversation about LeBron’s reduced level of impact in Games 2, 3 and 4. Conversation on Curry v Durant as Finals MVP.

All haters?

Btw, most picked Curry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement