Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Saw this in Brown Thomas and I couldn't leave it behind.

tumblr_lewyzwtzmL1qag73jo1_400_thumb.jpg?1294880542

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Terry pratchett "Interesting times" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

jumpguy wrote: »
    Odd, I read Imperium by Robert Harris at the start of the summer, and just bought Lustrum today. I thought Imperium was fantastic!

Those two are very good, though obviously a bit lenient with the historical account. I can't wait for the third.

Cicero himself is a brilliant character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Reading A Storm of Swords now, slightly obsessed with ASOIAF.
    ZOMGZZZZ ILY JON SNOW!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3

/fangirl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

/fangirl

There are so many great characters in the series. Arya, Sandor Clegane, Robb, Jaime, Tryion. All brilliant.

I read these three brilliant graphic novels in the last three days.
    batman-the-dark-knight-returns.jpg

1281_400x600.jpg

59980.jpg

All were sublime. The Dark Knight Strikes Again was my favourite, though, almost purely because of the chaos towards the end. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

1qb4H.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

/fangirl
    Jay P wrote: »
    There are so many great characters in the series.
    Arya, Sandor Clegane, Robb, Jaime, Tryion.
    All brilliant.

Do you mind spoilering them as I now know who is going to survive through the last 100 pages or so of A Clash of Kings. Too late for me now (not that bothered but would have preferred not knowing) but others may prefer not to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

midnights-children.jpg

^ Alas, the cover of my edition isn't as cool as that one. :(

I'm just about halfway through. Very strange book, and a little difficult to get into at first, but really really good. The Satanic Verses was great too, so I'll definitely be getting more of Salman Rushdie' stuff when I've finished this.

Finally finished this tonight. I think Salman Rushdie is a little demented; he's an excellent storyteller but his stories are flippin' mental. This was quite a difficult book to read and definitely requires a little patience and determination to get through it. But it was well worth it. :) I think I preferred The Satanic Verses though.

Not quite sure what to read next; have a big stack of books on my desk, just waiting for me. Om nom nom books.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Do you mind spoilering them as I now know who is going to survive through the last 100 pages or so of A Clash of Kings. Too late for me now (not that bothered but would have preferred not knowing) but others may prefer not to see.
    Oh I'm sorry Jackobyte! I'll keep that in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Jay P wrote: »
    I finished Magician by Raymond E. Feist last week. I really enjoyed it, it was easy to read, and it held my attention for the most part, and I really liked the way Feist skipped bits that really didn't matter, like when people were travelling for weeks between cities. A lot of fantasy books, especially, seem to give every single little detail of the story, which is rarely necessary.

If you liked that try anything by Maggie Furey. Start with the Artefacts of Power books, Aurian, Harp of Winds, Sword of Flame and Dhiammara. They're amazing. I was never really into proper fantasy until my Dad gave me these...I've read the series 4 times now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Saw this in Brown Thomas and I couldn't leave it behind.

tumblr_lewyzwtzmL1qag73jo1_400_thumb.jpg?1294880542

+1
    The illustrations in it are ace!

Oh I'm sorry Jackobyte! I'll keep that in mind :)

No bother, you are fine. I was just saying that stating who is going to survive through A Clash of Kings should probably be spoilered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I'm halfway through Jane Eyre.

I think it might be my favourite book. It's beautiful and amazing and I've never read a book like it. I thought it was going to be one of those books that you'd need a dictionary to decipher for some reason but it's not like that at all. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

My cousin gave me a copy of freakonomics!!!! :D

Must find time to read it now....

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" ... I'm finished part 1 and I've only just started getting into it again. Still think the first was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

The most recent book I read was "A Clockwork Orange". It was a fun book, mostly because of the challenge involved in riddling out the meaning of each of the hundreds of semi-nonsense/semi-Russian slang words the author invented for it. On the other hand, delving so closely into a first-person account of a psychopath's tolchockery got to be fairly unsettling eventually... I didn't quite feel right for a few days after finishing it. Which's a sign of a good book, I suppose, when it affects you like that! One of the main ideas at the end of the book was that the character's violence was excused by his youth, which I really don't think I agree with... I liked the significance of the book's title, though, the idea of something natural, capable of sweetness and goodness being insidiously forced into behaving like something cold and mechanical. It's a good one, anyway, but fairly damn disturbing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The most recent book I read was "A Clockwork Orange". It was a fun book, mostly because of the challenge involved in riddling out the meaning of each of the hundreds of semi-nonsense/semi-Russian slang words the author invented for it. On the other hand, delving so closely into a first-person account of a psychopath's tolchockery got to be fairly unsettling eventually... I didn't quite feel right for a few days after finishing it. Which's a sign of a good book, I suppose, when it affects you like that! One of the main ideas at the end of the book was that the character's violence was excused by his youth, which I really don't think I agree with... I liked the significance of the book's title, though, the idea of something natural, capable of sweetness and goodness being insidiously forced into behaving like something cold and mechanical. It's a good one, anyway, but fairly damn disturbing too!

I once read "A Clockwork Orange" followed by "American Psycho". Never been right since. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

halfway through Maskerade by terry pratchett. its really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I just finished Water For Elephants and One Day. Wasn't a fan of Water For Elephants, I didn't like the characters as they just seemed very one dimensional. I loved the characters in One Day, however. Both of them did the job for some light holiday reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

The Hunger Games, seeing as I finally bought it nearly a year after reading the first chapter while waiting for my friends in a bookshop to stop looking at the magazines.
    Despite a hatred for all this ~supanatroool crap out at the moment (not a fan of vampires, werewolves. but I do love angels. Angels are cool.) I loved this. Highly recommend, a very good concept that is pulled off nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I once read "A Clockwork Orange" followed by "American Psycho". Never been right since. :pac:

Heh I did the same, except for me it was the other way round. :D Should have finished it off with Nineteen Eighty Four; I'd probably still be huddled in a dark corner, weeping. :pac:

American Psycho is pretty good (though the clothes descriptions get so boring.) A Clockwork Orange is one of my all time favourite books, must reread it at some point.

I'm almost finished Notes on a Scandal; very good book, though it gets increasingly more serious as it goes on and so some of the laugh out loud dark humour at the start evaporates a little bit. Still a great read though.

Gonna read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep when I'm finished.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Corkfeen wrote: »

The two of those, plus "The Bell Jar" and "Catcher In The Rye", all within a few months. Good times...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I finished the Girl with the Dragon tattoo last night. It was very good. Going to move onto the next in the series tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

Halfway through The Book Thief...I'm about a decade behind the rest of the reading world, after coming to a halt during the LC year. I'm glad to be getting back on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

the grapes of wrath. absolutely beautiful, slow progress because i seem to be re-reading and savouring every paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Reading How Many Miles to Babylon for school, for some reason I though it was going to be a lot more childish than it is...Looking forward to my English teacher completely ignoring any homoerotic undertones >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I couldn't read the damn thing because I had no patience for the nonsensical vocab employed! Nontheless I will go back to it eventually.

Half way through this atm, its fun! thumbs_an-evening-of-long-goodbyes-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Namlub wrote: »
    Reading How Many Miles to Babylon for school, for some reason I though it was going to be a lot more childish than it is...Looking forward to my English teacher completely ignoring any homoerotic undertones >_>

Our teacher pointed out these before we'd even started the book. Great man.

Think I might reread "Sophie's World." Managed to get through it the first time but I feel like I missed about half of it. Very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Stephen Fry's autobiography, Moab is my Washpot.

It's pretty good, witty and insightful and all, but he's a bit of a moaner.

WAH I LOVE MUSIC AND IT'S IN MY SOUL BUT I CAN'T SING WAH

WAH I CAN'T SWIM BUT AT NIGHT I KNOW I'M A DOLPHIN INSIDE BUT I CAN'T WAH

• Advertisement

polka dot wrote: »
    Our teacher pointed out these before we'd even started the book. Great man.
    We are doing Macbeth in school and the teacher was explaining how the witches had no definitive sex when a guy in my class with Aspergers put up his hand and asked the teacher could they be summed up in the term "Humanoid transsexuals". She reckons they could be. :D

Advertisement