Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps Image

• 16-10-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

A colleague in work showed me this image from this location on google maps today. Has anyone any idea what it might be? This may be the wrong forum but I thought I would ask in this sector first.

Grid coordinates are: -54.662408, -36.195128

Zoom right in, there is a long track, approximately 500m from what looks like an impact site. Could be a boulder track but the object at the end looks long and potentially cylindrical. Using google maps measuring tool the object is approximately 60m long and the track is about 6m wide.

Feel free to move elsewhere if better suited in another forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SaraKJohn

Grid coordinates are: -54.662408, -36.195128

The last remaining worm-like monster from the film Tremors, kept going to escape from Kevin Bacon and ended up on the South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. I dunno. Maybe it was tempted by the name of the place and thought to itself... "hmmmm...sandwiches".

Very strange object.. The track originates from that mound ... Are those steps on the bottom part of the shadow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

If you play around with the image in 3D, you soon realize that this is a very steep cliff of ice chunks (ice...bergs ?), and it is in the process of breaking. I think the thing with the track is a big iceberg that broke off the cliff, landed where all the disturbance is, then skidded all the way on the hard flat snow below. The shadow of the object looks iceberg chunk shaped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would suspect it to be a piece of solid ice that broke away from the glacier at the start of the track and has a build-up of snow in front of it.

The extremities of the snow have melted in the sun, leaving a spherical shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It looks like the Sailing Stones in Death Valley. A mass falls down a slope onto some sort of really low viscosity slush and goes on for a distance leaving a trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

https://www.livescience.com/61926-snow-antarctica-google-ufo.html

(Terrible) article on it here.

It's quite clearly the result of an avalanche, it's amazing that it went over a kilometre like that. The sense of perspective gained from going 3D as mentioned above is mindblowing, really cool looking location.

• Advertisement
Advertisement