Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acoustic guitar advise

• 02-12-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

What acoustic guitars are you guys using ? Pros and cons of various brands and models appreciated.
    I always felt let down by Gibson and Guild.
    Loved my ovation sound except for how it sits on my body.
    Thinking about Taylor or Martin.....

Comments

Visconti wrote: »
    What acoustic guitars are you guys using ? Pros and cons of various brands and models appreciated.
    I always felt let down by Gibson and Guild.
    Loved my ovation sound except for how it sits on my body.
    Thinking about Taylor or Martin.....

There you are :)

Taylor, Martin, Lowden or Avalon all make quality acoustics and it's hard to go wrong with any of those makes. I find with the Gibson acoustics, they're largely not worth the money and you're paying for the name and history rather than the quality. Guilds...I've never actually played one now that I think about it.

Have you a specific budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Taylor, Martin, Lowden or Avalon all make quality acoustics and it's hard to go wrong with any of those makes. I find with the Gibson acoustics, they're largely not worth the money and you're paying for the name and history rather than the quality. Guilds...I've never actually played one now that I think about it.

+1 here OP, Taylor and Martin are excellent acoustic guitars but with Gibson acoustics, it's a name thing more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

If you're in the Lowden price bracket look at McIlroy.

Dermot was production manager at Lowden before going out on his own...... and he'd made 1200 guitars so he knows his job!

I LOVE mine to bits

As to the others, all are good instruments. Lowdens are a bit chunky on the neck for my taste, Taylors are a little trebbly for me, and as for Martin's, the only top end one I've played was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

€1500 approx used. Im not big into new guitars. Thanks

Thanks to all for comments , food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Visconti wrote: »
    Thanks to all for comments , food for thought.

Hi OP
    martin are nice, d15's in particular have a very nice sound, and feel nice also
    some taylor's are gorgeous, I agree with what other's have said re gibson. Wish you the best of luck, and many hours of happy playing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Value for money combined with beautiful tones, have a look at takamine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Had a Sigma and a Walden last year, both very nice. Bought used and for next to nothing (had minimal damage).
    Fixed up, lashed on phosphor bronze strings and sold for +300% original price.

The Walden was very nice, 7/8 compact size, nice solid Sitka spruce top, rosewood sides, gold hardware etc. Light and perfect sustain. Would buy again if spotted slightly underpriced.
    Guitar World magazine remarks that Walden’s D710, which is a part of the company’s Natura series and retails for a little under 600 dollars, sets the standard for bargain acoustics and puts guitars that cost nearly three times as much to shame!

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi OP
    martin are nice, d15's in particular have a very nice sound, and feel nice also
    some taylor's are gorgeous, I agree with what other's have said re gibson. Wish you the best of luck, and many hours of happy playing :)

I've a D17M that is just a beautiful, versatile dreadnought (the 15 is all mahogany, the 17 is spruce top mahogany back aind sides). Mine is as good as or better than any standard D18 I,'ve come across. D15s are lovely too - very different sound and feel though.

The 17M is discontinued but they come up as used/demo/NOS in the OP's budget and you would struggle to do better.

No pick up if that's an issue but I got mine rigged for an M80 with no hassle - just needed the strap button hole reamed to get the end pin in

Value for money combined with beautiful tones, have a look at takamine.

Which model ?

• Advertisement

Thanks

Had a Sigma and a Walden last year, both very nice. Bought used and for next to nothing (had minimal damage).
    Fixed up, lashed on phosphor bronze strings and sold for +300% original price.

The Walden was very nice, 7/8 compact size, nice solid Sitka spruce top, rosewood sides, gold hardware etc. Light and perfect sustain. Would buy again if spotted slightly underpriced.

Will check them thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

I'm gigging a Maton SRS60 at the moment. Absolutely love it. Its the easiest guitar to play that I have ever had (that's always a personal thing)

Its definitely not the loudest sounding guitar acoustically, and would have what I have heard referred to as a "modern" sound (lots of note separation and quite a bright sound, but not as woody as say a Tak or Martin)

I personally like the acoustic sound, but its plugged in that this guitar is in its element.

I never have issues with getting a good clear clean acoustic tone through our PA. Feedback is minimal, just a dream to play plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I have had various levels of mid range acoustics over the years but a couple of years ago I got a great deal on a new Taylor 814e. The difference in tone and playability is just night and day. The tone off this thing just makes you want to play it all the time. Everything just sounds amazing. I would stretch your budget as far as you can and go for either a Taylor or martin or Lowden, all of which are beautiful guitars, none of which you will ever regret buying.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Also in the market for a new guitar. Currently using a Crafter that I bought for £170 about 10 years ago in the UK.

What’s the opinion on Faith as a guitar brand? Went in to buy a Taylor 12e for £600 and the bloke showed me this one which sounded really good, much deeper tone, but not quite as comfortable to play as the Taylor which seemed a bit better fit size wise for me. Found it elsewhere for £729 so I’ll see if they can price match it tomorrow.

Any advice lads?? I’ve mainly been playing over last 3 years or so, strumming and a little bit of fingerpicking mainly. Think I’m in it for the long run at this stage and fancy/and can justify (in my own mind at least :D) a good quality guitar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

For under £500 range, Fender CD-140SCE is my damn favourite. Even have gifted to my brother as a beginner. With good budget, I love the V class bracing and expression system of Taylor 314ce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Look at sigma range in musicmaker on wicklow st

Advertisement