Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naming and Shaming bad debts = bad form?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lended money and not pay it back, **** him.
    Posting is hardly the worst thing you could do.
    As to whether it should be allowed on a forum, that is five guys decision...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

IMO it is in poor taste and very bad form to name and shame. Perhaps there are times when it is acceptable but I do not agree that this is one of those times. Just because Jay is in a bad spot does not mean he should resort to this.

It might be in poor taste to name and shame and believe me I did nt do it lightly. What I posted last night was probably one of the nastiest things I have ever done on someone in my life and I got no thrill from it nor am i proud of the thread. But I had my reasons.......

These reasons were nothing to do with me being in a ''bad spot'' but one of principle. I got seriously fkd around by the guy and maybe just maybe in a sick kinda way he might realise something and tell himself he does have issues to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I think he's right to name and shame, it let people know not to lend to this guy. There still a link to he pokerdb on the forum

Woah, what about some unknowns looking at this. They might believe it! You bastard

IT WAS Re...........Woah I cant do that..............No Reggie we all know it was NOT your good self

Jayminator wrote: »

It might be in poor taste to name and shame and believe me I did nt do it lightly. What I posted last night was probably one of the nastiest things I have ever done on someone in my life and I got no thrill from it nor am i proud of the thread. But I had my reasons.......

These reasons were nothing to do with me being in a ''bad spot'' but one of principle. I got seriously fkd around by the guy and maybe just maybe in a sick kinda way he might realise something and tell himself he does have issues to deal with.

Having read everything I still think that in principle name and shame is wrong but in this instance you may be justified. It's a pretty rough situation. I don't hold it against you Jay, but in general I disagree with it.

• Advertisement

Shortstack wrote: »
    At the moment Jay there is very little chance of you getting any cash back. As I found out recently the amount owed is far too much to expect any return. You should just hope people keep staking him as it is the only chance you have of getting anything back which means the thread you posted has just jeopardised any chance you have of getting your cash back.

Mike your above post is 1 of the reasons I put the thread up. I actually did resign myself to losing the money until I heard he was being bailed out and I still never got a call. (Other people received money back)..

FWIW the guy in question is a really sound person.

I know this. This is why I feel a little sick over the thread and the whole episode but ya know what Mike sound people dont do this sh**te. Sound people with a serious problem will do the dirty on ya..

a-k-47 wrote: »
    all this over a tenner

lol. Ya just gotta love the humour.. Love it

eagle eye wrote: »

I would also like to add that if you do intend to out someone, you should be prepared to use your own full name, as that would only be fair.

People who play with me in Dublin know my full name. Im not hiding my full name. It just never occured to me to post my full name.
    I would personally face the issue head on, i.e. wait until I see him playing
    Sigh....... Do you seriously not think I tried this.
    I hope your financial situation improves also.[/QUOTE]. Thank you. It will. Its just the nature of my business and the time of the year thats all but thanks anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

i think this thread seems to have two types of replies the first one and more common is from ppl who dont know the situation and are commenting in general. The second seems to be people who have more than a vague idea of what actually is goin on. These posts should be taken in a different light imo and listened to more than all the dross from the other bandwagoners that populate this place these days

Now I guess I can't really go on about not "outing" so to speak the person as someone mentioned to me because of my earlier actions. I do feel however that the circumstances were different than the one I was ranting on about.

This problem clearly has been an ongoing one for this person for quite a while now. There are a lot of factors unknown as to the reasons why there was no repayment. It was mentioned earlier about owing other people and there were rumors about the phone calls going around asking for no more loans to be made. I think that is a good sign as it is clear that someone is looking out for him perhaps too late though

I guess what i am trying to say is that while it is wrong to renage on the repayments( then again we are not even sure if he has renaged on them as of yet, there just might not be the funds available to repay the loan although it appears this hasnt been the case.) a thought should be spared for the person himself as i doubt any of the people on this forum could contemplate the loses that this person in particular suffered over a short period a while back. The strain of this must have affected him quite a lot and perhaps hasnt been thinking straight since.

just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

I'v been reading through this with alot of disbelief. Most of the posters on here don't know the situation that Jay brought up at all. To say that it was an irrational thing for Jay to do and that he should of taken other sublte lines is naive in the extreme. Do you not think that this was a post by a man who had tried everything. A post by a man, who had given the benefit of the doubt too many times and that had been "cool" bout the situation and was now at his last resort?

Since I'v been around the Dublin poker scene which is only the last year I have been appauled by the amount of people borrowing money and lending money. It is one thing for you to have no cash on your person and ask a friend for a few quid to play a cash game after busting out of a tournament etc. But to ask for money and in alot of cases like this one, ask for a substantial amount in order to keep playing is wrong and stinks of degenercy. Now I know alot of people on here have both borrowed and given money to keep playing and would disagree on the basis that the poker world is built on money exchanging hands in good faith. Well that is all well and good but I continually hear that money has not been paid back. This is a problem, a cancer on our poker society and such people should be ostricized in my opinion as they give poker a bad name and let it live up to its seedy underground sterotype that people have struggled to remove. In my opinon Jay could of made a breakthrough here and that more people should be encouraged to feel that they can name people if they think it will help get there money back. Scary thought for all you sick individuals who leech off trusting and good people. You know who you are, railing the big cash games and final tables. " you coming out for a smoke" etc. You should seek help and now be scared because people will no longer keep quiet about this nasty plague on the poker world.

I know Jay and he is a stand up guy, this was his last resort and I know he wouldn't of felt good doing this. It was merely to warn people about the dangers of lending money and to this person especially. Also he thought that it might shame him into repaying the loan and if not maybe he might realsie that he has a problem and seek help. I dont think it was bad form and certainly not a dicision he made lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickste

very good post rory.

Jay best of luck getting your money back. I was in a near identical situation with said individual. The lies and stories bothered me a lot more rather than the fact it was a while coming back. I got on well with the guy, but the more stories i heard off other known boardsies the more it irriated me.I did recieve the money owed but this was after a long process.

He's burnt all bridges regarding staking off other well known players. Jay I believe you will get your money back, the guy is decent but has been digging deeper holes regarding his debt.I'm not going to be naive and say it could be soon because it's not but i do think he intends too.

Anybody who has played with Jay knows his integrity and etiquitte on the poker table is an example to all. These posters who have no idea about jay or said individual are talking rubbish . I don't think naming posters who owe significant sums should be discouraged if all other avenues have been exhausted beforehand.

Best of luck in the future Jay
    see you soon. mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

mickste wrote: »
    very good post rory.

Jay best of luck getting your money back. I was in a near identical situation with said individual. The lies and stories bothered me a lot more rather than the fact it was a while coming back. I got on well with the guy, but the more stories i heard off other known boardsies the more it irriated me.I did recieve the money owed but this was after a long process.

He's burnt all bridges regarding staking off other well known players. Jay I believe you will get your money back, the guy is decent but has been digging deeper holes regarding his debt.I'm not going to be naive and say it could be soon because it's not but i do think he intends too.

Anybody who has played with Jay knows his integrity and etiquitte on the poker table is an example to all. These posters who have no idea about jay or said individual are talking rubbish . I don't think naming posters who owe significant sums should be discouraged if all other avenues have been exhausted beforehand.

Best of luck in the future Jay
    see you soon. mick

Well said Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭mormank

I'v been reading through this with alot of disbelief. Most of the posters on here don't know the situation that Jay brought up at all. To say that it was an irrational thing for Jay to do and that he should of taken other sublte lines is naive in the extreme. Do you not think that this was a post by a man who had tried everything. A post by a man, who had given the benefit of the doubt too many times and that had been "cool" bout the situation and was now at his last resort?

Since I'v been around the Dublin poker scene which is only the last year I have been appauled by the amount of people borrowing money and lending money. It is one thing for you to have no cash on your person and ask a friend for a few quid to play a cash game after busting out of a tournament etc. But to ask for money and in alot of cases like this one, ask for a substantial amount in order to keep playing is wrong and stinks of degenercy. Now I know alot of people on here have both borrowed and given money to keep playing and would disagree on the basis that the poker world is built on money exchanging hands in good faith. Well that is all well and good but I continually hear that money has not been paid back. This is a problem, a cancer on our poker society and such people should be ostricized in my opinion as they give poker a bad name and let it live up to its seedy underground sterotype that people have struggled to remove. In my opinon Jay could of made a breakthrough here and that more people should be encouraged to feel that they can name people if they think it will help get there money back. Scary thought for all you sick individuals who leech off trusting and good people. You know who you are, railing the big cash games and final tables. " you coming out for a smoke" etc. You should seek help and now be scared because people will no longer keep quiet about this nasty plague on the poker world.

I know Jay and he is a stand up guy, this was his last resort and I know he wouldn't of felt good doing this. It was merely to warn people about the dangers of lending money and to this person especially. Also he thought that it might shame him into repaying the loan and if not maybe he might realsie that he has a problem and seek help. I dont think it was bad form and certainly not a dicision he made lightly.

some harsh words but alot of truth in this imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

. Scary thought for all you sick individuals who leech off trusting and good people. You know who you are, railing the big cash games and final tables. " you coming out for a smoke" etc. You should seek help and now be scared because people will no longer keep quiet about this nasty plague on the poker world.

lol a bit melodramatic, this sounds like script from a bad movie, i can just see schwarzenegger busting into to the jackpot to sort out any nipping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

perhaps instead of locking the original thread you could have merged it with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

dagunman wrote: »
    Then there are another host of degen's who are saying its bad form as there bricking it that they will be next to be outed.

You have some f***in attitude problem as far as i can see. Everything you write reads like your head is shoved up your own ****

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ffs, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Low content here from me....

Been watching this one with interest as I myself am owed a few quid by dublins regs with no sign ever of getting it back but it's not any substantial ammount...

Firstly Jay is a real stand up guy and I'm 100% sure he wouldn't do this lightly.. I'm sorry it had to come to this and I hope you get it back soon.. I don't know the other party involved so cant comment...

While I don't like the method I'm sure he had his reasons for it.... and don't see it as a problem if (and I'm sure it all is) it's as described....

I'm 100% sure that if the guy came to Jay and said listen .... hard times.....broke...... etc etc.... here's a few bob off it and i'll have more at the end of the month or something that would have been fine.... but getting ignored is the worst...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Mac, remember that letterbox thief and your 7 iron.......why not bring the ol club into the SE (put it down yer trousers and walk like a nazi to confuse the doormen)
    then go to the cash tables and request yer cash whilst taking a few practice swings.....btw I'm suing you, the ipod I got from you has caused partial deafness in my right ear, they should carry an acdc warning , black on black did the damage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

nicnicnic wrote: »
    lol a bit melodramatic, this sounds like script from a bad movie, i can just see schwarzenegger busting into to the jackpot to sort out any nipping

lol Nicky, this is pretty much how it happens in the SE with one regular degenerate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

I'm glad i'm broke

Trippie wrote: »

I guess what i am trying to say is that while it is wrong to renage on the repayments( then again we are not even sure if he has renaged on them as of yet, there just might not be the funds available to repay the loan although it appears this hasnt been the case.) a thought should be spared for the person himself as i doubt any of the people on this forum could contemplate the loses that this person in particular suffered over a short period a while back. The strain of this must have affected him quite a lot and perhaps hasnt been thinking straight since.

Gordon are you for fkn real man. ''then again we are not sure he has renaged on them as of yet''....... This guy was bailed out recently and I never even got as much as a phone call or even a down fkn payment off the loan. I have already stated that if the guy came to me and said he was broke then it would of gone no further. Except he never bothered to come to me..... I should not need to go looking for him for payment. I should not of needed to post such a thread. The ''funds'' were made available to pay off other people and I was not on that list. Yet instead of admitting that he was broke he continued on his charade of the high roller which just simply stinks imo.

On 4 or 5 seperate occasions via phone calls texts and actual face to face meetings I was told I would get the money back. At each of those face to face meetings he fkd off back to the pub, never answered his phone, had me waiting in Drogheda for hours while he told me he had the money, never turned up in Drogheda on time and when he did turn up he fkd off cos I was there looking for my money. On another occasion in the Sporting Emporium he was caught on the hop as he never expected me to be there. (he was drunk).. He told me he was going down to the cash desk and would be back in a few minutes with the loot... He fkd off again.... Ask my bllx about sparing a thought for him will ya. With regard to ''sparing a thought'' for this person, I have spared quite a few thoughts and none of them positive.

The fact that this person suffered huge losses over a short period of time is a clear indication of the real problem. It was his degeneracy that caused the losses end of story and nothing to do with running bad etc etc.

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

You have some f***in attitude problem as far as i can see. Everything you write reads like your head is shoved up your own ****

lol. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zuber

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well all I can say is that I personally retrieved moneys owed to me from a crack addict when I lived in the US, and I did not have to tell everybody about it either.

This is not a joke btw. And clearly I didn't know he was a junkie when I gave him the money.

I personally believe that those who do not have the stones to get their money back are the ones who get stung.
    They go around talking behind peoples backs but not to their face as they would lead to you believe they did.

yea right a crack addict repaid a loan because yoy have the stones to go after him/her probably preformed a service for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Howyiz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Lazare wrote: »
    Howyiz

Was wondering when you were going to show your face. Where's that score you on me? It's been almost 7 years. Pay up man ffs :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lazare owes me a pint, hang him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Advertisement