Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So many bad beats on PPP, just me?

• 08-04-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i'm not venting any frustration, just wondering if its the norm on paddy power, i play alot of poker offline but have recently started playing more online poker, i've had bad beat after bad beat on paddy power, is this happening anyone else or was it just my bad luck?

I'm just gonna give a few examples, i deposited 10 quid ( i know its feck all, but as im out of work at the minute i wanted it to last me a while online) and was playing either 1c-2c cash games or 2c/4c or 5/10c games, i usually play fairly tight unless i see a bit of weakness but every good hand i got was cracked by some really bad hands,
    so i get QQ, im two seats behind the dealer and everyone folds up to me, i raise to 25c (most players have between 50c to 2 euro), small blind folds, big blind raises to 70c, i only have 1 euro so i go all in, he calls and shows 9-3 off, he picks up a 9 on the flop and a 3 on the river, so im bust and rebuy for 2 euro.
    Im hoping to get my money back bit by bit,
    the very next hand i get AA,
    so the guy after big blind raises to 30c (he has €1.20 before he raised), all other players fold until it gets to me, i'm thinking i don't want him to see this flop because he might pick up a better hand than me so i raise to 70c thinking he isnt really pot commited so he might fold. Then, the small blind (the guy that beat me in the last hand) raises to put me all in, so i'm thinking YES some revenge is in order, the other guy folds. I obviously call and he shows 6-2 off,
    flop comes 3,4,5 all different suits, the turn is a 10 and river a J.....

That has been happening me constantly, when playing on paddypower, is there like some weird malfunction in the code that makes the worst hand win all the time? It wasnt just me it was happening to but other people at the table too and other tables on other days. I just can't win a hand online, the anger almost had me put my pc through the window.

Any advice or tips? Maybe i should try pokerstars or something? where do you lads play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fracture wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm not venting any frustration, just wondering if its the norm on paddy power, i play alot of poker offline but have recently started playing more online poker, i've had bad beat after bad beat on paddy power, is this happening anyone else or was it just my bad luck?

I'm just gonna give a few examples, i deposited 10 quid ( i know its feck all, but as im out of work at the minute i wanted it to last me a while online) and was playing either 1c-2c cash games or 2c/4c or 5/10c games, i usually play fairly tight unless i see a bit of weakness but every good hand i got was cracked by some really bad hands,
    so i get QQ, im two seats behind the dealer and everyone folds up to me, i raise to 25c (most players have between 50c to 2 euro), small blind folds, big blind raises to 70c, i only have 1 euro so i go all in, he calls and shows 9-3 off, he picks up a 9 on the flop and a 3 on the river, so im bust and rebuy for 2 euro.
    so the guy after big blind raises to 30c (he has €1.20 before he raised), all other players fold until it gets to me, i'm thinking i don't want him to see this flop because he might pick up a better hand than me so i raise to 70c thinking he isnt really pot commited so he might fold. Then, the small blind (the guy that beat me in the last hand) raises to put me all in, so i'm thinking YES some revenge is in order, the other guy folds. I obviously call and he shows 6-2 off,

That has been happening me constantly, when playing on paddypower, is there like some weird malfunction in the code that makes the worst hand win all the time? It wasnt just me it was happening to but other people at the table too and other tables on other days. I just can't win a hand online, the anger almost had me put my pc through the window.

Any advice or tips? Maybe i should try pokerstars or something? where do you lads play?

I gave up on PP poker, everytime I went all in against a chip leader I lost even though I always had the stronger hand at the time. I think the tournaments in particular are full of bad beats in order for low stacks to be knocked out so they might by into another tournament. I havent played on there in nearly a year so I dont know if it has changed but I wouldnt be too quick in going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

where do you play now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Question for you. If you have AA and i have 62, what's your goal? If it's to get all my money, then you want me to call or raise. Don't worry about the result, you got it in good in both cases. Keep doing that, and you'll be golden.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Question for you. If you have AA and i have 62, what's your goal? If it's to get all my money, then you want me to call or raise. Don't worry about the result, you got it in good in both cases. Keep doing that, and you'll be golden.
    Yeh, I would obviously try and get as much out of you as possible, but in online play if you went all in pre-flop and I called you I would probably end up losing.
    I was playing live poker last night, i raised big pre flop and got one caller, the flop came 3,4,5, the turn was a 6 and the river was a 9, i had pocket kings and the caller had J-2 off and he got the straight on the turn, i bet heavily on all streets and doubled him up which left me crippled. There has to be somewhere i can play with people who have a brain cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Yeh, I would obviously try and get as much out of you as possible, but in online play if you went all in pre-flop and I called you I would probably end up losing.
    I was playing live poker last night, i raised big pre flop and got one caller, the flop came 3,4,5, the turn was a 6 and the river was a 9, i had pocket kings and the caller had J-2 off and he got the straight on the turn, i bet heavily on all streets and doubled him up which left me crippled. There has to be somewhere i can play with people who have a brain cell.

so you bet KK with no outs with a massive likely hood of a straight on the board and are pissed of that you lost to a straight?

• Advertisement

so you bet KK with no outs with a massive likely hood of a straight on the board and are pissed of that you lost to a straight?

well when you think about it, i raised big pre-flop and got a caller, so i thought he had something higher that a J-2, maybe a AQ or QJ or something similar, not a J-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

There has to be somewhere i can play with people who have a brain cell.
    So you think you are more likely to beat better players?.

Daithio12 wrote: »
    So you think you are more likely to beat better players?.

No, but a better player wouldn't call a big raise pre-flop with J-2 off, if he didn't call i would have won. That was so hard to figure out wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

well when you think about it, i raised big pre-flop and got a caller, so i thought he had something higher that a J-2, maybe a AQ or QJ or something similar, not a J-2.

You also bet the flop with 345 on it. What did you think he had then? Start re. Assessing your hands at every stage. Holdem is a game of 7 cards, not just the 2 you begin with.
    No, but a better player wouldn't call a big raise pre-flop with J-2 off, if he didn't call i would have won. That was so hard to figure out wasn't it.

A good player will play the player he is up against not the cards in his hands. If you raise pre flop then you obviously have good cards. If I call with junk and hit then it is likely you will keep betting cos you feel that good cards should win. Even when faced with overwhelming evidence that you are beat you will still keep betting into me. If I don't catch with these crappy cards I can fold on the flop. That really isn't hard to figure out.

This isn't a bad beat. This is less one numero uno in poker. The game is about more than the cards In your hands.
    Learn to re assess your hands after each raise and call and at each point in the game. What is good pre flop is junk after the flop.
    Learn to think more about what your opponent is likely to have based on the evidence.
    Learn more about the odds of the game. Most of the time kk is going to lose 20% to an unknown hand if it goes to the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

You're right of course, move up levels where they'll respect your raises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

i only play levels where the money doesnt affect my judgement, so if a guy that has been playing tight raises and i'm in position, i might call with junk more often than with a QJ or KJ or another hand which may be dominated, if i hit my hand is pretty disguised and i get bet into pretty often and get a good score, if i miss, i lose the raise and move on. if i have KK and bet the flop and get called on 345 flop, he either has it or has the draw, either way when the 6 comes on river i aint playing no more, certainly not all in. Bad play by the KK is the general consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭manbat

You raised BIG preflop, the other chap could have sniffed a bit of weakness off you.

He got the lucky on the flop and turn and played it well from there. The other opinions in here are right, you cant just keep the head down and keep firing with your big preflop pair, especially with that board!

P.King.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Classic trolling op.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Classic trolling op.
    I wasn't trolling actually, the thread was about PPP, I was just talking about one stupid hand a few posts up, I messed that hand up. It doesn't help that I find it hard to fold pocket Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CrillyRules

The weird thing I find is that I get a lot more bad beats on paddy power poker than I do in real life.
    I used to think it was because I concentrated more in a rl game so I tried just playing one table and not watching tv ect.
    Same old story really, I double up over about 4 hours then lose it all in 2 bad beats.
    Im not sure to be honest because we all remember the bad beats and it doesnt affect me as i only throw in 20 euros every few months as I dont play much poker anymore.
    I will say it again though, bad beats happen all the time but not as much as they (appear) to happen in online poker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

The reason you get so many "beats" online is because you play between 3-4 times more hands. When playing live a round of the table could take 20 minutes, omline it should take 3 or 4 minutes max.

Nothing is fixed or rigged against you. Online sites use RNG, Random Number Generator. And this story about losing to bigger stacks in tourneys "all the time" is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

I played at PP for quite a long time, I think Ipoker network is the best one in terms of RGN. So I haven't had a lot of bad beats really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

How is one to really ever know the legitimacy of an online gambling company?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

If all a scam, i know a person working for PP and all games are rigged for you to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

I know a person who works for PP and all online games are a scam. The odds are always against you no matter how strong a hand you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

feeditout wrote: »
    I know a person who works for PP and all online games are a scam. The odds are always against you no matter how strong a hand you have.
    Congratulations on the stupidest post in the history of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Luke Armstrong

feeditout wrote: »

You winning or losing has no effect on what the poker site makes. They get paid in rake so they're going to win no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

You winning or losing has no effect on what the poker site makes. They get paid in rake so they're going to win no matter what

However it is their interest to drive action and maximise rake. While some of the plays you see on microstakes in general may be defined as clinically insane, I have noticed commonly flops turns and rivers which contain pretty much the most action generating cards which are still available.

Most online poker rooms also post which randomness algorithm they are using to make hands Random, however in computing terms nothing can be completely random.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 96YNWA96

still the very same

Advertisement