Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools
29-08-2019, 23:46   #1
TornadoAli
Registered User
 
TornadoAli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Are Aces welcome here?

Actually are there any even here? (Ireland/Dublin - I imagine there must be..) Just moved to town and have gotten confused looks from the few people I dared mention it to.
TornadoAli is offline  
Advertisement
29-08-2019, 23:52   #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,906
I would say I'm demi, but I think there's very little understanding of the sexual/asexual spectrum even within the community
Zavier Delightful Superhighway is offline  
29-08-2019, 23:59   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,342
I run a group of over 5000 aces on FB. You would have better luck on FB than here. Just saying.
JackTaylorFan is offline  
30-08-2019, 16:30   #4
_Godot_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 706
You're not alone! Hello!
_Godot_ is offline  
(2) thanks from:
31-08-2019, 11:51   #5
AllForIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,931
<----------- Tennis forum
AllForIt is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-08-2019, 19:00   #6
L.Jenkins
Let's Do This!!!
 
L.Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18,006
Mod note: There's no need for smart comments.
L.Jenkins is offline  
31-08-2019, 19:53   #7
Mr.Frame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAli View Post
Actually are there any even here? (Ireland/Dublin - I imagine there must be..) Just moved to town and have gotten confused looks from the few people I dared mention it to.
Excuse my ignorance , but what are "aces"?
Mr.Frame is offline  
31-08-2019, 20:44   #8
J_E
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
Excuse my ignorance , but what are "aces"?
Asexual - no sexual attraction to other people. Does not mean you are antisocial or can't love, you just don't have a sexual drive towards other people.
J_E is offline  
31-08-2019, 20:46   #9
Fann Linn
Registered User
 
Fann Linn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
Excuse my ignorance , but what are "aces"?
Us old timers!!
Fann Linn is offline  
Advertisement
04-09-2019, 04:53   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E View Post
Asexual - no sexual attraction to other people. Does not mean you are antisocial or can't love, you just don't have a sexual drive towards other people.
It's even more nuanced than that. Gray ace; demi; aro ace, etc.

Crazy stuff

All hail Todd
JackTaylorFan is offline  
04-09-2019, 05:56   #11
Joeytheparrot
Moderator
 
Joeytheparrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 23,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTaylorFan View Post
It's even more nuanced than that. Gray ace; demi; aro ace, etc.

Crazy stuff

All hail Todd
I think we shouldny assume that everyone knows all the terminology around asexuality. J_E was answering "what is ace" and was trying to to explain it to to people who know very little about the area. It might be helpful if you explained what gray ace, demi and aro ace are
Joeytheparrot is offline  
(7) thanks from:
04-09-2019, 15:10   #12
Mr.Frame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytheparrot View Post
I think we shouldny assume that everyone knows all the terminology around asexuality. J_E was answering "what is ace" and was trying to to explain it to to people who know very little about the area. It might be helpful if you explained what gray ace, demi and aro ace are
I agree. I havent heard of any of those names/terms.
Mr.Frame is offline  
04-09-2019, 16:38   #13
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
I've heard of demi but will probably fail to explain it properly - what I interpreted it as is that physical/sexual attraction is only likely to come about after an emotional, non sexual/physical, connection is already made with the other party. And that's almost definitely at least partially wrong!
L1011 is online now  
10-09-2019, 08:08   #14
Joeytheparrot
Moderator
 
Joeytheparrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 23,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
I agree. I havent heard of any of those names/terms.
Same here - I found this though

http://www.whatisasexuality.com/outreach/glossary/
Joeytheparrot is offline  
Thanks from:
01-10-2019, 18:57   #15
skallywag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytheparrot View Post
I think we shouldny assume that everyone knows all the terminology around asexuality. J_E was answering "what is ace" and was trying to to explain it to to people who know very little about the area. It might be helpful if you explained what gray ace, demi and aro ace are
A big +1 to that.

I'm a straight guy who takes a look at this sub-forum from time to time, but I find it quite intimidating to post because of not knowing the lingo etc, and that does not just go for aces.
skallywag is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools



Share Tweet