Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-12-2014, 19:49   #1
The Black Oil

What are you reading/analysing at the moment?

Last night I watched A Dangerous Method

I thought it was a decent film, not a lot more than that. Good acting. Beautifully shot. Most the focus is on the relationship between Keira Knightley's character and Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender). She's initially highly distressed, frightened, reluctant, if expressive. The film starts with her being carted off to the hospital.

We're fairly on in the 'talking cure' approach to psychotherapy. Freud is played by Viggo Mortenson, and this period is framed by his sexual theory understanding of personal problems and the human psyche. The inevitable up and down of his relationship with Jung is pretty well done, partly in person and by correspondence. I think the main criticism here is that the film feels a little too cautious. I don't know of other dramatic pieces that have taken on this period of psychology. Anyone?

On a book related note, Freud's Civilization and Its Discontents is on my list. Am looking forward to it as I think for some, perhaps myself included, such as re the film above prior to watching, the inherent response is 'Freud? Bit of a plonker'.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-12-2014, 00:39   #2

Been meaning to watch that for a while...

I know that there is a film being made about the Stanford Prison Experiment which may be interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420293/

At the moment I'm dabbling in and out of Flow: The Psychology of Optimum Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly. Interesting stuff in it about just how to take control of your activities and time and really advance yourself.

On the side, I'm just looking at different theories in general. Was looking at Jung's concept of Individuation and Self etc. and was really fascinated by them. If I get the chance, I might try and read one of his works soon..
Thanks from:
08-01-2015, 01:01   #3
Valmont

Plonker or not, Freud's is so caught up in therapy of all strands that I think having at least a basic understanding of his ideas is very important for all aspiring psychologists. I was in Hodges Fidges before Christmas and - no joke - almost two thirds of the psychology section was comprised of books on or by Freud!

I will definitely check this film out if only to see Viggo Mortensen as the man himself...

I'm currently reading a book on psychological approaches to pain management in advance of an upcoming internship. There is surprisingly little room for physical medicine when it comes to chronic pain conditions; the non-physiological aspects seem to rein supreme.
Thanks from:
08-01-2015, 13:20   #4
JuliusCaesar

Off-topic, but : Isn't there always a psychological aspect to Pain Management courses? In addition to input from medics regarding analgesia, and physios regarding movement etc? I wouldn't expect medics to understand or teach psychological treatment, any more than I'd expect psychologists to understand/teach analgesic medication.
08-01-2015, 22:17   #5
Valmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar View Post
Off-topic, but : Isn't there always a psychological aspect to Pain Management courses? In addition to input from medics regarding analgesia, and physios regarding movement etc? I wouldn't expect medics to understand or teach psychological treatment, any more than I'd expect psychologists to understand/teach analgesic medication.
Yes for the last few decades from what I've read but it seems the physical aspect has been largely overestimated for many chronic cases. For example, Deyo, Walsh, and Martin (1990) studied people who had experienced lower back pain for four years or more and found that trancutaneous electrical nerve stimulation worked just as well as a sham surgical procedure. There are too many studies along these lines too mention!
Advertisement
12-02-2015, 12:44   #6
The Black Oil

The later sections of Freud's Civilization...got into the area of sexual incompatibility, marriage and so on. Isn't this sometimes cited (not sure where - PI threads on boards?) as one of the main contributors to marital breakup?

I'll read it again at some point. Despite his reputation, I can't think of any key quotes Freud is particularly known for. Anyone?
14-02-2015, 11:30   #7
JuliusCaesar

"Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar"
"of all the nations, the Irish are un-analysable"

(both garbled and apocryphal)
(3) thanks from:
24-04-2015, 16:33   #8
Vinny-Chase

Currently reading Running on Empty, a book on Childhood Emotional Neglect. It's easy to identify abuse or a "bad" childhood but the book goes into the things that aren't said and aren't done. An interesting concept and I find a lot of clients can relate to the idea.
25-04-2015, 22:23   #9
Roquentin
Banned

mans search for himself

--rollo may
Advertisement
06-08-2015, 16:22   #10
The Black Oil

France's forensic psychiatry provision: the long and winding road in Lancet Psychiatry. Link

Good to see a drop in prison suicide rates, small though it may be.
30-08-2015, 11:59   #11
The Black Oil

Oliver Sacks has passed away, unfortunately.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...hor-awakenings
Thanks from:
31-08-2015, 12:30   #12
JuliusCaesar

Remember reading Awakenings after it came out, read most of his books after that. :-(
31-08-2015, 20:36   #13
The Black Oil

I really enjoyed this episode of Radio Lab he was on a few years ago. Gives you some sense of his issues in recognising faces. Funny.

10-10-2016, 22:11   #14
The Black Oil

David Tennant is playing R.D. Laing in Mad to Be Normal, coming next year. No trailer yet.
Thanks from:
23-10-2016, 11:52   #15
The Black Oil

The Brain Science Podcast - featuring an interview with Dr. Brenda Milner. She's in her 90s! Remember HM from your undergrad days?
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion