Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

which drawer is what in my washing machine

Options
  • 31-10-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I know this is basic but in our previous places the machines has just one main drawer so was straight forward.

The washing machine in our new place has a narrow drawer on the left, a wide one in the middle and a small one with a mesh like cover with flower design on the right.

The are numbered 1-3 from left to right.

I tried putting the vanish powder pre wash remover in the left drawer but it just stay and clogged. Detergent in the middle one and that was fine. Softener in the 3rd one and it just stayed.

I then tried detergent and softener in both left and middle to see which went down but think cos the powder was there they all clogged.

which drawers are correct?

Model is whirpool AWZ 410

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually I is for the pre-wash / stain remover etc., II is for the main detergent and the flower symbol is for fabric softener as you initially thought. Note that the first compartment will only be used for those programs that have a pre-wash though.

It sounds like the whole drawer needs a thorough clean out as it's probably gunged up with old detergent and dried up fabric softener. The drawers either simply pull out or there's a catch or lever you have to press to release it.

Once you've got it out rinse it thoroughly under hot water and make sure all the gunge is removed. Usually in the fabric softener compartment there's also a little siphon cover that needs to be removed and replaced after cleaning too.

You should be able to download a user manual from the Whirlpool web site if you need any more information on use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

jillyb wrote: »
    Softener in the 3rd one and it just stayed.

Speaking generally, the softener doesn't be washed down into the drum as soon as you start up the machine.It only goes in for the last 20 minutes or so of the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd soak the detergent tray in a large bucket of warm water for a hour or so to loosen up the clogged powder, then rinse it out under a warm tap and jiggle the siphon mechanism on the softener tray in case it's stuck. The softener section normally has some amount of liquid in it for the siphon to work properly so hold the tray level under a tap and slowly fill the softener section, then let the siphon mechanism drain but retain a small amount of water which is normal. Do this last and then replace the tray in the machine.

The softener is normally flushed out in the final rinse, the symbol is a six petal flower symbol. It's possible that some of your wash cycles do not involve a pre-wash which might explain why the powder in tray I wasn't shifting. Wool and Delicate cycles may be main wash only in which case it will only flush out the powder in the main (II) detergent tray. For cotton and other programs you may have to press a 'pre-wash' button in order to do two wash cycles and use the powder in section I.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

Thanks for all the replies- very helpful!

I pulled out the drawer and there was a load of gunk, mainly powder mixed with detergent in behind it. Looked like mould aswell.

Thoroughly cleaned it out so hopefully the next wash will be improved

Advertisement