Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

North Dublin Thunderstorm and Floods 9/8/08

Options
  • 09-08-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

It started off wet across the Dublin area as frontal rain moved up from the south in the early morning.

10mm was recorded from that here but the sun was shining and the temp soared to 23.6C.
    Dewpoints (DP) where also high reaching 18.5C with humidity at 85% so a thundery feel to things.
    However 06Z GFS plotted minimal Cape values over the country with rain expected but not severe. What we got later was severe.

At around the 1600 the first set of sferics appeared in the midlands from a small but maturing storm building and moving west towards the N Dublin region.
    The storm quickly intensified over the Dublin area dumping upto 2 inches of rain in a short time with major flooding in parts.
    56.6mm in total for the 9th with 46.6 from the storm alone.
    Max rain rate was 129.5mm/hr though consistently recording over 80mm pr/hr several times.
    Total of 76.2mm for Dublin AP in the 24hr peroid.

Peak lightning strike rate was 22 pr/min and over 350 strikes in 1.5hrs.

Below are screencaps of radar and stats from the storm including a lake that formed in my cul de sac after the rain overwhelmed the drains. It was 6" to 8" on the road itself and streamed into neighbours gardens. Luckily the slopes of the gardens run towards the street.

Live accounts and aftermath found in this [thread=2055344611] thunderstorm thread on main forum[/thread]

images.gif

Thunderstorm.png

Thunderstorm2.png

Thunderstorm3.png

Thunderstorm6.png

Thunderstorm4.jpg

Thunderstorm5.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was over da northside today in swords and man was the rain torrential and managed to catch some of that TS too, it was only a mile or so away. I tried to make my way home about 6pm and it was total gridlock man, roads flooded diversions in place everywhere. Heh, I turned off the m50 for Ballymun thinking I was being a smartarse avoiding the toll and it took me almost 3 hours to get home :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Finglas, North Dublin @ about 19:00

99789980hu5.jpg

97948575nb2.jpg

63485854dc9.jpg

81178573cu6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

passive wrote: »

Where's that?

One I took today on the way home from work.
    1000260bt1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

clown bag wrote: »
    Finglas, North Dublin @ about 19:00

Are them pictures from Wellmount? I grew up just down from there and i never ever seen that road flooded like that. That's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Congrats Snowbie and other northsiders, ye finally got a direct hit! (us Galwegians seem to have a charmed presence wherever we go :D;))

Just a pity we were thrashed by da Kingdom..:(:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

That's a big one!
    Dublin AP 76.2mm anyone got hourly stats for this storm, maybe bettered Shannon's 38.4mm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I see one of the hours in the thunderstorm thread
    Mobhi1 wrote: »
    17:00 reports from http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp:

CASEMENT S 04 Gust 26 RECENT THUNDER 16 97 18.0 1000

DUBLIN AIRPORT S 05 HEAVY THUNDERST 16 93 24.1 1000

Presumably 18:00 will be something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

It is also looking likely that at 2100 an additional 20mm fell in and around that time from the second storm that swiped me here and went more of the AP and over the northern parts of the county. If the hourly stats become available, post them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

My apologies to Snowbie, these are from Kildare, but caused by the same system so I thought they might as well go in here.

These are my boots, in my crop of winter wheat.....

EC94B5A9C23543FF882617DDB1E44797-800.jpg

EAE972A25D3941B7BD348B590AA203FF-800.jpg

52520F2251234825BF3B40F9AD030B64-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Santrycommunity

You can view photos of the floods on 9th August on www.santrycommunity.info If you have any photos you would like to submit please email info@santrycommunity.info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Where's that?

One I took today on the way home from work.
    1000260ty7.jpg

It's taken from the flyover between Beaumont and Santry... Not sure what it goes over exactly.. the.. em... motorway? oh, the M1!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

nilhg wrote: »

These are my boots, in my crop of winter wheat.....

Nice Paddy Field:D

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

You should also check out the photos of yesterdays flooding on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=all&q=dublin+flood&m=text

Seems the N3 is still flooded this morning.

Live accounts and aftermath found in this [thread=2055344611] thunderstorm thread on main forum[/thread] for future reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Are them pictures from Wellmount? I grew up just down from there and i never ever seen that road flooded like that. That's unbelievable.

Yeh, i reckon they are.

Wellmount was never affected as far as i know in the last floods on 2002 and 2000, quite extraordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

You can view photos of the floods on 9th August on www.santrycommunity.info If you have any photos you would like to submit please email info@santrycommunity.info
    Thanks there's a few very good ones in that site. The direct link is this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Here's a video of the floods from the Santry area last Saturday. Santry Community....feel free to use this video on your website if you wish.

http://exposureroom.com/members/geraghtyg.aspx/assets/721102130b994607bbf692d1f55b08a3/

On your intro highdef, it should be Sat 9th August 2008 instead of 7th.:)

Another super vid. Just like a tropical storm you would witness in the tropics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Oooops, well spotted there Snowbie!!! Can't believe I didn't cop that. D'oh :o I'll upload it again at some stage with the correct date whenever I get a chance.....don't hold your breath though!!!

• Advertisement

I knew i saved this somewhere on my hard drive. This is the thunderstorm approaching Dublin from satellite. It shows the first cell and the second that hit the area in quick succession. The 2100 storm that affected Dublin AP northwards wasn't born yet.

images.gif

Advertisement