Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 12: Tuna Carpaccio

• 23-03-2015 4:26pm
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

In a terrific restaurant in Dingle some time ago, I had Tuna Carpaccio as a starter. This is my attempt at recreating it at home. Carpaccio can be fish or meat, usually served raw in very thin slices, though you can sear the outside and serve rare. In this recipe, I've used fish, though you could use beef if you prefer.

It serves two very generously as a starter. (well actually 2 generous starters and we both had seconds and I still had a few slices left for snacking on later on, so if you were serving up for 4 you would probably get enough out of 250g-300g, and have enough of the dressing without increasing quantities below.) As a starter dish, I like it because its one you can prepare beforehand, looks more effort than it actually is, and its served chilled so if it was being served as part of a three course meal, you can concentrate on the main dish or enjoying the wine company instead.

Ingredients:
    200g tuna steak.
    Large bunch of fresh Dill

Large bunch of Coriander
    1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
    1 green Chilli - I removed the seeds, if you like a bit more heat you can keep some in, but it might overpower the rest of the ingredients if you have it very hot.
    Juice and zest of 2 Limes
    1 tablespoon of Sesame Oil
    3 tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
    3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
    1 tablespoon Sesame seeds.

Method:
    Chop dill and coat the outside of the tuna with it. If you want to sear the tuna briefly on the outside do it at this point, on a high temperature, briefly so its still rare and leave to cool. Wrap it tightly in cling film and chill for a couple of hours (or overnight)

Toast sesame seeds in a dry pan until golden brown. Although the recipe only needs 1 tablespoon, I toast more than that just to have in the kitchen, to sprinkle on other things too. Set aside the sesame seeds to cool.

Put the rest of the ingredients in a blender or a liquidiser and blend to a smooth liquid. Add in three quarters of the sesame seeds after blending, so they stay whole in the dressing. Taste and adjust the dressing if necessary.

To serve, thinly slice the fish, arrange on a side plate with a bit of side salad, and drizzle a small amount of the dressing on the tuna. Sprinkle a few toasted sesame seeds over the tuna and serve.

Apologies, I did have a picture, but cant find it now!

The tuna steak I used was frozen sashami grade. You ideally want sushi/sashami grade tuna. A fresh tuna steak will be lovely and pink, whereas a defrosted one is slightly browner tinged. Taste-wise there is no difference but depending on your supplier they may only have frozen in stock.

Some variations of tuna carpaccio recipe say you can slice it when frozen, which would let you slice it thinner than you might if it wasn't frozen. I think I'd try it this way the next time, though I did manage to slice mine very thinly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have all these ingredients in stock (bar the tuna) so I think I'll try at the weekend - it sounds lovely and fresh!

One question about the searing: do you sear it in a hot pan after you coat it in herbs? Did you use oil?

I presume if I go to my local fish shop and ask about good quality tuna they'll tell me it's wonderful :pac: Is there a way of telling what's sashimi grade tuna?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd say you could do it either way - if you wanted to give it a quick flash in the pan you can put the herb on before hand. But if you think you prefer it well seared, you might risk burning the herbs before your steak is seared to your liking. If I recall correctly, I think I just used a good non-stick pan without any oil.

I found the searing made it harder to slice thinly - while the steak is not as flakey as other fish, when its seared, it gets as flakey as the stuff in the tin, so bear that in mind when you slice it.

I just asked for sushi-grade tuna in the fishmongers. He was actually great - at the time they only had frozen in stock so that's what I used. It was him that explained that fresh tuna is lovely and pink, therefore more popular for sushi, frozen is pinky-beige so really its down to your preference for presentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

All fish sold has been frozen at some point, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

This sounds lovely Neyite - I'm going to try it with beef as I'm not a major fan of tuna. Do you think it would work with another type of fish?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

convert wrote: »
    This sounds lovely Neyite - I'm going to try it with beef as I'm not a major fan of tuna. Do you think it would work with another type of fish?

Not sure Convert, but I''ve eaten salmon carpaccio which was lovely, I'd say it would be just as nice with beef.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

All fish sold has been frozen at some point, no?

No, I don't think so. If it has been you can't refreeze it. I always ask when buying fish has it been frozen, and unless it's something non-native like seabass or those giant shrimp, it's usually fresh from a fishmonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All fish sold to be eaten raw in Europe must have been deep frozen first. This is to kill parasites. Iirc, it must have reached minus 20C for a full week or minus 35C for 24h

I cried a little when I found this out about my favourite fish snack. Not as fresh as I thought :(

hollandse%20nieuwe%202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maatjes? Would the pickling process not kill any bugs?

/off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, not maatjes. Not pickled. Raw. Hollandse Nieuwe :)

That's the first batch of North Sea herring of the year caught fresh in June (and then immediately frozen on the boat obviously :() and you eat them completely raw - with raw finely sliced onion (optional)

There are festivals dedicated to it and the first basket brought on shore is typically auctioned (for charity) and fetches about €50,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Wow! We had this for dinner tonight.

Surprisingly easy to make versus how flashy it looks on a plate! :)

The dressing is awesome. I was nipping away at it all day!

CC-2015-12-Tuna-Carpaccio.jpg

We seared it. I mean, who wouldn't?! :)

Thank you, Neyite, for your lovely recipe!

• Advertisement

Glad you liked it! It's a brilliant starter that.looks fierce fancy and tasty but ridiculously easy to do. ☺️

Advertisement