Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking club Week 34: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken Curry).

• 23-08-2010 3:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

It was my birthday last thursday and to celebrate I cooked for 14 friends at my house. Was fun, they brought drinks and cakes and hugs and all that good stuff and I supplied to food.
    I decided that because it was cooking for a larger than normal amount of people I'd do a curry because it's as easy to do it for 15 as it is for one!
    I used the following recipe. I really enjoy it.

Right for enough to feed 4/5 people you will need the following.

Ingredients
    12 Ripe medium sized tomatoes (plum are best for colour, but it's not massively important)
    6/7 cardamom pods*
    3/4 blades of mace*
    4 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
    Thumb sized piece of root ginger (julienne)
    3/4 Green Chili's (deseeded and julienne)
    5 Chicken Breasts (chopped into bite sized pieces).
    1 teaspoon of Green cardamom powder*
    3 teaspoon of Red Chili powder*
    some Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves).*
    1 500ml tub of natural yogurt
    Tandoori Masala powder*
    Butter... About a 3 tablespoons (no, seriously).
    3 teaspoons of honey.

Instructions!

Step 1.

Pour two thirds of the yogurt into a mixing bowl and all the a couple of heaped teaspoons of Tandoori Masala and mix until it's smooth. Add the chopped chicken pieces and mix through. It will look like this.

axxrps.jpg

Now Put that in the fridge to marinate. Ideally you'd leave it for a few hours, over night would be even better.

Step 2.

Get your tomatoes and cut them into quarters lengthwise and then chop then roughly.
    They should look something like this.

24qnyg3.jpg

Now put them aside for the time being.

Step 3.

Melt about half the butter in a saucepan and when it is fizzing and buddling throw in your garlic, ginger, chilis, mace, cardamom pods and let them cook away at a medium heat for about 2 minutes,

They will look like this

2j29shi.jpg

Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook them on a medium heat for about 25 minutes or until the tomatoes had completely cooked down to a pulpy sauce.

While that is cooking. Get your chicken from the fridge and put it into a roasting dish and cook in a preheated oven at 180c for about 25-30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.

the chicken will look like this, don't worry about the blackened bits, that's just the yogurt a little burned, it's all good.

x6argp.jpg

When the chicken is cooked, get a hand blender and blitz the absolute bejaysus out of tomatoes and spices then pour the whole lot through a sieve into a clean pot/bowl and throw away the tomato skins, ginger fibers, cardamom pod etc which are left in the sieve.

The sauce which comes out the other side. will look like this.

2gv1vdf.jpg

Step 4.

In a clean pot, melt the rest of your butter and then add your sieves tomato sauce. Bring back to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes to make the tomato sauce a little less tart. Then reduce the heat to low and add the teaspoon of green cardamom powder, the chili powder and the rest of the yogurt. Then add your chicken (which you have broken up again, as it tends to stick together when cooked in the yogurt) and let the sauce cook away for another few minutes to let the flavours of the chicken and tadoori masala combine with the tomato sauce, then add the honey.
    Now, add your kasorri Mehti and let it cook for another 2 minutes and you are ready to serve!

I usually just have mine with some Basmati rice or nan bread.

It will look something like this.

316nqkk.jpg

I hope this post hasn't been extremely hard to read. I also apologise for the picture quality, couldn't find my digital camera so had to use my phone.

*Anything with the * at the end can be got in any Indian store. Some of it you might be able to get in Tesco/Superquinn.

Protip:
    When buying your tomatoes, go to your local fruit and veg market and ask them if they have any over ripe/bruised/etc tomatoes and you will take them off their hands for cheap. I got over 3kg of vine tomatoes for €3, I made enough sauce for about 20 people (fed 15 and have about 5 portions in the freezer) and still had about 15 tomatoes left over which were actually in pretty good condition.

Use the ones in worst nick in the sauce and keep the firmer/undamaged ones for eating in sambos/salads etc. Save yourself a small fortune.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thanks to GStormcrow for the resizing advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

God that sounds so amazing! Looks yum too! Damn diet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Seaneh wrote: »
    Erm, how do I make the images smaller?

If a mod wants to jump in there and sort that out, I'd be very grateful.

Looks great Seaneh. You can download a free program called irfanview. Once installed open the image up with irfanview and press Ctrl+R to resize the image. 800x600 should be good for the forum. Then just save and upload the smaller pics.

Alternatively use imageshack.us to upload the images and it gives you the option to resize before you upload them. It will resize them automatically and give you links to the smaller images

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looks great, can't wait to try it. Although you need to sort out the pics.......they're huuuuuuuge!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

quick question, is that green or black cardamom pods you used? I have everything bar the marsala powder, so shall be doing this soon.

I love cooking club

• Advertisement

foodaholic wrote: »
    quick question, is that green or black cardamom pods you used? I have everything bar the marsala powder, so shall be doing this soon.

I love cooking club

Green cardamom pods and green cardamom powder.

The Masala powder is around €1.25 for a 100g bag in most indian food shops, just so you have an idea how much it's gonna cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Excellent, thanks for sharing it.
    I've had cardamom pods for a while, but not had the chance to use them. Will keep an eye out for the other ingredients: Masala powder, Kasoori Methi, etc as I'd need to track them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Looks great, can't wait to try it.

Neither can i ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks great, I am going to do this with Rabbit.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Sweet jebus that looks tasty :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We followed your advice, Seaneh, and got the marinade on the go last night.

And tonight we made it:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7155

Thanks for the lovely recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Looks great!

For some reason I found this very funny!
    Seaneh wrote: »
    get a hand blender and blitz the absolute bejaysus out of tomatoes

Not the usual wording you'd see in a recipe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I managed to find all the spices in my local health food shop....

Just a quick question. I have the chicken marinading in the fridge at the moment. I know already however that I have made too much. Can it be frozen? I'm out for dinner tomorrow and then on holidays so won't have a chance to eat it.

(Will post up pics when it is done).

Thanks

Ah yeah, it all freezes up perfectly. It's actually a great dish to cook ahead.

I'd let it defrost completely in the fridge and then bring it to a slow simmer in a pot for a few minutes rather than nuke it but nuking it is grand too.

It turned out really, really nice... Thanks Seaneh.

Served it with dahl, poppadums and naan as neither of us are big rice people.

4934753288_d2b3204630_m.jpg

Will be making this again, but it took a lot longer (and a lot more dishes) to make then I thought so it will only be done for special occasions!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Those Poppadums, were they pre made or are they they type you make yourself?

I remember you used to be able to get ones that you make yourself in the supermarket. They were little discs that you rubbed with oil and then stuck them in the microwave and they cooked and rose to the normal size.

Anybody know where I could get them?

I bought them and then shallow fried them (although I think you can put them in the toaster also). Just keep an eye on them in the toaster as they tend to burn quickly.

I bought mine in the asian market opposite jervis st., but think I've seen them in tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I made this tonight, went down a treat. OH loved the sauce said it was better than any takeaway so thanks Seaneh

4vg5xv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We had this last night and it lived up to expectations! I like butter chicken when I go to an Indian restaurant so was hoping I'd be able to make a passable imitation at home, and it was delicious!

I managed to track down the fenugreek leaves and cardamom powder, and substituted a little ground nutmeg for mace.

Actually I was a bit haphazard with the old measurements, as I don't like very chilli-hot dishes, and I had about 3 chicken breasts, so wasn't measuring exactly. Maybe more yoghurt would have been good. I thought I had a big tub in the fridge, but my boyfriend has just discovered that granola is lovely and not just "hippy gravel stuff" and that it goes very well with yoghurt...

Anyway, it's going on my "regulars" list of recipes - thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I had a lot of the ingredients for this dish, the only thing I didn't have was cardamom powder and when I couldn't find any anywhere I ground some green cardamom seeds. Unfortunately they over-powered the dish slightly, must be a lot stronger than the stuff you buy so I'm on the hunt so I can try this properly. I had photos but damned if I can find them, if get them I'll edit them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I had a lot of the ingredients for this dish, the only thing I didn't have was cardamom powder and when I couldn't find any anywhere I ground some green cardamom seeds. Unfortunately they over-powered the dish slightly, must be a lot stronger than the stuff you buy so I'm on the hunt so I can try this properly. I had photos but damned if I can find them, if get them I'll edit them in.

imho the problem was not the cardamom seeds being overpowering compared to ground cardamom. the cardamom needs to be balanced with the mace in equal amounts. for the quantaties in this recipe 4tsp of each should be good.
    grinding your own mace and cardamom gives best results.

I ended up making this with pasata instead of whole tomatoes during the week and the difference in colour and taste was insane, much more intense red colour and much motr flavour. I'd imagine it's down to the fact that most tomatoes here are pretty average but it was a noticible difference.

just thought I'd share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

just wondering how much pasata did you use in the recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

this is cooking now!!! Don't have cardamom powder or fenugreek leaves so I hope it's ok without them.

edit: it was totally yum!!! Next time I might make some of olaola's flatbreads to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Made this last night for a dinner party I am having tonight, it tastes amazing but unfortunately the yoghurt has split so it looks a little lumpy :(

Any ideas on how to rescue it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmmm, is mace another name for nutmeg?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, is mace another name for nutmeg?
    No, different parts of the same plant. Nutmegs have the kernel (which you grate, to get ground nutmeg) inside a shell (a bit like a pistachio without the neat split) which is wrapped in a membrane called the mace.

Nutmeg%20%26%20mace%20(aril)%20RT.jpg

The part labeled "seed" is the shell I was talking about, with the kernel inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Can i use nutmeg? :o

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Probably. It will be different, but close enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this lovely recipe a few nights ago, but made with paneer instead of chicken, and with passata instead of fresh tomatoes, like Seaneh's suggestion.

The sauce is fantastic and very much like a good restaurant dish!

CC-2010-34-Murgh-Makhani.jpg

Advertisement