Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest place to purchase tires in Dublin

• 08-09-2005 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Have an NCT next week and need to grt some tires replaced. Just wondering where the cheapest place is to purchase them and have them fitted.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what size of tyre. What kind of performance (wet handling, traction, etc.) are you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

well the car is a vw bora with standard tires, not sure exactly what tires are on it at the moment, will have to check later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I paided 50 quid a tyre for my Passat, the bora prob has same tyres.....I get them off a bloke in Cavan thou!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Hi sgr

I recently got a couple tyres repaired at Butler's Garage in Harolds Cross, they have a huge selection of tyres, very reasonably priced, helpful guys too, you could give them a ring? 4964542

R

What part of Dublin you in? just thought of a place on N3, just after you come off the Blanchardstown/Clonee by pass there is a garage on your left called Mannings, my cousin get all his tyres off them and says they have decent prices! never have bought off them myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭Silvera

Big Nelly wrote:
    I paided 50 quid a tyre for my Passat, the bora prob has same tyres.....I get them off a bloke in Cavan thou!!

Something cheap from 'a Cavan man' ???
    Well I'll be damned ! :D

Silvera wrote:
    Something cheap from 'a Cavan man' ???
    Well I'll be damned ! :D

My moto! never pay full price! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

MercMad wrote:
    Many places will match the prices provided by this site (the sites prices don't include a fitting/balancing cost).
    Get your prices from here and then see if your local tyre centre can match it for the same rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yep I agree. I use this site as a guide but habve never actually bought from them !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I tried to get a tyre fitter to match them and he wasn't even close. So I bought from eiretyres and had the fitter fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I tried to get a tyre fitter to match them and he wasn't even close. So I bought from eiretyres and had the fitter fit them.

Did exactly the same, checked a couple of local places and none could come close on price (kwik-fit said they would but the tyre turned out to be some cheap-ass knock-off "that are exactly the same" :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Same here,have 4 17" tyres ready for fitting (255/40 and 235/45), took 3 days to deliver them too, , no tyre place got remotely near Eiretyres prices, some out by 130 euro!! robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

My last set of tyres (Michelin PS1's) cost €220 fitted per tyre (Kimmage Tyres).
    I decided to get the highly recommended PS2's (225/45/17) this time - reputed to be far superior to PS1's, and one of the best available generally.
    I ordered them from eiretyres.com and they arrived in a couple of days. Relatively speaking, I'm very happy with the €170/tyre cost.
    I just rang Dave McCann tyres of Coolmine (recommended previously on this forum).
    He told me that the vast majority of tyre outfits would only fit tyres supplied by themselves - he likened it to the scenario of showing up at a restaurant with a hunk of beef and asking them to cook it for you :confused:.
    To my great suprise (and disbelief), he said he could have supplied and fitted the same PS2's for €183 (plus a pinch of salt!).
    After some persuasion he agreed (as a favour) to fit and balance the tyres at €15 per tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Isn't there a list of fitters on the eiretyres website?

blastman wrote:
    Isn't there a list of fitters on the eiretyres website?
    Didn't spot that on their site. There are a few mentioned alright. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Roundabout tyres at the Walkinstown roundabout seem to have the cheapest prices around, every time im looking to change my tyres Ill ring around a few garages for prices and there always the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bmoferrall wrote:
    I just rang Dave McCann tyres of Coolmine (recommended previously on this forum)

He replaced my tyres sometime last year. Price was about the same* as Eiretyres plus fitting, but obviously I didn't have to go through the hassle

* After his negotiating with me, someone being kinda aware of prices :)

I'd recommend Dave if you know what you're on about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

kbannon wrote:
    Many places will match the prices provided by this site

Let me know how that works out for you !!

I bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s 225/18/40 off them for 171 quid each.. a normal tyre place would want close on 300 a corner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Big Balls wrote:

He already has, ages ago. Others have done so too. The answer is to find out what the cheapest possible (on-line) option is to get the tyres you need and then negotiate with your local fitter.

In future, please read the posts before you reply

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    He replaced my tyres sometime last year. Price was about the same* as Eiretyres plus fitting, but obviously I didn't have to go through the hassle

* After his negotiating with me, someone being kinda aware of prices :)

I'd recommend Dave if you know what you're on about...
    I guess the key is to be informed beforehand and they will be prepared to negotiate. If it's a tyre they're likely to buy in bulk they'll still make a worthwhile margin on the eiretyres.com price - I think he mentioned he could buy my chosen tyre for €150 in a bulk purchase (and possibly even cheaper in reality).
    Before getting the 220euro/tyre deal (Kimmage Tyres) on my previous set of Michelins, I had to buy one in a local Advance Pitstop outfit (I had driven for a mile or two before realising I had a puncture, resulting in damage to the sidewall). Owing to the circumstances, the chap in attendance offered me a 'special deal' for the single tyre: €320!

Big Balls wrote:

I bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s 225/18/40 off them for 171 quid each.. a normal tyre place would want close on 300 a corner for them.
    As unkle said, I did ages ago.
    I actually got mine off Fast Fit in Coolock and they were either the same or a bit cheaper than going the eiretyres route:-
    IIRC for my goodyear f1s
    front (235/45/17) were about €160
    rear (255/40/17) were about €190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

kbannon wrote:
    rear (255/40/17) were about €190

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I said I paid less than that for 18s on eiretyres so take your own advice maybe unkel Bob???

1. I got my rears about 18months ago and they may have come down in price.
    2. the prices I mentioned were from memory. I don't have the invoice here with me and I may have paid less. However, according to the eiretyres site, Goodyear F1s are €175.50 and as mentioned above they can be balanced and fitted for €15 - the same as I paid for mine but I didn't have the hassle of ttransporting them!
    3. also these on 18" rims (255/40/18) are €283.70 - slightly more than what I paid.

A couple of useful tyre comparison surveys/tests:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252

Goodyear Eagle F1's come out top in both cases.
    (I chose PS2's because of their better performance in the dry, though they are a bit more expensive.)

The F1s are great.
    I did a bit of research before I bought them and as you say they tend to comp top or near top of various tests.
    I have done about 20k miles of hardish driving in a RWD car on them (including 1 track day) and there is still loads of life in them. Plenty of grip (too much?) and longevity combined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

OP, keep the few bob in Ireland, try Keanes in Saggart or Thorntons on South Circular Road. Worth 10 mins of your time and 2 phone calls. Have your tyre sizes to hand, probably 195/65X15 but check the sidewall of the tyres on your car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Zombie thread is a zombie...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement