Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there any iOS equivalent of the swipe keyboards that are available for android devices? They make typing a million times more easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Is there any iOS equivalent of the swipe keyboards that are available for android devices? They make typing a million times more easy.

theres none. Ive been searching since i seen my mate doing it on his htc. Unfortunately apple dont allow that level of customisation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

CMpunked wrote: »
    theres none. Ive been searching since i seen my mate doing it on his htc. Unfortunately apple dont allow that level of customisation. :(

Such a pity,it'd make idevices pretty much perfect.
    Typing feels so last century now I'm used to swiping on my android phone.

Such a pity,it'd make idevices pretty much perfect.
    Typing feels so last century now I'm used to swiping on my android phone.

In the new ios5 apparently there will be old style typing. As in with the numbers. Seems like apple is just going in reverse sometimes. :(

• CMpunked wrote: »

Thats something that bugs me about apple's iOS. Why wont they just listen to customer feedback and write software that has a sensible amount of options for text message alert sounds so that everybody with an iPhone within 20 feet of you doesn't go "is that me?" every time you get a text, or an autocorrect system that doesn't turn "teacups" into "testicles" when you're texting your mother, or any number of other no-brainer customisation options that their stuff STILL, after 4 different major releases, doesn't have.

It's as if they knew they were going to sell a boatload of iPhones and iPads anyway and just didn't care, but all they have to do is look at some of the options on any bog standard nokia or Sony Ericsson to see what their stuff is missing. It's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sensible amount of options for text message alert sounds so that everybody with an iPhone within 20 feet of you doesn't go "is that me?" every time you get a text,
    In iOS 5 you'll be able to download new message alert tones from iTunes.

or an autocorrect system that doesn't turn "teacups" into "testicles" when you're texting your mother, or any number of other no-brainer customisation options that their stuff STILL, after 4 different major releases, doesn't have.

Funnily enough, there is an edit dictionary function coming with the new Ios which will do away with all ridiculous autocorrects.
    Like when i try to type o2 and it says u2! Grrr.

Apple do listen to what the masses want with each major ios update. Look at wallpapers, custom ringtones, multiplayer games, internet tethering.
    These are all things that the likes of android had an advantage over iphone but with each ios update they tackle whatever service they need to adapt.
    and they arent going to give everything that everyone wants in one update. It will be drip fed to us so they will always have something else to release the following year.
    In iOS 5 you'll be able to download new message alert tones from iTunes.
    same as the custom ringtones at the moment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Funnily enough, there is an edit dictionary function coming with the new Ios which will do away with all ridiculous autocorrects.
    I didn't know about this. You'll also be able to create typing shortcuts. Cool!
    same as the custom ringtones at the moment?
    Yeah, but whether they will work the same, I don't know. Hopefully they will as it will mean creating them yourself will be fairly easy and you won't have to buy them from iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah, but whether they will work the same, I don't know. Hopefully they will as it will mean creating them yourself will be fairly easy and you won't have to buy them from iTunes.

I look forward to this. Hopefully, as you say it'l be user customisable and not relying on Apple having a limited number of alerts on iTunes.

/needs his FFVII Victory Fanfare message tone back

• I look forward to this. Hopefully, as you say it'l be user customisable and not relying on Apple having a limited number of alerts on iTunes

All im looking for is an "assign mp3 as ringtone" option, like most other phones have had for about 10 years now. Knowing apple though, that's a little too free of charge for their liking. It doesn't tie in too well with their whole "money grabbing b*st*rds" corporate ethos.;)

I'd like if the notification sounds in other apps were customisable too, like a facebook comment or a viber call or whatever, but i suppose that's asking too much.

• Advertisement

You can already make an mp3 into a ringtone using iTunes. It just takes a little work since it has to be 30 seconds long. Google it.

As for custom notification sounds for apps, isn't that down to developers?

Maxine Flabby Cowboy, this might interest you.
    Very easy to use and well worth 79c;
    Ringtone Designer

• You can already make an mp3 into a ringtone using iTunes. It just takes a little work since it has to be 30 seconds long. Google it.

As for custom notification sounds for apps, isn't that down to developers?

Sorry, i should have said, "mp3 as ALERT tone", not ring tone". That's how i customise all my ringtones, just make them into .m4r files but you can't use a custom file as a message alert tone, not because you can't make it, just cos the OS doesn't have an option to assign it as an alert sound.

Hope they change this in OS5. That and selective multitasking (choosing which apps multitask and which close immediately), as well as fixing the daft autocorrect would be my top 3 requests. Am fed up of typos, and also having to close down every app twice all the time.
    Maxine Flabby Cowboy, this might interest you...Ringtone Designer

Thanks, i prefer to DIY, am fairly computer savvy and ok doing all the editing, converting, etc, but cheers for the link. It'll be useful for anyone who's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ginam2828

Has to be Angry Birds .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ginam2828

I'm new here and I'm trying to get a little advice ... Wanted to post a new thread but it appears I'm unable to do that yet!!

I use an app called KOBO for downloading books onto my iPhone 3GS - their Customer Care Team is usually excellent but for some reason I am not getting a reply to my many emails from them at present. I need to find out how you can re-install a book you've deleted from your library which is showing in your purchases on your Account section back into your library to read again. It didn't download properly the first time so I thought if I deleted it I could just download it again without a problem..... :confused:

Please please help ..... I'm trying to get through a series of books from a particular Author and I'm stuck now!!! I think it might be stuck in limbo because the little downloading icon on the top right hand corner keeps turning as if something is downloading ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭beardo81

Rack Stare is no.3 in the free app section, it's good for a laugh for about 5 minutes, then delete! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Quick question. I'm going to Wales for a few days next week, and was wondering about internet access over there. I have the I phone 4 with Vodafone. When I rang, they said that I can use it no problem, that it will be taken off my 2gb of monthly data. Is this correct? I don't want to be on facebook, and google maps etc for the week, and racking up loads of charges! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

afaik, Meteor are the only network thus far to abolish roaming.

Knowing vodafone, Id say Any surfing you do will be at a premium rate that has nothing to do with your current allowance. Just ring customer care and ask...

• slookie wrote: »
    Quick question. I'm going to Wales for a few days next week, and was wondering about internet access over there. I have the I phone 4 with Vodafone. When I rang, they said that I can use it no problem, that it will be taken off my 2gb of monthly data. Is this correct?

Be very careful of doing that. AFAIK your data allowance won't count towards your usage outside of Ireland and they'll charge you a few euro per megabyte, which will mean you could come back to a bill of well over a hundred euro just for checking emails, fetching updates etc.

Get them to confirm it by email and keep it for your records, or call comreg of you want to check it with them first, don't rely on what a customer service rep says unless you have their full name and the date & time of call.

Best way to avoid the problem is just turn data roaming off in setttings>general>network>data roaming. Everything else will work fine, including wi-fi but your phone won't fetch mobile data and run up roaming charges while you're abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

VIDEO TIME MACHINE

A great little app. You type in the year and it gives you a load of memories from that year like movies, ads, news, tv etc I initially thought it might be full of American stuff but I stuck in 1985 and the first result was the late late show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Anyone have a good App for budgeting? Will be hitting student life soon on a pretty tight budget so would like to have an app to help out!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Be very careful of doing that. AFAIK your data allowance won't count towards your usage outside of Ireland and they'll charge you a few euro per megabyte, which will mean you could come back to a bill of well over a hundred euro just for checking emails, fetching updates etc.

Get them to confirm it by email and keep it for your records, or call comreg of you want to check it with them first, don't rely on what a customer service rep says unless you have their full name and the date & time of call.

Best way to avoid the problem is just turn data roaming off in setttings>general>network>data roaming. Everything else will work fine, including wi-fi but your phone won't fetch mobile data and run up roaming charges while you're abroad.

When I rang customer care, they sent me on the following link. Seems that it will be all free and part of my plan??
    http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/connectabroad/networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pablo0

slookie wrote: »
    Quick question. I'm going to Wales for a few days next week, and was wondering about internet access over there. I have the I phone 4 with Vodafone. When I rang, they said that I can use it no problem, that it will be taken off my 2gb of monthly data. Is this correct? I don't want to be on facebook, and google maps etc for the week, and racking up loads of charges! Thanks

I go over to London a couple of times a month with my Three iphone and use the internet all the time its all part of the package. The minutes, data and texts you use just come out of your monthly allowance there are no extra charges. I'd image thats what vodafone would offer too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

What was that app called that tells you how many texts/minutes you have remaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

consume

• slookie wrote: »
    When I rang customer care, they sent me on the following link. Seems that it will be all free and part of my plan??
    http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/connectabroad/networks

Excellent. Its nice to see a bit of real value in the market. O2 aren't even trying to be competitive anymore. Am looking at switching to 3 after my current contract ends. Unlimited data and no roaming costs at all, it's the same price abroad as at home. Their flexi-units system is much better too. You get a flexi units allowance, each one is 1 min of talk or 2 texts, so you use your allowance as it suits you whether you're a talker or a texter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

I recently changed my sim card with new number. Is there any app that if anyone texts me on my old number that will allow me to receive it on my new sim. Same as eirtext but receiving not sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

been using Data Usage the last few days,tracks your 3G usage and also your WiFi usage aswell,alerts when nearing limit etc.
    79c

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bucks777

Any app out there that will let me use my iPhone as a remote control for tv, sky digital etc be handy when the remotes go missing or on the other side of the room and I'm too lazy to get up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You need a 3rd part IR transmitter as the iphoen doesn't have one built in afaik

Advertisement