Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My spin today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

steamsey wrote: »

The Coillte trails are great for beginners - and this is deliberately done - but why can't they leave the old trails alone and build dedicated beginner ones instead of smoothing out the old ones to make them easier?

Cost, I suppose? The Coillte trails in Ticknock were always intended as beginner trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Even with the bad start to the weather yesterday, got to Ticknock at 1.30pm and it was jammers. What's it going to be like over the summer / when kids are off school etc? Not so many mountain bikers - a few alright but the overwhelming majority were walkers. There is no way a fire engine (who can sometimes respond first) is getting up there. Possibly an ambulance but there's no guarantee - all it takes is one of two bad park jobs.

This happens every year around the Xmas holidays and to the end of January, the place is overrun by people in gym gear and trainers going for walks up to fairy castle.

Although in Djouce yesterday I was cycling along near the fence at the top of the forest beside the road to come across two walkers with all the waterproofs, walking poles the lot, who stepped aside, stopped walking just to let me pass, on a wide unmarked clearing? :confused:

You can tell the real walkers from the couch to 5k gang, who walk across the trails/fireroads 5-a-breast and with the dog(s) on a long lead or running free... Whereas the all year round walkers will have the dog on a short leash and will walk 2 a breast in a line...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This happens every year around the Xmas holidays and to the end of January, the place is overrun by people in gym gear and trainers going for walks up to fairy castle.

Although in Djouce yesterday I was cycling along near the fence at the top of the forest beside the road to come across two walkers with all the waterproofs, walking poles the lot, who stepped aside, stopped walking just to let me pass, on a wide unmarked clearing? :confused:

You can tell the real walkers from the couch to 5k gang, who walk across the trails/fireroads 5-a-breast and with the dog(s) on a long lead or running free... Whereas the all year round walkers will have the dog on a short leash and will walk 2 a breast in a line...

On the real walkers, myself and a mate were heading up a climb yesterday and encountered a walking club. All were walking 2 abreast and even though we were nowhere near an approved "MTB Cycling" forest and on a walking trail, all they said was "Keep going, you are almost at the top!"

Then again, when ever we encounter walkers or other users, we slow the feck down. We don't want to annoy other users.

Edit, oh, almost 500M climbing over 16km, touched 60kph coming downhill. That was fun............

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Was down in ballyhoura again yesterday. Just a quick dart around the brown loop again. Happy with my progress though, getting faster every time I'm out and nearly got PR's for all sections on the second half. Gave the rebound on the front fork a tweak too and felt much better and smoother over most sections. If I get out this weekend I'll tackle the white to build up the mileage in the legs. Nothing major to report trails wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Peter T wrote: »
    Was down in ballyhoura again yesterday. Just a quick dart around the brown loop again. Happy with my progress though, getting faster every time I'm out and nearly got PR's for all sections on the second half. Gave the rebound on the front fork a tweak too and felt much better and smoother over most sections. If I get out this weekend I'll tackle the white to build up the mileage in the legs. Nothing major to report trails wise.

You also have the option of parking in the other carpark at Ballinaboola https://goo.gl/maps/etCg4WCN8eG2 which is right on the white loop. You can skip the brown loop altogether.

• Advertisement

Nice alternative, I'll keep it in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Peter T wrote: »
    Nice alternative, I'll keep it in mind

Just be careful of that upper carpark at Ballinaboola, cars have been broken into, I usually park down at the road entrance.

There are fab natural trails off that side too.

Cool thanks. I could just leave the car in ballyhea and pedal on up from there too. Give the legs a warm up on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Had an eventful spin yesterday at the GAP and then ticknock. We got a few uplifts, I wasn't riding very well so maybe should have reigned in a bit, we went up into ticknock and did a few trails starting with the tractor trail which I made a bags of, then went up metro 2 ( top metro ). It was fun as I am fitter than the last time I went to top metro, then we went down old turfsurfer. Unfortunately while I have cleaned this trail before it seems it has been washed away a lot ( it was 2 years ago ), I was going well enough but probably far too slowly, so I had no momentum to pick the front up. Near the bottom the drops have gotten a lot less rollable... I went OTB and just about got away without any injury. phew. I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Let go of the brakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

xxyyzz wrote: »
    You also have the option of parking in the other carpark at Ballinaboola https://goo.gl/maps/etCg4WCN8eG2 which is right on the white loop. You can skip the brown loop altogether.
    I only discovered that about 2 weeks ago :o

Must try using it as a start point some time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

Spent Saturday afternoon on the red trail at Kilbroney near Rostrevor Co. Down for my first experience of MTB with a few mates (all 50+ non or occasional road bikers). We rented hardtail bikes and got the uplift. As an introduction to mountain biking, I thought it was awesome. Can't compare the location to anywhere else, but it was exactly what I wanted. A trail that was easy to follow, no terrifying downhills, but still technically challenging for a beginner, and incredibly scenic. We arrived in afternoon so couldn't complete the loop, but I willd definitely be back there to do it again, as the place is so accessible from North Dublin.

Down in Ballyhoura yesterday. Went off and did the white loop so basically almost double the distance I've gone previously. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Some spots are a bit rough on a hardtail but I'd imagine a bit more speed would help. Plenty of climbing, didn't help that I went up the fire road at post 18 to skip that nasty section only to find them tree felling at the other end. Detour all the way down and back up the hill following the green trail and home. All done in reasonable time and wasn't in bits at the end so a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It'll be great when the new loop goes in at Ballyhoura, I think it's a 12km loop and is going to be more technical than what is currently there. It's badly needed because the brown loop is a pure slog once you go past the log.

32 km and a bit over 800m of climbing around glendalough.

Cool to start but the wind had dried most of the trails out so a lot more grip than expected on the roots and stuff.

Some ace fast flowing trails up there.

Still running the tyres with too much pressure, wide but soft rims so I drop a few psi before each spin as I'm finding that sweet spot.

Also having to change how I cycle, the bike is set up for a lot more weight over the front wheel and I'm having to up the brave pills as years of hanging off the back of the bike have to be ignored.

Now to paint the bedroom :(

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It'll be great when the new loop goes in at Ballyhoura, I think it's a 12km loop and is going to be more technical than what is currently there. It's badly needed because the brown loop is a pure slog once you go past the log.

Be nice to have a shorter trail packed with more action alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did the Blitz in Ballinastoe this morning.

Cool & dry, plenty of grip.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Did the Blitz in Ballinastoe this morning.

Cool & dry, plenty of grip.

Was there a good turnout?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

maddness wrote: »
    Was there a good turnout?

Yeah, flat out.

125 in baggy shorts alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭covey123

Quote: xxyyzz

Be nice to have a shorter trail packed with more action alright.

Any word on the plans for the new trail and what it might feature?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took the old hack up to Ticknock today, following the track on the first cul de sac just past Lamb Doyles. I thought the paved bit was steep until I got to the unpaved bit which was way beyond my ability to cycle for the most part. Was well pleased to find the official MTB trails which were altogether more manageable. Total novice when it comes to MTB and was a tad nervous on some of the rocky bits descending, but enjoyed it thoroughly. Hitting 54 next week, so leaving it a bit late to get into this lark, but you can only start from where you're at.

smacl wrote: »
    Took the old hack up to Ticknock today, following the track on the first cul de sac just past Lamb Doyles. I thought the paved bit was steep until I got to the unpaved bit which was way beyond my ability to cycle for the most part. Was well pleased to find the official MTB trails which were altogether more manageable. Total novice when it comes to MTB and was a tad nervous on some of the rocky bits descending, but enjoyed it thoroughly. Hitting 54 next week, so leaving it a bit late to get into this lark, but you can only start from where you're at.

One of the best in our club is over 60 so you’re grand at 54!

smacl wrote: »

Madmtb run intro/beginner spin on the last Saturday of the month.

Ace way to get some tip, skills like line choice and weight placing etc, linking trails together and have a bit of a natter.

You're well able to pedal so its like a turbo trainer for mtb.

Got my last whip in around ballyhoura yesterday before the blitz this weekend. All good and got around in a time that wasn't bottom of the barrel on last years results so happy out and expecting to pull in a few minutes on the day so looking forward to the day out. The detour is still in place with tree felling going on. After this weekend I'll be heading for some other trails for a change. Nagle mountains is close so might take a look up around there

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Was at Djouce on Sunday for the first time since the Enduro last year. Really enjoyed it. Not sure of all the names but did 4 of the 2018 Enduro stages. Trails were riding very well - and plenty of bikers about. It's such a great place to ride - some very technical bits plus jumps all over the place and then a few short but flat out sections. Always forget how steep it is at Djouce.

We found a fecking see saw in one place - looks like it was built for a bike. Good fun. Anyone else see this? It's pretty well built and clearly put there for bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was at Djouce on Sunday for the first time since the Enduro last year. Really enjoyed it. Not sure of all the names but did 4 of the 2018 Enduro stages. Trails were riding very well - and plenty of bikers about. It's such a great place to ride - some very technical bits plus jumps all over the place and then a few short but flat out sections. Always forget how steep it is at Djouce.

We found a fecking see saw in one place - looks like it was built for a bike. Good fun. Anyone else see this? It's pretty well built and clearly put there for bikers.

I think Djouce is a great place, it has something for everyone, plenty of options with a mixture of mellow enough trails, steep stuff and handy climbs between them (bar the red road). Always feel like I've had a good workout after a spin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

That seesaw is great fun except when it's all wet and slimy and you skid off the sides!!!!
    jvan wrote: »
    I think Djouce is a great place, it has something for everyone, plenty of options with a mixture of mellow enough trails, steep stuff and handy climbs between them (bar the red road). Always feel like I've had a good workout after a spin there.
    The red road is an absolute killer. I always feel like I'm going to die two thirds of the way up it but I love the trails that run from the top so its a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

See saw needs to be hit at the right speed, too fast can make a harsh landing. Too slow.. not pretty either :) leads into a great trail

• Advertisement

K Capital Cup Rd1 - typical Seymour tech course, enjoyed it but I need to race instead of plod.

Bit cold.

Advertisement