Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slieve Bloom trail centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Good jib! wrote: »
    @iwillhtfu

Which bits did you do? The last I heard there was only a 4km section open.

The official trail if it is 4km must be accounting for the uphill section aswell as the down part is maybe 1km at a push. Now keep in mind it was my first time up there so I may have missed something but I don't think so.

I climbed up the fire road to the top of the hill and found some of the unofficial trails which ended up bringing me back down to the the fire road climb of the official trail network. I then went up to the start of what I assume is the officially open trail and took a wander up along the unopened trails which to be fair to the builders they get better as you walk up.

I walked up to the point the trail was no longer being cut in presumably to stop folks using the trail although this isn't working as trails are clearly being used. Although poor form to be honest it doesn't seem to impacting trails to much.

I'll dig out some pics and add them but they're not the best.

covey123 wrote: »
    Could you stick up some of those pics anyway?

A few pics I took and keep in mind I wasn't out on a photography spin just a few things that caught my attention there were other features such as berms etc that were done well which I didn't take pictures of. All the blue paint seems to be planned alterations to the trails which look to be making them less straight line and more slalom like.

I'll probably take another spin up there over the next few weeks I'll try get better pics. I've also heard rumour that there are more trails further up the hill but I didn't see those or any sign of them. I also didn't see any of the BPI signs which I saw posted on FB so that'll give an indication as to how observant I was being. :D

A shame they didn't incorporate that natural drop off behind the unfinished bridge.

WhsiFISdUsjLcuV-0Vj4C4e2o83kfw1e7kytU_5d3MjxenE_rTehG0okBQNJPd6WFE5jY3d3dRzsa4egu1w_YyKhV_NzRMcsPO1tVFfG1v2Pmmb8UlIM5qhjyGbaB8fzeX7ayau3RClHjSzQLyNmuKr7uovh0TYDbzm7FL_I0Tui7lzAVFxJa8Q0N2LOC7TZ-FlerIEs-TziFEa2wDwuQi3AmvnNcoNnWNotH-b3O39OTe5GdgL1MqN3NlcU4-gTj5rdzJ1QeMYvtLXM09_gsDI7FT5Qm_0aAIINpG6v_LVyXoKLUSFtJMvCfzlzHoUXidmB8JCcp8EIRTjJPAqGCwrAi06wRRmfqxzamCWQ5xKdMqhJZmPMKFaQkub1eQXWbE47CtsHw0AHOI03279cyx9uTmAFclbdL4KX0GLQlYjtr6Sz6FRqz6TZ0-mcwv0KjWqHGtvcxyvuppmpGbPf_bIIXxY2jNsKKjwsEn5CcUNt-enDVClLSstKcr3Yxd0Xp_piChqfrv6uLQV3njQUswn5QCzO4LFidUKcYhTmnKOBBzcxn6Sa80_H3ssITZmEPO7pMk9gwmBffNUgJSJSS4wOgzOW4KgTGgHcdbWAL5CyLoUhYapwPaDwHe4xuImCQFqXWYQY-t_9eyd0X04WAE6cCRpEW6zE8ZdFeJgMRm_3Ejv7WavTAMQVaIZbP05UiG8IFw32plps9LaWb-eIkpeFlg=w1366-h665-no

Surface hard packed gravel not entirely terrible probably nasty to take a tumble on.

qERqXd79rsO7MHUhJsM_VvYT5BBUN5mR5cjtHB20lvE367bocX1f-EmJ-IJVsq3ALzUf7itZ4A4kPXe9vfdCHfRH8lWUAFPyWueS-hAjcg1IOECN12d5_MXDnjOer0o_WTmA6V0ew8uDcPLNPhKXsjbma91Lbs9fw-lIqIQHlUYYGFG5UM6CpUGpavQmenwbIqnm34pY9BVT1vxLdmbrSndyQANfr-qg77NEdoGntSlRe4hxCW4vODQL-d18TcOV6F1PnanYxBUJN61HOu2S3-XTS_hEyr9ugrHCJ2ZCn8KzNA562dTRpoVG1ku9MjY3l4JKv7hf_LFs38TSmZdffi22HckyBkke7A-Cw-_Lo80_QD0IGKFZjbbvbW9JtKxU9i4_Vt4jjXbimpwWJlDThqOqou3plWaAbBUUWvJw0AN3w8uyA3VwXBkxELr0yQs-Dnv7G7z-TqGUiOCQdm8Jw61rgGdRx-ATX_QaFnlVEdymQwiUe9JA3uKQfRhnw3qm-Dvbk2_Z6X5CYr7orQ53Qu7YH1Ronx8Mc0lkMRw6Q4IEEx3qDmL_oaxR1AVQvhXCSucO38USZ4aq64OmlKm34JOhV-6nxJE_L8tCZ-AxmyGQ7NaB8r3N3MvPM3scdfOYzqbGawYei7HorAuJrgFWMtXFG0yNqDgSjjI7a90gF9E0S0Hjw02JJhQbICxAo2rh9AYdAlw8K3mciNMUOEertW5seg=w1366-h665-no

I can't recall why i took this perhaps a double.

kmwVuOWGVSfmoVBQ6lxsn6z2_cSUk_xI4R2tFnOgoswRK8n8xJBU-NZ74pg6p2o3sglL_1ACPdrE5eH8TdXx6C_I9eoW5SGpctdtrvr2WLfVEghSItz2hSa2wIryYdmEZ-e252IlbdiKcjR4IhqSPLJ4srbAbIwE-0KoSb5uXgFnT8iye0_K5E9hD2X_qxjDl92_IgvtnMljvEOD8wXpsBYW3Iaqxf8OEAGjQCCvDN5IN74O7NK4kkGszha1rrxP1YxVKn2so_W2qvxo9KHovkm39mkY2mM_jZH8fgYtf5jPHr37vDvZ0vqOyzVSxE6F7FyPSgGbjd9R10mVLC9Vje_e6WzYFgUF2eEUDbqio7Vu7MSYBICCcT42LttXaJI20jkqg_PGCV8p6hapAzXOBAm4WdoDT7f-HZYktKOTeRYDx4xVsBnh2v1EHNe5nCqp9sD7qRKNYkufY8ToDuuETUnx5lSkN6gsypeb0yHLtYIEvO7dwLRBPqRVuY8IQ5CNzPc3nxQV-UF6B5IfR1zTIYF9SAvX8p55s_RiFkN5JjQTrPWh4J5wzaAK-Ybq-7J6vznf2VFyM5CiJM22JT1jRLk___3BB_Mfaw7y4EvfcCt9JC_qOjlSYQhTetX03HArYXG5HGEdcnaTadbdizUGqd-nD_L3KSaq9y_sF76sm-J1sBbZ9RATpu1z7C0Hh64IbU7y-3Ye0o0Et1srFxhMXKthAg=w326-h669-no

A nice little rolling piece that could be doubled.

top down

xPucpY0c9nQFsjsAL6OGoIGUUNNqhnVbLB-C3JlGgTZHS2C73Z0Qu0ao7JB6TSJpjuTdZxchXt6wkqN16XJv3819gmzstYcmQ6JpEBT7Vqwjb_3P27I4zaUtjgeLT8vVfeywQ75n3yx6RNnaBz9iOX9f1TlbtV7SXbNexKpP4JpT1XqiKosbn3BFkb7r85-jZB89MT25kNvmZNx9yyKrlloU6rab2teEBgFx1cZmGF0udfETXRyQQ_HndQLPSfVSGTaSOLvxGJ9wnPzl9szreCzy5r632UhtOTTozW4e-ekgXg_i64mBItJq5cnuNzVNlpRZlg8G-sMouwenjDq8N5bHSQeEAWtJAJ-FLGoN6fBE0rWbt8AO_DVSDNQAvARAHrXQxx27_H0NTqnLiPWBUQTjvuj4gtKOTRy94msv7OC0luepi77YPb6nPu7TEokZik0ikkTJnqTOj3oebPEyF73wko4LoWGO9L_JlIpW0AO6A7D0zEPmx7r_kkfQIacGUJe4Nzay5B6XixdRkY-_kcvXnuo2V9woVs1fuKs2Q9sRNtJRYDPGBG5c2GW_v7NYZazHPscLTjLq-m90wklEyG_6GHjajpDeiuYXYT1bgJpENzH09CBu-8zl9NU_KOz2ogVB6FMPGCw3Ot_CzjkCWzdJrn-WBTbzAQY6rXr7y_zWQvsoQFniz-YDE34pzhDl9szoLpmcnoCymPDjCVmQOMpmiQ=w1366-h665-no

Bottom up

29rufh8W9sU6j0WEInEpegHYS5tU0_Cj5GdtKQJkRU4PSd_zTBNLE3FcevxScDWfTO-dzHlXFGqExoKX3fzTXsaQ9JK8K2Jlran87H4InfU539TAnNhqAi14GRcFwb_HWC8GwEywI-AXblCPEhzQw-YPgf722fn9-lrSZcKp_ytbUgT5UxRsdxW7z4iacLma8cDYYwoTbaZlx4z9fv8e68cFUxDBDp4aEBwng8DGTWBydUEbw6REWZPZ1shBmrrCcpYBZ0SGErREYhnfnMWb-AYqEkm3AHYnlEugfOT57m88H7wmUcUIl72iVwu6CxC611AmShvIw14-1pNoB6tFh_mkrDaFTZ8wSNOD6bVYieUPZzxYGW8tDiJdVMYGscqjbtRpogjB6gY17Ndf4AQrLUtfs08kGfOJagUtM_fdNxahwxrYgrIUP-A95JA0ySRLWeDAd1WA8wqq4-kVsWGF8M0HT1OOgcJa6JI7uA_wBbfGi_Q2mB3E6y6VvYzPvcLXbjFhxmVPN20w-3kUR3CpvomPTof0GhCzIM2A44D0hOtkok943KbeOUtduM2rs3QUNw-VVi615Hff9TK0w810NacLNL-PtQf0s8Cb3V5g3vSBTiYPNIga5MMMUlEJfxK71LoBVb9T7j5_eaU7D03uDzbsljAC1d1NsVBoDPj2cTWyvQKozF08KjJ7FvuXngCCmnqNKTAP1kmR9HlErxvjPdCxiQ=w1366-h665-no

The top of this particular trail you can see the number of tyre marks and unfortunately this section looks freshly cut so will get thorn up. An indication of some of the berms which are done quite well in places.

l2e7P2dZshbjdnHVrljCtlu2CmejXUN8sup8H8MUml2nilAVpjcL_bXdxb5o2HCXuAHpz_f022EexGtwz0-m4SPQ5_8L9qRto6UdLwlxUqzimL433zQiygU3uWCILmn7VS33JJq4p32MYcvr_F7TPWx15U1lZ9Mfh-8y7G4g89PLCYngh2vj5dDZRnWaZxlcn8h9VHIbf030IZlxD-DHC5Z_2PR7N8yfYnk1qau1uLw3s4fTJp4_IvvwEaZt6i026fKzJ9QLXDHRdCEsFseMyX-Xz8YE5Xt2BYfNt3M6NTAp-obTsIvW3ZA0OFr2JI_GXqL8TMo4bEDvsDCloAy3m2c-wxCKj-UhCYQOS-zW8bL7txk4sWkWgdvDG4OwVNFFFPHiENJjlyfMlPLrTG7f5JOB-LpCZtfu3Ukk0FxWovCBf86MNFQXckneyG-4yrBE7qFqVYCd7ZwOVRVHK_DaM6ygdY0uw-X78XIhXJbsIX5t1_QDMIBP0YVsmiNVK0PEyvKBN46ZQfb9kHd2Ta7X0oHGhYbTqkEfod2nlP725c4QwNm0Lq2h6u_VJD-dRVvFoVoxWRcjAEcPGN1c6b82RusAWgH3GrIKF5QEsURFAvo4iPVijcSh1HHrAKioE2gHsm-gK9z5H08fga2LaDX6AxECDaUoMAUnZyE9NZI6UN9VCO_7ejWr98FO-5D43WQPtzJBqMeADaUuOvnl556rjOAVRg=w1366-h665-no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looks alrite, though I don't fancy having to get across that bridge if there's a wind out.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Iwillhtfu, now that you've tried the trails how far would you travel before you'd deem them not worth visiting?

I know there's not much open but if it was longer with the same sort of finish would you travel far to go there?

rizzodun wrote: »
    Iwillhtfu, now that you've tried the trails how far would you travel before you'd deem them not worth visiting?

I know there's not much open but if it was longer with the same sort of finish would you travel far to go there?

The short bit that's open I wouldn't travel to at all only ride if passing.

I'd probably travel (1 hour from me) to explore the unofficial trails a bit more as it's a nice place for a spin although possibly not more than once.

Even if they opened up the entire section I walked I wouldn't be travelling far to ride that one trail. They seriously need to get at least another 5-6 trails set up before I'd consider it a destination.

The GAP is an hour one way and the Slieve blooms an hour the other I'd rather pay for an uplift day at the gap than travel to the free trail in the blooms. Which had me thinking the other day if they actually turned it into a viable business with job creation etc would they be more inclined to complete it and make it into a proper bike park. I for one wouldn't mind paying a price for a decent bike park.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Looks alrite, though I don't fancy having to get across that bridge if there's a wind out.. ;)

Certainly one for the MacAskills out there. Who'd have thought an unfinished feature would be the most challenging one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    rizzodun wrote: »

The short bit that's open I wouldn't travel to at all only ride if passing.

I'd probably travel (1 hour from me) to explore the unofficial trails a bit more as it's a nice place for a spin although possibly not more than once.

Even if they opened up the entire section I walked I wouldn't be travelling far to ride that one trail. They seriously need to get at least another 5-6 trails set up before I'd consider it a destination.

The GAP is an hour one way and the Slieve blooms an hour the other I'd rather pay for an uplift day at the gap than travel to the free trail in the blooms. Which had me thinking the other day if they actually turned it into a viable business with job creation etc would they be more inclined to complete it and make it into a proper bike park. I for one wouldn't mind paying a price for a decent bike park.
    It's a trail center though, it was never going to be for gravity riding. There's room for both, I still enjoy a spin around ballyhoura every now and then especially during the winter when you want to get a few miles in the legs on weather proofed trails. Having said that, there is definitely scope for making the trail center a lot more exciting.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It's a trail center though

The problem is it isn't. At the minute it's just a half opened trail that's taken at least a year if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's a trail center though, it was never going to be for gravity riding. There's room for both, I still enjoy a spin around ballyhoura every now and then especially during the winter when you want to get a few miles in the legs on weather proofed trails. Having said that, there is definitely scope for making the trail center a lot more exciting.

Same could be said for both Ballinastoe and Ticknock. Whats there is fine but doesn't be long about getting repetitive. They definitely need to be catering for a wider variety of abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The problem is it isn't. At the minute it's just a half opened trail that's taken at least a year if not longer.

Just to add to this, I find this notion of "oh it's just a trail centre" to be missing not just the boat but the peer, booking office, and travel agency all at the same time.

At risk of sounding a bit repetitive, this keeps coming back to the "we want to compete against internationally well established trail networks for tourism" malarky. Why? Glentress & Innerleithen - to pick two very well known international rivals in Scotland - are "just trail centres" and they are used often for national Enduro races. You will find more than a few squeaky bum moments on those "just trail centres", and you can be riding them within two hours of getting off a 45 minute flight from Dublin to Glasgow (to include getting out of the airport).

Trail centres should be catering to as wide an audience as their topography, aided by some creative and clever trail design & building if need be, will allow. Anything else is a missed opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

We need a National Mountain Biking Strategy. Bring all the key groups together and build trails that serve every level. Everyone seems to agree that the official public trails are very beginner focused - which is not the way to progress the sport.

But would you travel from another country to ride Ballinastoe or Ticknock? The trails being built in Slieve Blooms or other places were supposed to bring 'international tourism' hence why I asked, it's not to do with the length open, I asked because if you judge what's there, and assume that they will be the sort of trails that will be in place, would you travel from afar to visit?

To be honest at this stage I couldn't give a monkeys, I have to go up there every 2 or 3 weeks to visit the in laws and up til now BPI kept me away from the mother in law for the day. If they build a Greenway at this stage I'll take it. Besides, the natural stuff there is pretty good so once they open up the rest, I'll be happy, tourists be damned 😄

To be honest at this stage I couldn't give a monkeys

I'm with you on that one, couldn't give a Fig roll about the "national" trail centre... or any of them, I only go to Ticknock because it's in Dublin not because it's good or interesting.. I may go to see this new trail centre if it ever gets built, but once I've seen it I probably won't use up the Diesel to get to it again..

It's a shame to see Coillte make cut n paste trail centres and spend(waste) all that money, would rather see money going to the MTB clubs to maintain and build trails that actual Mountain bikers want to use every day...

To be honest at this stage I couldn't give a monkeys, I have to go up there every 2 or 3 weeks to visit the in laws and up til now BPI kept me away from the mother in law for the day. If they build a Greenway at this stage I'll take it. Besides, the natural stuff there is pretty good so once they open up the rest, I'll be happy, tourists be damned 😄

I'm with you on that one, couldn't give a Fig roll about the "national" trail centre... or any of them, I only go to Ticknock because it's in Dublin not because it's good or interesting.. I may go to see this new trail centre if it ever gets built, but once I've seen it I probably won't use up the Diesel to get to it again..

It's a shame to see Coillte make cut n paste trail centres and spend(waste) all that money, would rather see money going to the MTB clubs to maintain and build trails that actual Mountain bikers want to use every day...

Well when in a few years we're back here complaining about the lack of investment in mountain biking compared to other countries, with the reasons we're being given as "sure the last time we spent millions and it didn't give any return" we can all be happy as to the real reasons why.

Pity the people actually kicking up about it are being branded as difficult and unreasonable.

Finally hit the new trail with the family today and it's not all that bad. It's definitely fairly tame but there's plenty of flow with a few little rollers and tabletops. One corner is pretty badly done alright where you come in hot. It's very loose and badly needs a berm as all the preceding corners have loads of support. This pic is the bottom of a section not opened yet but it looks good.

Kinnitty https://imgur.com/gallery/i0dLU95

Looks like a great place for a Sunday drive! :D

I think when they're new like that, they're very raw looking, once the greenery comes back they'll start looking more natural. Also I'd imagine the old saying of trails never looking as steep on videos or photos is also true here.

Problem is they don't look like MTB trails, they look like a nice new place to walk..

Still happens in Ticknock a lot, people out wandering along the MTB trails oblivious even though there's been trails there for years....

It looks they've done some work since I was up there the stone looks fresh.
    prunudo wrote: »
    I'd imagine the old saying of trails never looking as steep on videos or photos is also true here.

The trail isn't steep at all it more of a flow trail

• Advertisement

The trail isn't steep at all it more of a flow trail

I was trying to be optimistic as possible :D

Regarding walkers on the trails, have mentioned it to the lads in the hunt in Ballinastoe too, that a few bike only signs wouldn't go a miss.

To be fair the signage is very good up in kinnitty, it's blatantly obvious it's a MTB trail.

To be fair the signage is very good up in kinnitty, it's blatantly obvious it's a MTB trail.

Signage is one thing, and you can never have enough in places like Ticknock and Ballinastoe, however if the trails looked less like walking trails then we don't need to have such great signage to tell people it's a MTB trail....

Signage is one thing, and you can never have enough in places like Ticknock, however if the trails looked less like walking trails then we don't need to have such great signage to tell people it's a MTB trail....

To be fair as much as they look to be a walking path it's pretty obvious they're intended for MTB even without the signs.

As said though the signage is very good and walking trails are clearly marked also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

And almost 2 months on, still we wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

And almost 2 months on, still we wait.

It's ridiculous at this stage. How many times has the opening been delayed at this stage? At least before they were communicating - not a word now for months. I'd imagine the bike hire people down there are livid!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Is there even some of the trails open to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

covey123 wrote: »
    Is there even some of the trails open to the public?

4km ish i believe. Not worth traveling for that.

4km ish i believe. Not worth traveling for that.

There's plenty of good natural stuff there if you're strava-savvy, I wouldn't say it's not worth the trip.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of good natural stuff there if you're strava-savvy, I wouldn't say it's not worth the trip.

I'm sure in this context it means "not worth the trip" for the trail center they're building...

Advertisement