Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else able to divine for water

Options
  • 06-07-2016 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭

When we were getting a well sunk here a few years ago.
    The owner of the drilling rig first dowsed/divined for the water underground using two pieces of electric fence wire.
    To get the best place to drill he first found where one stream was running and then found another stream and where the two streams crossed over we drilled the well. We found water at a dept of 80ft and there is a very good flow from it.

Any way before we drilled he said to my father do you want to try and he handed the wires to him and sure enough the wires crossed in the same places in the field as the drill owner did. Then I tried it and it worked for me as well.

If you want to do it. Cut two pieces of mild electric fence wire exactly the same length. Bend it in an L shape with the bit that sticks out is longer than the bit in your hands. Hold the wires loosely (but still have contact like a hinge) in your hands so that a breath of wind would turn the rods. Face the rods straight ahead in front of you and don't think of anything and walk very slowly. Sometimes one rod will move out to the side (that just means that it's that way). But when the rods both turn in to the centre then you've found it.

So call me mad. Not bothered.:D
    So can anyone else here divine or dowse for water ( or electric cables, some can do that as well)???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    The owner of the drilling rig first dowsed/divined for the water underground using two pieces of electric fence wire.
    To get the best place to drill he first found where one stream was running and then found another stream and where the two streams crossed over we drilled the well. We found water at a dept of 80ft and there is a very good flow from it.

Any way before we drilled he said to my father do you want to try and he handed the wires to him and sure enough the wires crossed in the same places in the field as the drill owner did. Then I tried it and it worked for me as well.

If you want to do it. Cut two pieces of mild electric fence wire exactly the same length. Bend it in an L shape with the bit that sticks out is longer than the bit in your hands. Hold the wires loosely (but still have contact like a hinge) in your hands so that a breath of wind would turn the rods. Face the rods straight ahead in front of you and don't think of anything and walk very slowly. Sometimes one rod will move out to the side (that just means that it's that way). But when the rods both turn in to the centre then you've found it.

So can anyone else here divine or dowse for water ( or electric cables, some can do that as well)???

Exactly as you describe....I do it for buried water pipes...great little trick....don't know why it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

pedigree 6 wrote: »

Can do it with three eggs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have a brother that can do it . He can find water pipes and cables. He uses welding rods. Guy in here one day on a digger showed him how to do it.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Can do it with three eggs.....

Explain yhe egg trick Mickey...

alps wrote: »
    Explain yhe egg trick Mickey...

Get three fresh eggs,
    Carefully put them so that two eggs are vertical and one is horizontal with the top and bottom vertical eggs holding the horizontal.
    Walk around.........
    If there's water, the egg will spin. The better the source, the faster it will spin.
    I'll do it at the wknd and take a video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I can do it but I use an egg laid on the first night of a full moon and a piece of dental floss.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

I used it to find water pipes a few times even though it worked and I was able to trace the pipes I don't think I would be confident enough in my skills to spend a few thousand drilling a well. The first time a guy showed me how to do it there was five of us but it only worked for two of us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Nidge Murphy

When will people realise you will find water while drilling regardless of location or these experts marking the spot. Do these experts take into account that a drilling rig don't drill straight down?
    This thread is pure high stool stuff, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,417 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Alucan wrote: »
    I used it to find water pipes a few times even though it worked and I was able to trace the pipes I don't think I would be confident enough in my skills to spend a few thousand drilling a well. The first time a guy showed me how to do it there was five of us but it only worked for two of us

A neighbour can do it as well. Yea he does it to find buried water pipes and he's never wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

When will people realise you will find water while drilling regardless of location or these experts marking the spot. Do these experts take into account that a drilling rig don't drill straight down?

This method works.....widely used to find buryed pipes/cables on small sites around here

If you have cable buried coming into your house....walk across the grass with two wires facing forward....they'll turn and cross when your over the cable/waterpipe

God some people get very upset if you can't understand a thing.

This is where I got the idea for starting the thread and just to see if anyone else can do it. Sorry boards a rival forum.
    https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/divining-or-whatever-you-call-it.127788/

This method works.....widely used to find buryed pipes/cables on small sites around here

If you have cable buried coming into your house....walk across the grass with two wires facing forward....they'll turn and cross when your over the cable/waterpipe

I spent several hundred euro on a CAT for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I spent several hundred euro on a CAT for nothing.

Well emm no :confused:

But it is a widely used method tbh....I'd be somewhat surprised if you were in a position to be using said equipment that you hadn't come across it and know of relative accuracy??

Only ever seen it used to locate wires/pipes never at springs etc as we've a different belief system for them and draining etc

Should I sell the CAT tomorrow and buy two welding rods?

You will have to buy a packet of welding rods .:)

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

You will have to buy a packet of welding rods .

You can get the cast iron rods separately, so he could get away with jus two rods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Should I sell the CAT tomorrow and buy two welding rods?

Swap you a full box of welding rods (unopened) for the CAT...!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Get three fresh eggs,
    Carefully put them so that two eggs are vertical and one is horizontal with the top and bottom vertical eggs holding the horizontal.
    Walk around.........
    If there's water, the egg will spin. The better the source, the faster it will spin.
    I'll do it at the wknd and take a video.

was out in africa years ago, a fella from tipp did the egg trick, the locals were mesmerized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I do it to find pipes underground.

I don't believe it works.

But it does anyway:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I do it to find pipes underground.

I don't believe it works.

But it does anyway:pac:

It seems to work really well for detecting water pipes.

Sank a well here a few years ago and the lads drilling didn't think much of the practice. Also neighbour divined before sinking well and both spots divined hadn't sufficient supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

i can do it, i use a light hazel branch shaped like a y, both the y pieces are held by the hands with both thumbs facing each other so that it almosts resemble a t junction, i have to hold the rod away from me as when it finds something it jumps up voilently, the first few times i used it i got a fair whack in the face from it

yewtree wrote: »
    It seems to work really well for detecting water pipes.

Sank a well here a few years ago and the lads drilling didn't think much of the practice. Also neighbour divined before sinking well and both spots divined hadn't sufficient supply.
    not every one has the knack of finding a good spring, any of the companys sinking wells go down to the water table.

funny how all the old creamerys were built alongside a major spring

What I don't get is, if it works and I have seen it work, why is it not scientifically proven to work?
    All it would take is, bury some water pipe under ground and let diviners find it. Very simple test to do under proper supervision.

What I don't get is, if it works and I have seen it work, why is it not scientifically proven to work?
    All it would take is, bury some water pipe under ground and let diviners find it. Very simple test to do under proper supervision.

No idea, the three methods I know of is, eggs, hazel Y stick amd steel wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

what I find fascinating is : when the drillers divine for water , they seem
    to find the best spot is just inside a gate with hardcore and plenty room to
    maneuver their rig. (call me an old skeptic)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

mikeymouse wrote: »
    what I find fascinating is : when the drillers divine for water , they seem
    to find the best spot is just inside a gate with hardcore and plenty room to
    maneuver their rig. (call me an old skeptic)

I'm a young skeptic with a plan to drill a well in a bit ouf ground where I hope to build a house in future. at the moment the water for the sheep is coming from a stream that dries up during (normal) summer dry patches but if you follow it up stream there'd be a flow.

for practical reasons(gravity flow) i'd like the well drilled at the top of the ground but i'd be a bitch to get a rig there!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

jfh wrote: »
    was out in africa years ago, a fella from tipp did the egg trick, the locals were mesmerized.

Christ he was lucky not to be tied to a pole and burned for witchcraft !!!

• Advertisement

It must be down to electro magnetism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

You take why does it work with metal rods/ wire. It must be to do with the conductivity of metal. The same could be said for hazel rods (in that the water in the hazel rod conducts charge/electricity).

You take when divining with wire. There must be a slight electrical/magnetic pull on the wire maybe making one negative charge and the other positive charge to make them pull in together. Then to make the two wires to repel one another the two of them must have the same charge positive or negative.

It might also explain how it can find electric cables. Not sure if the cables have to be live to find them but the metal in itself would give a magnetic draw anyway.

Then with finding water pipes. Water is a good conducter of charge/electricity.
    But it might give off more charge when running hitting the sides of the pipe and building up more charge.

Then with some people able to do and others not. There is a difference in bodies in people.
    My uncle can grab any electric fence and join it together again without turning it off and it has no effect on him. He just says he'd barely feel the current in the fence. He was out in nz and a farmer was showing him a great new fencer he had that was doing 700 acres. He grabbed the fence and jokingly said to the farmer are you sure it's on. Your man couldn't get over how he could hold it and have no effect on him. Then you have myself and my father even with the fence turned on low here if we touched it we'd fall over.:pac:

Anyhow was just thinking about it when I was tidying up a few paddocks this morning. Too much time on me hands.:)

Advertisement