Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring lamb prices

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

sako 85 wrote: »
    Believe it or not Ashford was also my local Mart and I see you live near the same place as I do. I wouldn't worry about numbers at all, I only had 8 spring lambs and 8 cast ewes. It was the first time I had used this particular agent but he was very happy to get the call. As he said himself the more people that go through him the more bargaining power he will have.

+ 1 our group really works well,
    Dropping off lambs in the morning, compared with spending the day in the mart....some difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

sako 85 wrote: »
    Believe it or not Ashford was also my local Mart and I see you live near the same place as I do. I wouldn't worry about numbers at all, I only had 8 spring lambs and 8 cast ewes. It was the first time I had used this particular agent but he was very happy to get the call. As he said himself the more people that go through him the more bargaining power he will have.

Thanks for the info, I might get the details off you closer to the time. BTW - Did you drop off the sheep or did he collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

My father dropped them down this morning, its a bit of a distance but its a good road. In my experience if lambs are factory fit, you'll get more for your lambs in the factory, mart charges make a difference too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

rangler1 wrote: »
    + 1 our group really works well,
    Dropping off lambs in the morning, compared with spending the day in the mart....some difference

I tried to get a group going locally about 4 years ago & didn't get much interest,

I offered the use of my yard/sheds for lairage, loading etc,

3 of us sell through an agent

sometimes we draw our own or share transport or if we have a large number get a haulier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

Any use the collection point in hacketstown? Wondering how lambs killed out?

• Advertisement

Interesting article in the FJ:

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/farmer-writes-why-do-sheep-farmers-rank-lowest-in-average-farming-incomes-159096/
    But eight years ago, factory fit lambs were making €80 and dropped as far as €60 when peak supplies hit in July and August. This week's prices range from €110-€125. So why are sheep farmers in the bottom category for average yearly incomes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

arctictree wrote: »

Is there more to the article than is shown online does anyone know?

killed 41 last friday

average 19.9 kgs €116

some of the younger lambs that got no meal killing over 50%

it's amazing what a little sunshine can do ...cobalt b12 helped as well

keep weighting & drafting folks ... make hay while the sun shines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

Do you find the cobalt good?

jfh wrote: »
    Do you find the cobalt good?

like all minerals/vitamins if lacking..... you will see a huge difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Last six of the earlier lambs away to the mart this morning, averaging £88 stg for them to date. Never hit the big heights of previous years when i was getting £135 stg for them in mid and late march, best i got this year was £94. Whilst i haven't counted what creep they have eat yet i'd say its around £11, so i reckon thats the end of the early lamb for me, just not enough in it to justify two different lambing crops.
    there's still not a lot of lambs out here yet and i hear they were bringing lambs out of the south last week to keep prices down.

Last six of the earlier lambs away to the mart this morning, averaging £88 stg for them to date. Never hit the big heights of previous years when i was getting £135 stg for them in mid and late march, best i got this year was £94. Whilst i haven't counted what creep they have eat yet i'd say its around £11, so i reckon thats the end of the early lamb for me, just not enough in it to justify two different lambing crops.
    there's still not a lot of lambs out here yet and i hear they were bringing lambs out of the south last week to keep prices down.

Usually the other way about but yes there was a buyer in two marts here in the south east. They wouldn't be cheap lambs against they put commission and transport to them and they would lose a bit travelling too I'd say

Spring lamb seems to have lost out to hoggets.

I wonder will Spring lamb come back?

It seems the supermarket now decide on when they start to stock Spring lamb, I assume this is governed by price more than anything else?
    Will they always only move to lamb, when the difference between hoggets and lamb is minimal?

The hogget trade early in the year now, seems to return as much if not more than early lamb. I know you have to carry the hogget for a lot longer time tho...

Lamb in April, sell em in Jan - if you had enough grass to keep em ticking over.

It wouldn't be an option for highly stocked farms, but if you had the grazing for em, could be worth it...

Rang the mart there now, 21kg @ £4.30 = £90.30. :(

I was in the supermarket the week before easter this year and bear in mind how late easter was and there were only two legs of lamb (NZ) on the shelves weighing about 1.5kg and selling for £7.65. I bought two legs of lamb in the butchers for Easter sunday and they cost me £60, so you can see how attractive imported lamb is to anyone who hasn't a clue about local provenance or supporting their local industry.

As John says the differential between the hogget and the spring lamb is nearly nonexistant although in the spring of 2012 a lot of finishers were very happy to get rid of hoggets at a big loss to get them out of the sheds. There is too much volatility and instability from one year to the next in the spring lamb/wintering hoggets market for people to stick at it, unless you have dry early land.

talking to a neighbour earlier he had 22 in the mart to day

cant remember if they were 50 or 52 kgs but the price I know was €132

jt65 wrote: »
    talking to a neighbour earlier he had 22 in the mart to day

cant remember if they were 50 or 52 kgs but the price I know was €132

Great to hear.what mart?

Great to hear.what mart?

Roscrea

Can't understand why men take lambs to heavy weights unless they butcher them, only giving free meat to the processors if they're only looking for lambs up to 22kg. Seen lads here who think topping the mart makes them great lads but don't actually have a calculator to work out price per kg.

Can't understand why men take lambs to heavy weights unless they butcher them, only giving free meat to the processors if they're only looking for lambs up to 22kg. Seen lads here who think topping the mart makes them great lads but don't actually have a calculator to work out price per kg.

In the main that's very true but if you have the right article thre is a butcher trade in places. Costs v littl to put extra few kilos up on a lamb on milk and grass. And might only be 5er but it's a 5er you wouldn't otherwise have. But if feeding meal it's madness alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In the main that's very true but if you have the right article thre is a butcher trade in places. Costs v littl to put extra few kilos up on a lamb on milk and grass. And might only be 5er but it's a 5er you wouldn't otherwise have. But if feeding meal it's madness alright.

My tongue does be hanging out for a few euro too much, to leave them for those 6 or 7 extra kilos..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Spring trade will be interesting in 2015 with Easter in early April and 2016 in late March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

Any update on prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Anyone out tonight?
    Weighed some lambs there, 1 at 56kg, next is only 38kg.
    Had an idea he was heavy, but not that heavy.
    Any idea what he's worth (Suffolk cross), or am I as well to hang up.
    Is there much trade for 35-38kgs?

KK mart report yesterday

Trade Comments Bigger sale of sheep which resulted in a reduction for lambs by
    €6 to €8 on last weeks returns.The top call for lambs was €125
    for 49kilo.Cull ewes meet an excellent trade with a top price of
    €134.00
    Butchers Lambs €2.15 to €2.55 per kilo €60 to €76 over the kilo
    No. Wt.(kg) €/kg Price(€)
    10 54 €2.19 118
    22 53 €2.40 127
    7 51 €2.39 122
    13 49 €2.55 125
    Factory Lambs €2.20 to €2.50 per kilo €52 to €65 over the kilo
    No. Wt.(kg) € / kg Price(€)
    11 45 €2.40 108
    16 44 €2.36 104
    28 42 €2.50 105
    13 41 €2.37 97
    Store Lambs €2.20 to €2.55 per kilo €2.15 to €2.55 per kilo
    No. Wt.(kg) Price(€)
    10 39 €2.54 99
    5 38 €2.47 94
    6 37 €2.27 84
    8 36 €2.28 82

Am mad to weigh some lambs when I get the chance - probably the weekend. The grass they are on now has got away on them and feck all leaf left on it. Hope it doesn't check their growth. Just waiting for a contractor to remove the hay bales from another field and then I'll move them in. Should be some good aftergrowth with rain forecast for later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

jt65 wrote: »
    KK mart report yesterday

Trade Comments Bigger sale of sheep which resulted in a reduction for lambs by
    €6 to €8 on last weeks returns.The top call for lambs was €125
    for 49kilo.Cull ewes meet an excellent trade with a top price of
    €134.00
    Butchers Lambs €2.15 to €2.55 per kilo €60 to €76 over the kilo
    No. Wt.(kg) €/kg Price(€)
    10 54 €2.19 118
    22 53 €2.40 127
    7 51 €2.39 122
    13 49 €2.55 125
    Factory Lambs €2.20 to €2.50 per kilo €52 to €65 over the kilo
    No. Wt.(kg) € / kg Price(€)
    11 45 €2.40 108
    16 44 €2.36 104
    28 42 €2.50 105
    13 41 €2.37 97
    Store Lambs €2.20 to €2.55 per kilo €2.15 to €2.55 per kilo
    No. Wt.(kg) Price(€)
    10 39 €2.54 99
    5 38 €2.47 94
    6 37 €2.27 84
    8 36 €2.28 82

38/39 kilos at 94 and 99 is good money, with volumes starting to rise be hard to see them making anymore over next few weeks even if factory fit. They could gone to factory I guess at that weight if carrying enough flesh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Tullow today , 42 kgs €100-106 43 kgs €107 45 kgs €112, store lambs 35-40 kgs but not well fleshed € 84-95 , not a big sale about 2 1/2 rows of lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Lads, excellent reporting there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

1500 lambs this morning going from our group, highest ever number, if this supply is reflected across the country, it'll be hard to maintain any sort of price

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    1500 lambs this morning going from our group, highest ever number, if this supply is reflected across the country, it'll be hard to maintain any sort of price

That's a big number lot of lambs.

Weighed just a few last night while I had em in, and I wont be sending any away for ~2 weeks I'd say :(

Advertisement