Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much meat from a bullock?

• 14-06-2019 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've a Galloway bullock I'm thinking of getting killed out for home beef, with a few people interested in sharing the meat.
    Can anyone tell me how much steak, roast, mince, etc I'd get from an animal?
    Not sure how he'll kill out in terms of weight, but Galloways aren't a large animal so if you have estimates for say 500 kg, with around 250 kg of meat delivered I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Have a read of this article, it give a breakdown of cuts etc
    http://www.beltedgalloways.co.uk/features/selling-your-beltie-beef/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

For yourself there is :

In a half side of a beef, approximately 12 roasts, 14 t-bone steaks, 5 sirloin steaks, 5 sirloin tip steaks, 14 rib-eye steaks, 4 filet mignon and 6 round steaks.

and for the relations and the neighours there is :

Short ribs, flank steak, stew meat, brisket and approximately 75# of ground beef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrOzwoMKzH4

A butcher cuts up half a side of beef

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

For yourself there is :

In a half side of a beef, approximately 12 roasts, 14 t-bone steaks, 5 sirloin steaks, 5 sirloin tip steaks, 14 rib-eye steaks, 4 filet mignon and 6 round steaks.

and for the relations and the neighours there is :

Short ribs, flank steak, stew meat, brisket and approximately 75# of ground beef.

If you didn’t want roast, what cuts could you get instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

If you didn’t want roast, what cuts could you get instead
    Get it diced up and use for curry’s and likes (not stews) get it sliced up thin and use in rolls or in sandwich’s . Would also be used for mince. But only for certain cuts. Don’t waste a rib/sirloin roast on getting it chopped up.

• Advertisement

Having your own animal slaughtered for home use is a big undertaking. In the past we were able to send a two year old heifer to the meat factory. You were notified when the process was complete and ready for collection from the factory. It was blast frozen, cuts labelled and packaged ready for the home freezer. This practice was discontinued by the meat factory. Since then we have never felt confident going elsewhere.

It’s an awful lot of meat to chew through, if it isn’t as you expected, or even trust that you got back your own animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Having your own animal slaughtered for home use is a big undertaking. In the past we were able to send a two year old heifer to the meat factory. You were notified when the process was complete and ready for collection from the factory. It was blast frozen, cuts labelled and packaged ready for the home freezer. This practice was discontinued by the meat factory. Since then we have never felt confident going elsewhere.

It’s an awful lot of meat to chew through, if it isn’t as you expected, or even trust that you got back your own animal.

Tried getting a cow off s friend of a friend. Got a lamb last year and 2 more inc's few months.

Anyway...he was willing to give me the cow but had lost confidence in the butcher he used to use as he didn't get back the meat he sent in last year so I'd have to arrange the killing myself.

Anyone know of someone reliable around North Kerry??

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Tried getting a cow off s friend of a friend. Got a lamb last year and 2 more inc's few months.

Anyway...he was willing to give me the cow but had lost confidence in the butcher he used to use as he didn't get back the meat he sent in last year so I'd have to arrange the killing myself.

yera you will only get back what you give in ,we always leave an ear tag on and cut up in front of the customer. for ****sake you should see the **** thats brought into be killed sometimes yokes that cant be got rid of anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

JJ's in lixnaw

yera you will only get back what you give in ,we always leave an ear tag on and cut up in front of the customer. for ****sake you should see the **** thats brought into be killed sometimes yokes that cant be got rid of anywhere else.

This person tears his own for family and friends. Only the best of meat walks in. Owner blamed an employee on it but trust was lost in this case.

• Advertisement

JJ's in lixnaw

Is that JJ Walsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is that JJ Walsh?

Yeah. They be slaughtered there. I get a good few lambs killed there every year and I have a butcher goes in to cut them how I want them then. Let me know if you want phone number for butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I've a Galloway bullock I'm thinking of getting killed out for home beef, with a few people interested in sharing the meat.
    Can anyone tell me how much steak, roast, mince, etc I'd get from an animal?
    Not sure how he'll kill out in terms of weight, but Galloways aren't a large animal so if you have estimates for say 500 kg, with around 250 kg of meat delivered I'd greatly appreciate it.

Killed a Galloway bullock last year, DW 285kg, there won't be much to divide up amongst a number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

yera you will only get back what you give in ,we always leave an ear tag on and cut up in front of the customer.

Most likely it’s your own animal being returned, the fall down is probably trying to home freeze that amount of beef. With the freezer turned onto fast freeze, you still have to turn and move the packs of meat around the freezer walls to prevent freezer burn. And the juice will flow out of the meat when it’s thawed out using this method.

I may be wrong but I don’t think local butchers provide blast freezing and vacuum packing for individuals presenting their animals for slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Justjens wrote: »
    Killed a Galloway bullock last year, DW 285kg, there won't be much to divide up amongst a number of people.

I was thinking of a number of meat boxes but now more inclined to look for 4 or 5 family / friends to take a share - less work splitting it up and delivering.

I'm guessing the same amount of meat from mine - that's nearly 100 lbs of meat for 5 people - a lot of meat to throw in the freezer, but not too much.
    My father used to go halves on a heifer with my uncle - now that's a chest freezer full of beef. You're eating that for the year.
    I remember we ate it like teenagers ........ steak several times a week for ages, then lots of roasts ........ and then a long long long long long time with stews and burgers. There was none of that lasagna or Bolognese in my parents time!!! 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

Many years ago I divided a heifer up amongst 4 people/families. There was only 2 or 3 T bones in each box, half a fillet, a few sirloin steaks and half a dozen roasts. There was plenty of stewing beef and mince/burgers....have a feeling they were disappointed with what they each got considering the cost, because I never heard from them again!!

Meat choices have changed now and we have a tendency to go for steaks and roasts, with a small beast these are not very plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

yera you will only get back what you give in ,we always leave an ear tag on and cut up in front of the customer.

Most likely it’s your own animal being returned, the fall down is probably trying to home freeze that amount of beef. With the freezer turned onto fast freeze, you still have to turn and move the packs of meat around the freezer walls to prevent freezer burn. And the juice will flow out of the meat when it’s thawed out using this method.

I may be wrong but I don’t think local butchers provide blast freezing and vacuum packing for individuals presenting their animals for slaughter.
    Ours does (Brogan’s in Athboy)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ours does (Brogan’s in Athboy)

Guy that butchers our pigs does it too, blast frozen and labelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Haven't done it for a number of years here but back when we were younger and there was 4 or 5 adults to feed every day as well we would have. Back then it used to be collected over 2 or 3 days allow the amount brought back each day to freeze.

Advertisement