Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Environmental effects of Farming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Amazon rainforest not the only one being cleared. Siberian forests, 20% of the worlds trees, are being cleared at an alarming rate. They probably don't have the carbon capturing capability of rain forests, but corruption drives their demise, purely down to demand for timber..

https://russiabusinesstoday.com/agriculture/siberian-forests-shrinking-due-to-strong-china-timber-demand/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Then you've this :

https://www.transportenvironment.org/publications/one-corporation-pollute-them-all

The results show that the luxury cruise brands owned by Carnival Corporation & PLC emitted in 2017 in European seas alone 10 times more sulphur dioxide than all of Europe’s 260+ million passenger vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's hard to know what to believe in this post truth world but the NY Times is claiming the majority of burning is happening on land already being used for agricultural production.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/24/world/americas/amazon-rain-forest-fire-maps.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's hard to know what to believe in this post truth world but the NY Times is claiming the majority of burning is happening on land already being used for agricultural production.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/24/world/americas/amazon-rain-forest-fire-maps.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Dose it matter? Surely in an age where people are counting cow burps for their carbon footprint, fires burning on this scale whether for deforestation or clearing of land is not good.

emaherx wrote: »
    Dose it matter? Surely in an age where people are counting cow burps for their carbon footprint, fires burning on this scale whether for deforestation or clearing of land is not good.

I think it does matter, tbh. The media portrays the fires as all being the Amazon being burned to clear ground for agriculture. There's a lot of evidence that that's not the case, that a lot of it is common land management like burning of crop residues that occurs every year and is totally unrelated to any forestry burning for land clearance.

Truth does still matter over an activists narrative, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think it does matter, tbh. The media portrays the fires as all being the Amazon being burned to clear ground for agriculture. There's a lot of evidence that that's not the case, that a lot of it is common land management like burning of crop residues that occurs every year and is totally unrelated to any forestry burning for land clearance.

Truth does still matter over an activists narrative, doesn't it?

You've no evidence whatsoever Buford.

All you've got is tweets from pro Bolsonaro tweeters, look away from here diversions, and conjecture that the environmental agency in Brazil shouldn't be believed.

If someone was to believe some it was Vegan, NGO's, burning farmland all as a plot to overthrow Bolsonaro..:rolleyes:

Money travels both ways Buford, if you do believe in conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

All you've got is tweets from pro Bolsonaro tweeters, look away from here diversions, and conjecture that the environmental agency in Brazil shouldn't be believed.

If someone was to believe some it was Vegan, NGO's, burning farmland all as a plot to overthrow Bolsonaro..:rolleyes:

Al Jaazera have reporters on the ground in Rondonia state - the epicentre of deforestation and ranching mafia activity over the last 4 decades. They sent up Drones last week and the footage clearly shows large areas of forest being incinerated. Apparently this state has already lost 70% of its forest cover and the remaining forest fragments have dried out due to lower soil moisture levels, ground water depletion etc. and are becoming more and more susceptible to fires over the last 2 decades:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Al Jaazera have reporters on the ground in Rondonia state - the epicentre of deforestation and ranching mafia activity over the last 4 decades. They sent up Drones last week and the footage clearly shows large areas of forest being incinerated. Apparently this state has already lost 70% of its forest cover and the remaining forest fragments have dried out due to lower soil moisture levels, ground water depletion etc. and are becoming more and more susceptible to fires over the last 2 decades:(
    Eliminate the forest, eliminate the transpiration, eliminate the clouds, eliminate the rain.
    Change the weather in unknown places throughout the world.

Don't know, Say my name, just have a look at the pic in the tweet and tell me where we should be getting concerned with.
    https://twitter.com/GHGGuru/status/1165833222032281600?s=19

Don't know, Say my name, just have a look at the pic in the tweet and tell me where we should be getting concerned with.
    https://twitter.com/GHGGuru/status/1165833222032281600?s=19

That's still misdirection from the Amazon problem.

G7 today however announced a few measly million for both the Amazon and central Africa.

There's no solving this problem bar sticking a fence around these areas and keeping humans out or only have humans controlled in numbers and living a prehistoric subsistence existence in those areas. Both controversial ideas.
    Orangutans are nearly extinct whatever about all other species living in tropical rainforests throughout the world and still people just watch it happen and do nothing.
    All we'll be left with is farmland and concrete, plastic and depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Telling people in other countries what to do won't work, particularly developing nations. It's no more than what we would say when the English monarchs or celebrities flying around the world telling everyone else to cut back, fcuk off is there answer most of the time.
    Worldwide is globalisation and drive for constant growth has led to most environmental issues. What can be done? By right locally grown produce should be used in agri circles as well as consumer circles. Even if it was regional, within the EU, within North America, Within Asia etc. Will that happen or work unlikely. Any form of protectionism is already seen as regressive, and for poorer countries it is. At the end of the day it's mass consumerism and the waste associated is the biggest problem.
    Neighbour has a kid, smart girl about 16, who is starting to get in to the environment etc and was talking to her about it and farming. He sent her up the stairs to the last rooms she was in and all the lights on. The stuff right in front of her didn't come to mind straight away but these global things which she has little influence over. Thought it was a good interaction. If everyone worried about the things within they're control we'd be a lot better off environmentally

There still has to be some sort of authoritarian control on these places if they are to survive.
    Personal responsibility has a major role but still more is needed.

Take Chernobyl. Major nuclear accident. Humans had to leave. Wildlife got some breathing space and is now flourishing again there.
    The exclusion zone between east and west Germany. Again humans moved out. Wildlife moved in.
    The nature reserves in Poland. One even established by the Nazis for a hunting park for bison and made up aurochs. Humans were mostly excluded. Nature moved in.

It's all well and good saying personal responsibility but humans don't behave responsibly.
    Most of us don't dump rubbish. But you need the authorities to stop the ones that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    Telling people in other countries what to do won't work, particularly developing nations. It's no more than what we would say when the English monarchs or celebrities flying around the world telling everyone else to cut back, fcuk off is there answer most of the time.
    Worldwide is globalisation and drive for constant growth has led to most environmental issues. What can be done? By right locally grown produce should be used in agri circles as well as consumer circles. Even if it was regional, within the EU, within North America, Within Asia etc. Will that happen or work unlikely. Any form of protectionism is already seen as regressive, and for poorer countries it is. At the end of the day it's mass consumerism and the waste associated is the biggest problem.
    Neighbour has a kid, smart girl about 16, who is starting to get in to the environment etc and was talking to her about it and farming. He sent her up the stairs to the last rooms she was in and all the lights on. The stuff right in front of her didn't come to mind straight away but these global things which she has little influence over. Thought it was a good interaction. If everyone worried about the things within they're control we'd be a lot better off environmentally

+1. Virtue signaling.

I find it amusing that there’s an element on here that reckon they have the right (gall?) to pontificate to a developing country of over 200mln people on how to run their country. There’s already over 1mln tons of maize, just maize as I’ve no figures for soya, imported from these regions into Ireland so far this year...if the virtue signalers want to actually *do* something proactive, maybe just buy native grains or French maize??

These posters consider that “inhibited” urea is all that’s needed so as not to shyte on their own doorstep (?). LoL!

A good start would be looking after ones own affairs including maybe getting onto a high horse about untreated sewage being discharged into waterways etc etc etc etc....etc etc etc etc!

I'll add a few more to that list Dawg.

No pontificating should be done by anyone if they've children, don't engage in carbon drawdown, don't have a tree planting program and don't participate in vehicle sharing or use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

+1. Virtue signaling. I find it amusing that there’s an element on here that reckon they have the right (gall?) to pontificate to a developing country of over 200mln people on how to run their country. There’s already over 1mln tons of maize, just maize as I’ve no figures for soya, imported from these regions into Ireland so far this year...if the virtue signalers want to actually *do* something proactive, maybe just buy native grains or French maize??These posters consider that “inhibited” urea is all that’s needed so as not to shyte on their own doorstep (?). LoL! A good start would be looking after ones own affairs including maybe getting onto a high horse about untreated sewage being discharged into waterways etc etc etc etc....etc etc etc etc!

Element? Pontificate? Gall?

Why so much effort in trying to disparage other posters instead of putting forward a decent direct counter argument?

If someone's opinion or views have no merit and are simply borne of 'gall ?' then you should have little trouble posting a solid rebuttal making them look like the idiots you imply them to be. Reckon we are all free to reply to the posts we don't agree with - so why not focus on doing that? Surely that's what healthy debate is and not the boot stomping of posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

gozunda wrote: »

Why so much effort in trying to disparage other posters instead of putting forward a decent direct counter argument?

If someone's opinion or views have no merit and are simply borne of 'gall ?' then you should have little trouble posting a solid rebuttal making them look like the idiots you imply them to be. Reckon we are all free to reply to the posts we don't agree with - so why not focus on doing that? Surely that's what healthy debate is and not the boot stomping of posters?

Reread my post like a good lad.

I made plenty points, irrefutable points...but you didn’t address even one.

Take your own counsel.

Reread my post like a good lad. I made plenty points, irrefutable points...but you didn’t address even one.Take your own counsel.

Ah indeed good lad. I would dearly love to engage in a proper discussion but alas no 'points' made tbh other than a diatribe about elements pontificate gall etc etc. Ah well sure there we are ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Digestors should become common place in farming communities. Are there any in the Republic at the moment?

Would it fix everything? Of course not, but it would
    1) turn a 'harmful' substance, the gas into a useful substance.

2) help farmers to stop slurry tanks overflowing thus polluting waterways

3) bring money into.rural communities.

How about that for a start, and there are probably a thousand practical small changes that could be introduced.

Why not support and develope the will industry. At the moment wool is worthless, it actually costs the farmer to have it shorn and then it is shipped to China. A product which is naturally fire resistant and could be used in a wide variety of industry such as insulation is banged on to a boat and brought to the other side of the world.

How about some incentive to encourage farmers to plant broadleaf trees on their land? At the money there is zero incentive available. It would be a very easy pain free way of adding a few million broadleaf trees. Once again will it fix things ? Of course not but you add it to all the other little things and you begin to see a tangible impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/news/473664/state-company-applies-to-build-a-major-waste-gas-production-plant-in-laois.html

"A waste digestion pond that has a capacity for more than 55 million litres and four large waste digestion tanks are included in a big and complex planning application for a gas production facility to be submitted to Laois County Council.....

The company has previously said that the proposed anaerobic digestion plant could see up to 80,000 tonnes of biodegradable, organic materials converted into gas each year. It is claimed that the gas byproduct could heat around 5,500 homes annually."

No reason why you couldn't have a plant like this in each county when you consider that the raw material going into it is food waste/animal waste which is freely available in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

JJayoo wrote: »
    https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/news/473664/state-company-applies-to-build-a-major-waste-gas-production-plant-in-laois.html

"A waste digestion pond that has a capacity for more than 55 million litres and four large waste digestion tanks are included in a big and complex planning application for a gas production facility to be submitted to Laois County Council.....

The company has previously said that the proposed anaerobic digestion plant could see up to 80,000 tonnes of biodegradable, organic materials converted into gas each year. It is claimed that the gas byproduct could heat around 5,500 homes annually."

No reason why you couldn't have a plant like this in each county when you consider that the raw material going into it is food waste/animal waste which is freely available in every county.

General waste one's are very smelly and require a whole other level of regs to work over animal waste set ups.

• Advertisement

Irish Ag Industry has two years to effectively respond to environmental challenges - Gerry Boyle, Teagasc. #ASA19

alps wrote: »
    Irish Ag Industry has two years to effectively respond to environmental challenges - Gerry Boyle, Teagasc. #ASA19

Is he going to show us the way, instead of an aimless criticism?
    I wonder do some in teagasc really know what they're saying or just looking for that cheap soundbite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I wonder do some in teagasc really know what they're saying or just looking for that cheap soundbite.

No nonsense, fierce practical, decisive type.

For many it is important to sound like that at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The usual blame game nonsense, you'd imagine if it were a real threat they'd come up with solutions instead of blaming those nasty humans for everything. Don't worry when they bring a raft of carbon taxes everything will be grand again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

gozunda wrote: »

This posters modus operandi is exactly as you’ve stated, every thread is the same. Not worth engaging with as disparaging will follow

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/environment/will-dairy-and-beef-collapse-in-11-years/

Looks like we'll be engineering food. It will be cheaper and we'll save the planet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/environment/will-dairy-and-beef-collapse-in-11-years/

Looks like we'll be engineering food. It will be cheaper and we'll save the planet as well.
    That is a pretty dire piece of clickbait and little more than a shout-out for veganism. It doesn't offer any insights of its own and just builds poorly constructed paragraphs around links to a report.

The pushing and promotion of mass produced, ultra processed foods is a trend we would want to keep an eye on. The replacement of expensive, high quality ingredients with cheaper, inferior ingredients will not have a good outcome.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/9/8/e029544#

The pushing and promotion of mass produced, ultra processed foods is a trend we would want to keep an eye on. The replacement of expensive, high quality ingredients with cheaper, inferior ingredients will not have a good outcome.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/9/8/e029544#

Something akin to the rise of margarine type 'spreads' in the 80 and 90s. Then it was found that hydrogenated fats were very very bad for peoples health and suddenly - real to goodness butter is back with a bang.

Fake food & meat is a fad driven by corporate investors looking for a share of the market. It never ends well ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I see the vegan nutcases are out and getting attention again

As farmers we need to be extremely aware of this and fight it with everything that we’ve got, because this crowd won’t be happy until it is out lawed

Eating meat could be banned 'to help protect planet from eco-cide'
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/eating-meat-could-be-banned-to-help-protect-planet-from-ecocide-38523519.html

Advertisement