Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travellers scamming insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why would a solicitor care if he’s getting paid from it aswell.
    They’re worse than the travellers. Snakes the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No penalty for taking a fraudulent case. All of these cases should be investigated and charged with fraud if appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It is pretty blatant. I feel for the taxi driver who was innocently associated with this set up.

But the problem is there is no downside. They lost this case but it has cost them nothing and you can be sure this is not their first rodeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

kneemos wrote: »
    No penalty for taking a fraudulent case. All of these cases should be investigated and charged with fraud if appropriate.

That is far too obvious and sensible,,,,so it may never happen...I read that the Solicitors in question are to be investigated by their own governing body...so it will be swamped in legal jargon ......and swept under the carpet.

That's the Paddies for yah !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They need to put forward some people for elections. I suspect the Constitution is against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

That judge deserves a medal compared to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.thejournal.ie/pregnant-woman-gardai-chase-court-4721460-Jul2019/

Soon as I saw this I knew it had to be people in perpetual motion.
    They just seem to be getting worse and nothing is being done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

https://www.thejournal.ie/pregnant-woman-gardai-chase-court-4721460-Jul2019/

Soon as I saw this I knew it had to be people in perpetual motion.
    They just seem to be getting worse and nothing is being done about it.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I just looked up the area mentioned as the address, somebody needs to get on to the homeless charities. Houses for 30k. Buy up a good few of them with the tax payers millions and bring the homeless figures down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Don't they have their own insurance company?

https://www.travelers.ie/main/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod noteClosed for the moment!

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA.

Fair warning: Any posts that are traveller-bashing, and not discussing the point, will be immediately carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, but I can see how Peter Casey got so many votes.

Earlier this week there was a case where 4 traveller's had tried to scam 60k each was thrown out
    Today multiple cases in longford by travellers thrown out https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/four-accused-of-deliberately-exaggerating-injuries-in-240-000-claims-case-1.3955163

Is this what they do all the time and surely the solicitors (named in all situations) are complicit as it's as obvious as hell its fraud

The article linked actually tells of 3 separate cases, all taken by travellers, all by the same solicitor, all thrown out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

They want representation in the Dail and Seanad now.

I think insurance scammers are well represented in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

The legal ‘professionals’ who facilitate these bogus claims need to be sanctioned. If a judge throws out a case like this then it is hard to argue that the solicitor was acting in good faith. Mr Feeney needs to take a good hard look at himself. Bottom feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Odelay wrote: »
    That judge deserves a medal compared to the others.

+1

When you hear about these massive payouts for dodgy claims, good to know that there is at least one judge with a bit of cop-on.

All of these cases seem to have bee heard on the same day(?) - fair play to her, anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

If only we had some political leadership on the issues of insurance fraud, instead we get this.

Compensation is seen as “easy money” that tempts even the “best of people” into making unwarranted claims, the minister responsible for reforming the sector admits

The best of people they would have us believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I was talking to a legal person today about this and they said that one of the issues is that any previous claims or any pending claims regarding any non associated incidents cannot generally be brought up in court and the first a judge will hear about it is reading it in the media the next day.

And some judges are seen as an easy touch for certain groups and likewise, some are seen as "difficult" and cases get withdrawn the morning of the case

So people could take claim after claim after claim and no information on the other claims is heard. He said this is particularly prevalent amongst the travelling community.

He suggested that I got to any district court sitting and experience it first hand. - I might just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think it's just travellers we have all sorts including sitting members of our government have tried to game the system.

We need to punish those who have spurious claims .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Calhoun wrote: »
    I don't think it's just travellers we have all sorts including sitting members of our government have tried to game the system.

We need to punish those who have spurious claims .

Indeed, but every second media story about a failed insurance claim seems to involve members of the traveler community. I don't know how many there are, but it's not 50% of the population. Probably less than 1% and with so many cases it can't be down to media focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ahh, poor auld Fergus Feeney, God bless him. I have around 25 letters from him here when he was representing someone who was trying desperately to take action against me. All failed in the end but good to see he's still trying.

Indeed, but every second media story about a failed insurance claim seems to involve members of the traveler community. I don't know how many there are, but it's not 50% of the population. Probably less than 1% and with so many cases it can't be down to media focus.

McDonagh usually gives a fair clue to the ethnic status...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yah but if it's not travellers it's other people taking advantage of it, the system is broken and blame lies with it.

The individuals taking advantage are just the effect and not the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What I don't get is when a judge flags a person and says you have made a living making claims for multiple rear endings and other RTAs and yet still awards a payout , even when the person or persons have being found to be less than honest in a court room

I think insurance scammers are well represented in the Dáil.

Yes, plenty from the legal profession in both the Dail and Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Plus one for credit to the judge. We slate them enough when they throw thousands at the clearly dodge claims, great to see one use common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

There are two types of insurance fraud.

Makey uppy ones like this and ones where an incident had occurred but people embellish and exaggerate their ailments.

Unfortunately its the latter that is the major problem with insurance currently which is why fraud is so difficult to prove in most cases.

The other major issue is peoples willingness to claim.

I heard about a case recently where a young lady attended a gymnastics camp and got a bump on her head during it. A fairly natural and possible occurrence when indulging in such activities. Her mother brought a claim against the insurers of the person running the class. The instructors were appropriately experienced and qualified. The legally required number of staff were present during the class. No medical treatment in the immediate aftermath or the following weeks was required. Yet mammy still tried to bring a case.

That's what insurers and businesses are up against.

The case was rightly thrown out by the judge but the insurer still has the costs of investigating and defending against the claim.

Or the incident where a Chung wan fell while on a night out and broke her ankle, she tried to sue the Wright venue claiming the floor was wet, despite other witnesses stating it wasnt, the claim still made it to court so again, the investigation and defence costs were most likely into a 5 figure sum. This case was thrown out too.

Sometimes an accident is just that, an accident but we have fostered a culture of blame where personal accountability be damned, I want money.

The tide is turning I believe and the ideal would be for solicitors to look at cases objectively and make the moral call and choose to not represent frivolous or suspect claims but at the end of the day, they don't care because win or lose they will get paid handsomely for their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Fair play to the judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The stats show that travellers disproportionately commit crime to a massive degree. Male travellers are 17 times more likely to go to prison and female travellers are 37 times more likely, so there really shouldn't be any surprise that a disproportionate number of fraudulent cases like this are committed by travellers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524

Advertisement