Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Oops69 wrote: »
    she's in a desperate state this morning , st vincents on standby with the oxygen , she should have called in sick this morning and reflected on a variety of things .

You mustn't have been ready to 'step in' so. That's professionalism for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

sideboard wrote: »
    Your simply saying that your efforts in radio failed.

What on earth are you on about?

Mariana(sic) record is second to none over (her) lifetime of broadcasting. And then along comes you...

As someone whose taxes go towards paying Marian's high wages, I am entitled to ask questions about where my money is going. I am not disputing what Marian did 20, 30, 40 years ago on radio. In 2019, we're paying through the nose for her to present 4 hours of radio on weekend mornings. Especially now that her voice has audibly deteriorated and she clearly has respiratory issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Don't indulge him/her lads. This is the type of abuse s/he'll resort to when challenged.
    Sideboard response: - 'Sorry Sligojerk, can't make head nor tail of what your getting at...maybe it is past your best (sic) time?"

9 months in the wilderness and back with the same nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 charlotte.york

As someone whose taxes go towards paying Marian's high wages, I am entitled to ask questions about where my money is going. I am not disputing what Marian did 20, 30, 40 years ago on radio. In 2019, we're paying through on weekend mornings. Especially now that her voice has audibly deteriorated and she clearly has respiratory issues.
    Her show construction is pretty poor too.

As someone whose taxes go towards paying Marian's high wages, I am entitled to ask questions about where my money is going. I am not disputing what Marian did 20, 30, 40 years ago on radio. In 2019, we're paying through the nose for her to present 4 hours of radio on weekend mornings. Especially now that her voice has audibly deteriorated and she clearly has respiratory issues.

All our taxes go to Public Sector wages. Marion is Private (as is often stated here). You need to address your concerns to RTE, but leave people who have no way to defend themselves out of your personal gripe.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Don't indulge him/her lads. This is the type of abuse s/he'll resort to when challenged.

Glad you keep my memos. I must have said something too close to the truth?

All our taxes go to Public Sector wages. Marion is Private (as is often stated here). You need to address your concerns to RTE, but leave people who have no way to defend themselves out of your personal gripe.

No. she is a contractor paid for the public.

No. she is a contractor paid for the public.

Contractors are not public servants, they have none of the conditions of a ps worker.

Contractors are not public servants, they have none of the conditions of a ps worker.

Yes but I didn't said they do. She is a contractor as it saves her money. The concern is her extreme cost for mediocre work.

No need to take my word...look at listenership ratings.

• Advertisement

No need to take my word...look at listenership ratings.

That doesn't prove RTE is getting a good deal. I know my wallet isnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Glad you keep my memos. I must have said something too close to the truth?
    Your posting history is there for all to see. I've better things to do than be obsessed with people. See ya later

Your posting history is there for all to see. I've better things to do than be obsessed with people. See ya later

Both our posting history is there for all to see. I am happy to defend good radio programmes from the PS, but happy to see improvements, when warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Maybe Maureen Gaffney should look at the fact that this generation has been locked out of the housing sector by her generation?

Jaysus that nurse may hang on in the studio after the show. There is more illness there than there is back in her hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

who opened the share bag of tayto crisps?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McCarthy gave the nurses lady a good auld scutching.

I think the veneer is beginning to wear off this issue now.

Anybody listening to the interview with the interview with the Data Protection Commissioner today? I wasn't hugely impressed. First of all, for the first three questions she was asked she responded with the now all too common "soooooooooooo.... " before answering. I would have expected given that it was a formal interview she would have responded with a formal response. Maybe it's just me.

When asked about Cheryl Sandberg, she said that she'd read her book and that she met her and she spoke as if they were team mates. It's not her job to be friends with Cheryl Sandberg, it's her job to lay down the law for Facebook, especially given the recent documentary on FB moderation and given the fact that they seem to be sooooooooo (to use her own word) far behind. Reminded me a bit of Leo at Notting Hill, happy to just to be meeting famous people.

But then we've never done regulation well have we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

now an interview with a european investment banker ??... i'd prefer to ring up my accountant to explain the annual accounts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anybody listening to the interview with the interview with the Data Protection Commissioner today? I wasn't hugely impressed. First of all, for the first three questions she was asked she responded with the now all too common "soooooooooooo.... " before answering. I would have expected given that it was a formal interview she would have responded with a formal response. Maybe it's just me.

When asked about Cheryl Sandberg, she said that she'd read her book and that she met her and she spoke as if they were team mates. It's not her job to be friends with Cheryl Sandberg, it's her job to lay down the law for Facebook, especially given the recent documentary on FB moderation and given the fact that they seem to be sooooooooo (to use her own word) far behind. Reminded me a bit of Leo at Notting Hill, happy to just to be meeting famous people.

But then we've never done regulation well have we?

First three.....:eek: She responded to almost every direct question with ‘soooo’

The accent comes from MaryLou McDonald territory?

Those ‘rrr’s’. !

Has to be from nearby.

• Advertisement

Interesting interview with Tony O'Brien. He does seem very angry. Seems like he's come on to settle a few old scores.

You would wonder how he ever got to the head of any organisation when he is prepared to take so little responsibility for his actions. It always somebody else's fault and he is very vociferous about assigning those people with that blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I'd say he'd be great craic at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You would wonder how he ever got to the head of any organisation when he is prepared to take so little responsibility for his actions. It always somebody else's fault and he is very vociferous about assigning those people with that blame.

A common outlook that most of these high flying managers/directors have.bad news is Always someone else’s fault but when things go well the credit is solely down to him personally

It was a bit stupid that the texts ended up being either pro-PAC or pro-O'Brien. I think the core of it both the PAC and Tony O'Brien were looking after their own interests and neither really had the State as the priority.

Good interview by Marian though. Joe Rogan could take a few lessons, maybe he could watch this interview and then invite Jeff Dorsey back in to the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Good interview by Marian though.

Can’t agree with that.

I thought Marian was woefully underprepared for the interview. This was a valuable opportunity to get some insight on the inner workings of the health service and how that is manifested in current controversies from someone who was very recently at the top level of that service and may be willing to spill the beans on aspects of the HSE having been unceremoniously dumped out of it.

Instead, Marian asked questions that you would ask if he was still head of the HSE and interrupted him any time he started to expand on an answer (and looked like he might actually reveal new information). Let’s be clear, Marian phoned this in and the listener is the poorer for it.

Instead, Marian asked questions that you would ask if he was still head of the HSE and interrupted him any time he started to expand on an answer (and looked like he might actually reveal new information). Let’s be clear, Marian phoned this in and the listener is the poorer for it.

Hmm, I'd normally be the first to accuse her of not being prepared, which she frequently is. It was the fact that she got stuck in to him that I appreciated. But maybe that was just because I don't like the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

We dont gain very much from "getting stuck into" anyone in this situation.

He resigned and they cannot get anyone to replace him. What does that say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think the strength of the show is that they can get someone like him to be interviewed for nearly an hour. I heard snippets-what I did hear was an angry guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I thought it was an oddly adversarial tone to her usual style of conversational interview. I don't think she got the best out of it either.
    Tony O'Brien (TOB) could have been used in this instance to lift the lid on structural and political failings / interference in the health sector. But I don't think she got to the core of that.
    I mean, here's a guy who was brought in to dismantle the HSE and then for political reasons ends up trying to keep it alive.
    His comments re the PAC are very valid IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement