Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muireann O'Connell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She was likeable but the music on her show was putrid, she didn't have any interesting features or quizzes and her topics were extremely run of the mill. She was like any DJ you'd find doing a music show on any regional station. The presenter filling in for her at the moment is like a carbon copy, just a different accent.

While her figures are up, there's an enormous drop in listeners when D+D are finished which I assume was the main reason she was axed

Having said that, she's 1,000 times better than Mairead whatever her current marriage name is

siblers wrote: »
    She was likeable but the music on her show was putrid, she didn't have any interesting features or quizzes and her topics were extremely run of the mill. She was like any DJ you'd find doing a music show on any regional station. The presenter filling in for her at the moment is like a carbon copy, just a different accent.

While her figures are up, there's an enormous drop in listeners when D+D are finished which I assume was the main reason she was axed

Having said that, she's 1,000 times better than Mairead whatever her current marriage name is

Well I dont think you can blame her for the music played..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

siblers wrote: »

music on the show could have been set list and had to play what the producers/station picked

I think she put out a topic out there , mostly connected to ongoing events in the news or something on TV or in the papers/magazine and just got callers to join in - nothing wrong in that , hardly crime of the centry - certainly not a sackable offence....

- look at that where she went out on a limb as well .. staying up and broadcasting something like 3am after the last series of game of thrones as well - still seems werent good enough for the station then, what the hell are they looking for in a presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

Unfortunately there are very few decent women on the radio. She was mediocre and mairead is going to be as bad with her grating voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muireann is great on the 6 o’clock show. But I don’t listen to radio apart from Newstalk in car on way to work and back. I used to listen to the fm104 phoneshiw at night but that has been replaced by an awful new nightly show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Unfortunately there are very few decent women on the radio. She was mediocre and mairead is going to be as bad with her grating voice.

she was no jenny greene but on that station she was miles better than Curtis/Duffy/McSweeney.....agreed she was mediocre but way better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

she was no jenny greene but on that station she was miles better than Curtis/Duffy/McSweeney.....agreed she was mediocre but way better

Now I’m not in the know really as I only listen to Newstalk, but what is the big deal about Jenny Green?? I mean why does she be doing concerts with the RTÉ orchestra?? Is she like an Irish female version of Calvin Harris?? Does she produce her own music?? And who is sad enough to go to her gigs??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I mean why does she be doing concerts with the RTÉ orchestra??

They need an excuse for their stipend from the license fee.
    "But look....we are reaching out to the youth...culture! Give us more money"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

True.....I remember in the past there was some kind of outcry (from whom I can't remember) about the lack of female presenters on the radio. Well, that has changed big time.....but was it a positive move?

would i be exaggerating if i said she will now be up there with the other greats/favourites likes of 2FM getting rid of Ruth Scott and cormac battle and Rick O'shea and Larry Gogan and the like? (well I know some of the have moved onto an oldie RTE radio station)

But you know if I had a magic machine I would like Ruth and paddy and larry gogan back on 2fm and for Muireanne to be re-instated back into their rightful places.

I was just thinking tonight , God know how the listening figures would go if we had a decent proper DAB radio service here in ireland but nationwide in every county not just in Dublin and the like

Certainly in my area I can get diddly squat on DAB - and all I can get is FM and all I can get on FM is OceanFM(local radio) , Mid-West Radio(Local - a bit weak and interferance) RTE Radio one (regional) , RTE2FM (Regional), Today FM, i-Radio and Newstalk and thats it - sure I can get a plethora of stations on Internet radio through my laptop but its not the same as just having a good DAB service and then just tuning in with the DAB/FM radio's we already have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I use a Google smart speaker for my radio now and it has made an enormous difference. (The small one gets reduced to €30 in the shops every so often if you're on a budget). My FM/DAB radio is now in the back of a cupboard. The Amazon Alexa one is pants.

I use a Google smart speaker for my radio now and it has made an enormous difference. (The small one gets reduced to €30 in the shops every so often if you're on a budget). My FM/DAB radio is now in the back of a cupboard. The Amazon Alexa one is pants.

Oh I got an Alexa one in June for me birthday and its not bad at all - yeah can get 'Tune in' radio I think it is on that - but the radio in the bathroom and kitchen and another room both have FM and DAB tuners - cannot get any DAB whatsoever on them when i try tuning in to DAB , just not the signal here - dont find any stations. But yeah they are good the smart speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

I was never a fan of Muireann on radio. Legs for tv as they say but she always seemed more at home on tv (6 o'clock show, where I thought she was very good) but disheartened to hear she will be replaced by Mairead Ronan. Apparently she is the only woman to do anything after giving birth to children. Ah don't worry if you haven't heard that before, because you will, every ****ing day. For the next year. Enjoy. Cos I won't be listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Certainly in my area I can get diddly squat on DAB - and all I can get is FM and all I can get on FM is OceanFM(local radio) , Mid-West Radio(Local - a bit weak and interferance) RTE Radio one (regional) , RTE2FM (Regional), Today FM, i-Radio and Newstalk and thats it - sure I can get a plethora of stations on Internet radio through my laptop but its not the same as just having a good DAB service and then just tuning in with the DAB/FM radio's we already have

I’m in a similar situation here.... What is available on DAB, if we could get it? Can international stations be picked up?
    In the meantime, you’ll have to make do with Boylan asking if anyone saw a stray daug :D

hopeso wrote: »
    I’m in a similar situation here.... What is available on DAB, if we could get it? Can international stations be picked up?
    In the meantime, you’ll have to make do with Boylan asking if anyone saw a stray daug :D

haha yeah - is OK sometimes local radio - depends whos on and what type of music they are playing.

Not sure about DAB , but I think you wouldnt get any international radio - I am pretty sure its just all the Irish radio stations (when in Ireland) - our Car has a DAB radio tuner in it and I think we pick up a DAB signal when we pretty near to Dublin and its all Irish stations local and nationwide irish radio

.. but like we go up Northern Ireland as well like enniskillen once in a while and thats when you seem to get a great load of DAB stations all the local ones but then ones like heart and BBC Radio 1 and radio 2 and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Have to wonder if Today Fm looked at Mairead Ronan like 'well her husband's rich, maybe he'll pay to advertise on our station'? Or some thing like that.

Some way that this benefits them. It's the only thing I can think of, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How does yer wan Mairéad Farell/Ronan keep finding work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I was never a fan of Muireann on radio. Legs for tv as they say but she always seemed more at home on tv (6 o'clock show, where I thought she was very good) but disheartened to hear she will be replaced by Mairead Ronan. Apparently she is the only woman to do anything after giving birth to children. Ah don't worry if you haven't heard that before, because you will, every ****ing day. For the next year. Enjoy. Cos I won't be listening.
    I wont be listening either.

hopeso wrote: »

Boylan is ok. He doesn't lick Arse to the pcbrigade snowflakes.

Have to wonder if Today Fm looked at Mairead Ronan like 'well her husband's rich, maybe he'll pay to advertise on our station'? Or some thing like that.

Some way that this benefits them. It's the only thing I can think of, frankly.
    Well said. That's defo what it is. Ffs

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Multi millionaire businessman hubby

I wont be listening either.

I will give her a try and then make up my mind - I have never heard her on the radio before I dont think

Arghus wrote: »
    She must have a...
    Multi millionaire businessman hubby
    Ah. That'll be it.

Really now, it is mysteifying. Maybe some people do like her. Some people like Ray Darcy, after all; some people won't hear a word said against Joe Duffy.

I understand the Joe Duffy thing, he can have a certain charisma. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he clearly has certain important skills and a loyal fan base.

Ray Darcy, Mairead Ronan and Will Hanafin (the latter is working on his own project for RTE) ... I do not for one moment believe they represent the kind of broadcasting talent that does exist in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She must have a...

Ah. That'll be it.

Really now, it is mysteifying. Maybe some people do like her. Some people like Ray Darcy, after all; some people won't hear a word said against Joe Duffy.

I understand the Joe Duffy thing, he can have a certain charisma death, pain and misery fetish. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he clearly has certain important skills and a loyal fan base.

Ray Darcy, Mairead Ronan and Will Hanafin (the latter is working on his own project for RTE) ... I do not for one moment believe they represent the kind of broadcasting talent that does exist in this country.

FYP, and in bold:
    I don't think those residents of the old folks homes have a choice in what is broadcast over the internal speakers......

FYP, and in bold:
    I don't think those residents of the old folks homes have a choice in what is broadcast over the internal speakers......

doesnt matter because they are asleep most of the time ... or drugged up

She must have a...

Ah. That'll be it.

I understand the Joe Duffy thing, he can have a certain charisma death, pain and misery fetish. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he clearly has certain important skills and a loyal fan base.

FYP, and in bold:
    Same in hospital waiting rooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I will give her a try and then make up my mind - I have never heard her on the radio before I dont think

If you listened to Ray D'arcy before he went to RTE1, you would have heard her on.

I might tune in but I'm afraid her voice grates a bit with me so more about me than her, tbh. I'll probably still change over to Ronan Collins at 12 just to avoid the same bloody songs they play all day every day.

Or has it changed any bit lately?

If you listened to Ray D'arcy before he went to RTE1, you would have heard her on.

I might tune in but I'm afraid her voice grates a bit with me so more about me than her, tbh. I'll probably still change over to Ronan Collins at 12 just to avoid the same bloody songs they play all day every day.

Or has it changed any bit lately?

no, I never listened to Ray radio show - was he originally on TodayFM was he and then went over to RTE did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

no, I never listened to Ray radio show - was he originally on TodayFM was he and then went over to RTE did he?

Yeah, he ended up having the highest rated TodayFM show ever and then moved to RTE with two of his production team, his wife and Will Hanafin. Mairead had left TodayFM some time before iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

She must have a...

Ah. That'll be it.

I understand the Joe Duffy thing, he can have a certain charisma. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he clearly has certain important skills and a loyal fan base.

I never thought I would see those words (bold) in the same sentence.

Advertisement