Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muireann O'Connell

Comments

I just heard.

For feck's sake.

I thought that all women DJs were annoying (sorry - I think it's mainly the high-pitched voices go through me), until I discovered Muireann - I really enjoyed her show -she was natural and effortless.

I can't believe she's being replaced by a high-pitched voice.
    I won't be listening.

Feck ye TodayFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Today FM really haven't got much further to fall have they. It's just history repeating itself. I hope she gets another radio gig soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

she she had/has a unique voice Muireann and it was a good one on the radio - they are so wrong getting rid. If i thought it would help I would suggest starting up a petition and entitle it "att the management of TodayFM - we, the listening public, demand Muireann O'Connell be returned to her post on TodayFM forthwith'
    mind you she might not want her job back there now she realizes she has been shafted by them and kicked out

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

she she had/has a unique voice Muireann and it was a good one on the radio - they are so wrong getting rid. If i thought it would help I would suggest starting up a petition and entitle it "att the management of TodayFM - we, the listening public, demand Muireann O'Connell be returned to her post on TodayFM forthwith'
    mind you she might not want her job back there now she realizes she has been shafted by them and kicked out

Ah ffs can we start a petition to get her off TV and radio. Her whiny irritating voice is getting on my nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Ah ffs can we start a petition to get her off TV and radio. Her whiny irritating voice is getting on my nerves

Have never heard her on the radio....have only seen snippets of her on TV.

I like her voice......growing on me....find it very sexy.

Thinks she's quite hot as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It was that lunchtime show and the requirement for her to act like a kid who has drunk too much Red Bull that did for her. That's not where her strengths lie. If she can avoid that sort of radio in the future, it'll stand to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

micar wrote: »

How are ya Muireann? U just back from the dole office?

I wouldnt call her voice Whiney - its pretty deep ... with the sort of like on 40 fags a day rasp to it

micar wrote: »

I'm the other way round - heard her voice every day on today FM but never sat down to watch that show on TV3 / Virgin Media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Going by the comments here, it seems like Mairead Ronan is married to a well off bloke..... I wonder if he lubed her entrance into this slot? Sure it will get her out of the house for a few hours anyway....

Either way, I won't be listening to her...

I'm tempted to start a poll...Who'll be gone first, Mairead Ronan or Jenifer Zamperelli? On one hand I'd say Zamperelli, because she has a head start, starting 3 or 4 months before Ronan....But on the other hand, RTE can afford to carry dead weight longer because of the licence fee......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I am amazed the sacking of Muireann did not come sooner if i'm honest

The last couple of JNLR results for her show were awful

She must have seen this day coming for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

hopeso wrote: »
    Going by the comments here, it seems like Mairead Ronan is married to a well off bloke..... I wonder if he lubed her entrance into this slot? Sure it will get her out of the house for a few hours anyway....

Either way, I won't be listening to her...

I'm tempted to start a poll...Who'll be gone first, Mairead Ronan or Jenifer Zamperelli? On one hand I'd say Zamperelli, because she has a head start, starting 3 or 4 months before Ronan....But on the other hand, RTE can afford to carry dead weight longer because of the licence fee......

RTE will find something else for Zamp like they do for Huberman, Doireann gahiry and others....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

gamecube wrote: »
    I am amazed the sacking of Muireann did not come sooner if i'm honest

The last couple of JNLR results for her show were awful

She must have seen this day coming for a while

a lot of shows are declining rapidly I believe, Cooper's declined, I think the only one who grew in last few years was sadly Ferg D'arcy....and they gave Louise Duffy 3 cracks, the lunch, the fenton spot and nights..

Im guessing was Jenny Greene was offered the lunch....didn't it say somewhere she was offered a today fm gig

RTE will find something else for Zamp like they do for Huberman, Doireann gahiry and others....

she's not as good now she is a zamperelli or whatever she is ... I think she should get divorce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

she's not as good now she is a zamperelli or whatever she is ... I think she should get divorce :D

And Mairead-RTE shoved Mairead into EVERYTHING, and she was crap at all of them.

Some of the shows didn't even last a full run (one series) when she was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

That's the nature of the business. It wouldn't surprise me if they always wanted another "personality" in that slot but weren't sure who. These are the same people who thought Al Porter was a radio presenter

The suits at yesterday fm are a bunch of twits, the al porter fiasco tells it all, he turned out to be a sex pest

I wouldnt call her voice Whiney - its pretty deep ... with the sort of like on 40 fags a day rasp to it

Yeah, Muireann's a smoker-she's mentioned it in some of her tweets.

Yeah, Muireann's a smoker-she's mentioned it in some of her tweets.

in all fairness a lot of radio DJ's (women and men) are or have been smokers .. and coffee junkies apparently - I like it, it may make them smell like an old ashtray and age their face by 10 years but it does make them have a great phlemmy/gravelly voice for radio :D

Marion funnicane ... need I say more? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

a lot of shows are declining rapidly I believe, Cooper's declined, I think the only one who grew in last few years was sadly Ferg D'arcy....and they gave Louise Duffy 3 cracks, the lunch, the fenton spot and nights..

Im guessing was Jenny Greene was offered the lunch....didn't it say somewhere she was offered a today fm gig

Jenny Greene was in talks with Today FM, more than likely it was about taking over Muireann's 12-2pm slot but Dan Healy burned rubber out the gate of RTE straight to her house to stop that from happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

And Mairead-RTE shoved Mairead into EVERYTHING, and she was crap at all of them.

Some of the shows didn't even last a full run (one series) when she was involved.
    So why is she still there ?. Is it cos she has multiple kids or a multiple millionaire husband ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Mairead is insufferable...kids kids kids mommy mommy as nauseam...

aw bless her - maybe she's just happy at being a mom and wants everyone to know...

in all fairness a lot of radio DJ's (women and men) are or have been smokers .. and coffee junkies apparently - I like it, it may make them smell like an old ashtray and age their face by 10 years but it does make them have a great phlemmy/gravelly voice for radio :D

Marion funnicane ... need I say more? :)

Some, not all. And the smoking thing was more popular when radio DJ's could smoke in the studio. Now, not so much.
    Marion Finucane and company are sort of a dying breed (pun unintended). Radio presenters, much like singers, need to look after their voices. I know Simon Young when he did radio said he has never smoked or taken drugs. And he was lucky, they were pretty rife in his era of radio presenting.

Coffee junkies, totally-especially since they have to be 'on' for the duration of the show.
    So why is she still there ?. Is it cos she has multiple kids or a multiple millionaire husband ??

I have no goddamn Idea. People used to think she was good looking (I never saw it-genuinely). So that explained why she got so much 'talking heads' gigs.
    And she was starting to wane out, thank God... I thought she'd disappear... by then she did Dwts.
    I think she's still coming off of the 'Dancing with Stars' buzz-so folks are like 'People LOVE her now'... they don't.
    She's woefully not cut out for presenting.

Irish Media has the habit of hiring folks who don't have 'it'-that quality that's needed to set you apart. Even if you do show your humanity on the odd occasion. (Muireann O Connell comforting Katherine Zappone after she spoke on the passing of Zappone's wife, for example, was a very human moment that so many wouldn't do-not 'good for the image').

But I imagine they'll try and peddle her as the 'mommy' presenter-until that train leaves the station very quickly. I mean, most mom's don't have the money to afford a nanny or a whole bunch of child minders as someone who's husband was bailed out by the taxpayers of IReland.

It's the most oddball choice I've heard in recent times. Like replacing a Harley Davidson with a bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I like Muireann O'Connell, seems to be more of a real person than many presenters. However, presenters getting moved on is part and parcel of it, as Muireann herself knows from getting the bullet from Phantom back in the day. These things happen if the numbers don't add up.

But if the answer is Mairead Farrell, I don't want to know what the question is. Absolutely insufferable.

I like Muireann O'Connell, seems to be more of a real person than many presenters. However, presenters getting moved on is part and parcel of it, as Muireann herself knows from getting the bullet from Phantom back in the day. These things happen if the numbers don't add up.

But if the answer is Mairead Farrell, I don't want to know what the question is. Absolutely insufferable.

going out on a limb here but if listening figures are down for a radio presenter could it all be down to the radio presenter?

other things I could think of:

the time of day the presenter is on - does that have an effect on listernership?

What kind of shows/music are on other stations that can be received at the same time? - could that have an effect on listernership?

see if they are up on that , why actually 'fire' the presenter? - why not move them around to a different time slot / genre of music slot ... but actually fire them right from the station for it?? - that seems pretty severe

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Cateym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Cateym wrote: »

I'd say once they knew they had Mairead Ronan, her goose was cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Cateym wrote:
    So her numbers were actually up!!!! And they still fired her??

The plot thickens..

• Advertisement

I like that in her twitter 'rant' she put that she liked and was going to miss 'most' of the people there ... :)

Advertisement